“Average Spa”

Clumber Park Muthu Hotel and Spa
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Clumber Park
“Average Spa”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 7, 2013

We booked a day spa package and didn't stay at the hotel. We arrived and were greeted warmly and had a professional and good introduction. However I wouldn't consider the spa a 'spa' in the same way as other spa's in the region - such as the nearby thoresby hall and eden hall which have experience rooms, larger hydrotherapy areas etc. The 'spa' itself was no different than my own gym which also has a pool, jacuzzi, sauna and steam room but that was it. The outdoor hot tub was a highlight but rather small and I can imagine it's hard to get a look in during busy periods. We fitted 4 people in it but felt cramped!

The food itself was a massive let down for the whole day. We had prebooked our lunch on arrival- only for it to arrive 30 minutes late, and we had to rearrange treatments to be able to have lunch! The staff were apologetic and offered a complimentary drink which was appreciated but felt we were clock-watching and felt inconvenienced. This wasn't a one off. There appeared to be just one member of staff serving the bar/food in the spa all by himself, he did an excellent job but a pepsi max took 10 minutes to be brought over, during which time we were watching him clean up whilst waiting for our drinks. There appeared to be a lot of 'faffing'. I found my food was very good, and well prepared however my mother's sandwhich was cold (when it was meant to be warm) and her salad had been drenched in dressing!

Our treatments however were excellent and cannot fault them- very relaxing, professional and high quality.

Overall felt the spa itself was not a spa, overpriced for what was on offer and the food was a let down for the whole day.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Aedwards89

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (246)
Cambridge, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 6, 2013 via mobile

My husband and I stayed here for 2 nights for our first wedding anniversary. The hotel and spa were lovely; we booked a deluxe room (we booked late and there were no standard ones available), and it was great. The room came with Elemis toiletries, a huge bed, lots of refreshments, tea and proper coffee, a spa robe and slippers. The hotel was very clean, staff were friendly and the spa lovely. The outdoor hot tub in the forest was amazing! Good value too considering the room came with full use of spa facilities.

Breakfast was really good, with great choice for both continental and full English options. We hired bikes from the hotel and had a lovely day cycling round Clumber park- spa staff were very helpful organising the bikes. I would recommend bringing ear plugs if you're a light sleeper; we had quite noisy neighbours on the second night and the walls are not very sound-proof.

The only thing letting this hotel down (and we probably wouldn't have noticed if everything else wasn't so wonderful) is the restaurants. The choice was the Courtyard (formal) or the Normanton Inn (more informal pub style). We dined in the Normanton Inn, and whilst the food was nice, we thought it was very overpriced and service slow. Sandwiches were nearly £8, and I paid £11 for a salad. Not much choice for evening meals on the menu either. This wouldn't put us off coming back because the rest of the experience was lovely, but I would recommend driving somewhere else for an evening meal. We went to the Rose Cottage near Rufford on the second night and it was great- good value, lovely surroundings and a good choice on the menu.

Overall a really great stay in a lovely hotel, we'll definitely return!

• Stayed October 2013
Manchester
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 18, 2013

A lovely breakoverlooking Sherwood Forest. I took my other half as a birthday treat and the package I bought was worth every penny. Lovely room, wonderful setting, good treatments, nice indoor pool and mini hot tub outside. The restaurant and reception staff couldn't do enough for us. Would recommend this place for a weekend break.

Room Tip: If you're not driving, be prepared for train travel to retford and then ordering a taxi from the...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank kaz_eebo
SimonCPH, Manager at Clumber Park Muthu Hotel and Spa, responded to this review, October 4, 2013
Dear Kaz_eebo,

Thank you for your kind comments on your recent visit at Clumber Park Hotel & Spa. I am glad you both enjoyed your stay with us and look forward to welcoming back to the hotel in the near future

Warmest Regards
Sheffield, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 15, 2013

We had a lovely stay at the hotel. The spa facilities were excellent. There is a nice swimming pool, sauna, steam room, whirlpool and lovely hottub outside on the decking. We had the hottub to ourselves all the time we were there and we loved it (didn't want to get out!)

