“A great dinner with a spectacular sunset!”

Rusty Anchor Restaurant
Good for: Large groups, Local cuisine, Families with children
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
Description: "Cape Bretons best kept secret"!!! A family friendly restaurant on the World Famous Cabot Trail. Enjoy a wonderful Home cooked meal overlooking the whale filled waters of the Gulf of St Lawrence.
Reviewed August 26, 2013

My husband and I wanted a relaxing dinner, so we opted to have our salads, mussels and wine outside on the patio while enjoying the sun as it was setting. Then we moved into the dining room to order our entrees. ( I didn't want all the food coming on top of each course so this worked out great and gave us a break to take in all our surroundings between apps and the main) The service was great, food was delicious. The mussels were yummy. Although the mussel broth is a secret, I figured out some of the key ingredients and our server confirmed that I was getting close, so I am going to try it out at home this weekend. This is the second time I had Jost Pinot Grigio in restaurants this summer and I have to say I am really enjoying it and will pick up a bottle to try at home with those mussels I am going to cook up this weekend. I think the Rusty Anchor is one of the few restaurants on Cape Breton that offers both an ocean view and the sunset from an outdoor patio. We usually eat here once per year but most often lunch time. Having the opportunity to stay in Pleasant Bay and enjoy an evening meal at the Rusty Anchor was a treat.

Reviewed August 25, 2013 via mobile

Stopped in with our 3 boys for dinner after a busy day along the Cabot Trail. The seafood was fresh and delicious, especially the mussels and snow crab. Prices were reasonable but a little higher than expected for the area. One of our better dinners during our trip

Reviewed August 25, 2013

Had an enjoyable dinner with young family. Food and service were both good (had lobster and shrimp). Very friendly and accommodating staff. Be sure to go out back to see the view - stunning.

Reviewed August 23, 2013

I ordered a pulled pork sandwich with a the restaurant's signature salad on the side. The sandwich was good - I liked the barbecue sauce. However, the salad, which cost extra (I think it was $3.00-$3.99 extra) was literally inedible. Despite the fact that this was the restaurant's own special salad, the chef served it up with greens that were soggy and starting to decompose. The strawberries were overripe and tasted like they were going bad. It seemed like we arrived during a busy lunch hour, but I really resented being charged for garbage that I literally couldn't eat. The server should have told us they were out of the salad, rather than serving me a bad one.

1  Thank Karen B
Reviewed August 23, 2013

The food here is fresh and delicious. I never liked mussels but the Rusty Anchor made me into a believer. They prepared their mussels in a vinaigrette that made me go back for more. their prices are very reasonable and portion size is big. The view from the restaurant at sunset is breathtaking.