The staff were very good, polite and helpful. The breakfast was very nice, the room (got a deal on a Executive room) was great, with complimentary snacks (choco bars, cans of coke etc), and the room was very spacious. Ideal location too for visiting Sherwood Forest.

We will return very soon and will pass on the good vibes to people we know,

Room Tip: Go for the executive room, spacious and complimentary snacks and breakfast all included
Dear Colin B,

Thank you for your kind comments on your recent visit at Clumber Park Hotel & Spa. I was pleased to learn that you had taken us up on one of our exciting offers.

I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future.

3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 15, 2013 via mobile

We were looking to stay here when we attended a Segway Event in the grounds but decided it was not value for money. The check in time combined with our event time meant that we'd effectively have only a 17hr stay.

As it happened we attended our event and popped into the bar for a drink (called The Normonton Inn). The lady on the bar was not friendly and we felt like an inconvenience. We had 2 glasses of coke which cost £7.90!!!!!
OMG glad we didn't stay.

Toilets also : nice handwash and hand cream provided but door locks were faulty and the toilet seats were wobbly.

• Stayed September 2013
1 Thank zanidip
Dear zanidip,

Thank you for your comments on your recent visit at Clumber Park Hotel & Spa. I was sorry you felt our bar prices where excessive, when we produced our price list we made sure it was competitive with similar establishments.

Our 175 ML bottled coke is £1.95 and for a full pint is cheaper at £3.50 I hope this explains any confusion that you may have had.

Nottingham, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 9, 2013

We booked a one night curry and comedy with disco evening which the hotel runs each month. Overall we found it to be good value entertainment. Having driven up from Nottingham and been delayed on the M1, we only arrived about 30 mins before it started. The curry was Ok , 3 choices but none were very spicy. The comedy club was good and the staff brought drinks to the table and were attentive. The disco was also good and finished at 1am. It helped that there was a hen party there, kept the atmosphere going. The rooms were fairly basic , clean with a modern bathroom. Tea making service with biscuits. Beds were comfy,and If I was working in the area I would happily stay here with work. People in the main restaurant said they enjoyed their meals. Breakfast was buffet service with Tea and Coffee brought to the table. Mixture of continental and hot items. Unfortunately didn't get chance to use the Spa as had to get back early .

Room Tip: Chose room away from the road.
Dear U411483,

Thank you for your kind comments on your recent stay at Clumber Park Hotel & Spa.

The comedy Club & Curry evenings are proving very popular with all our guests and providing value for money.

I was sorry to learn that you didn’t have time to use our spa facilities, and hope to welcome you back to the hotel in the near future.

Hornsea, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 8, 2013

My husband and I stayed for 1 night as an anniversary treat. Judging by some other comments I think the staff must have changed completely. Absolutely nothing was too much trouble, all the staff were attentive and more than polite and kind in fact I would go back here for the lovely staff alone. We spent the night in a suite and my husband suggested it looked like a honeymoon suite,
we later found out it was. Spa was lovely and the treatments very enjoyable. Everything was spotlessly clean. The food in the courtyard restaurant I found to be exceptional, my husbands choices were good but he thought could have been improved slightly.
We plan on going back to the hotel next year as we were made to feel so special.
Many thanks for the complementary glasses of champagne with the meal they were a lovely touch.

Room Tip: Suite 60 exceptional for something special, near the road but didn't hear a thing all night
Dear Trishdobbybond

Thank you for your kind comments you posted on Trip advisor on your recent stay at Clumber Park Hotel & Spa, I like to congratulate you on your wedding anniversary and thank you for spending it with us.

As mentioned I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel next year

Warmest Regards
The Nottingham Belfry - A QHotel
BEST WESTERN Lion Hotel
BEST WESTERN PLUS West Retford Hotel
Crowne Plaza Hotel Nottingham

Been to Clumber Park Muthu Hotel and Spa? Share your experiences!