“Very poor value for money”

Muthu Clumber Park & Hotel and Spa
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Clumber Park
Reviewed April 15, 2013

A couple of months have passed since I visited this hotel with my girlfriend as part of a red letter day "country house escape with dinner for two" voucher. A lot of time has elapsed and I have become more and more annoyed with the experience I had here, not least because I recently encountered a much more enjoyable experience at another hotel that was a similar price range.

The receptionist was pleasant enough and checked us in without any problems, however since then everything went downhill.

Firstly, I think the term "escape" is misleading. The hotel is situated literally just off the road that runs through Sherwood Forest, which I found slightly unnerving given the potential noise levels coming from outside. Upon entering the hotel we found it to be completely manic with a wedding that was happening all around, so we felt that not only were we intruding on this event but that it was altogether very noisy during the whole visit - again, hardly an "escape" from anything.

Secondly, the room. We were given the larger room with zip & link beds which basically means 2 twin beds linked together, rather than a queen or king bed, so that was actually rather disappointing. The bed was ridiculously uncomfortable and sloped at either end. As for the room itself, it was sterile, small and the radiator made an unholy noise for the entire night - we were later informed it had broken. Moreover, our room was very close to the spa, meaning there was an absolutely unholy smell coming from the corridors and with no air vents.

Thirdly, the meal. I have a few food intolerances which means I have specific dietary requirements. The hotel assured me they could cater for me, however what I found was that in their main Courtyard restaurant, I was told that my choices were restricted to just 1 or 2 items on the menu and even then with multiple variations to the dish. For example, I asked for the scallop dish which was to come with a few accompaniments, most of which I could not have, however I wasn't expecting my plate to arrive looking so bare with only 3 measly scallops! The restaurant was also cold and had absolutely no atmosphere.

Finally, the breakfast being served in the same restaurant as all the wedding guests meant more noise and feeling as if we were intruding. The buffet breakfast itself was so poorly cooked as well - just to give an idea, we'd stopped at a service station along the way and quality of their breakfast was better than this hotel's!

On the plus side the Normanton Inn was very cosy and we felt more at ease, so we wished we had dined here instead. Still, given that the voucher did not cover any additional hotel expenses, our voucher for an expensive getaway for two gave us a noisy hotel with an uncomfortable room and terrible food! Definitely not good value for money and definitely would not recommend this hotel to anyone.

Room Tip: Book a room in another hotel!
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Glenn L
SimonCPH, Manager at Muthu Clumber Park & Hotel and Spa, responded to this reviewResponded April 20, 2013

Thank you for your comments on your recent visit to Clumber Park Hotel & Spa, I am pleased to say that we have just completed 29 bedroom upgrades which include fridges, iPod docking stations and Elemis toiletries to mention a few. These have been received by other guest as amazing and value for money for a three star hotel.

Regards

Write a ReviewReviews (1,185)

Reviewed April 12, 2013

We stayed at the hotel through a Woucher deal which included bed & breakfast with access to the spa facilities as well as comedy club tickets and curry.
The receptionist was friendly, check in was straight forward and we were given tickets to hand in for the curry which we were told was a buffet. Given that there was no lift we were also asked if we required any assistance with our luggage, which we declined but it was nice to asked. We were two couples and we had both paid to upgrade our rooms from the executive rooms included in the Woucher deal. Our rooms were next to each other but our friend’s room was newly refurbished and contained a mini fridge with a selection of free drinks and chocolate, ours had no extras other than a worn (very small label said XL but wouldn’t fit a size 16) robe & slippers, and the room needed a refresh & had no A/C. I did mention to reception that both couples had upgraded but we did not have the same facilities and standard of room as our friends we were told that that was because the refurbishment wasn’t complete but no refund was forthcoming. Neither room had a hotel information pack detailing the usual stuff on how to dial room to room the opening times of the various facilities etc. The room was ok but not great and considering we had paid extra for the upgrade very disappointing. We used the spa facilities twice, once on the afternoon we arrived and again the following morning after breakfast. Towels were provided and you could use your room card in the lockers. The spa was nice with a good size pool (for a hotel spa pool), sauna and steam room. There was also a very popular outdoor Jacuzzi, we didn’t manage to get in on our first visit but we did the following day and it was the highlight of our spa visit. A great touch was that quality Elemis products which were freely available in the showers and washrooms. We didn’t get any treatments as they were booked up during our stay. The lounge area of the spa was large and well decorated with plenty of comfortable seating. The water machines were of the type that were manually filled from mains water and needed to be cleaned. My friend’s husband spotted black bits in his water and realised that black mould had grown around the dispensing tap and had come away in to his water. We report this to the lady behind the counter who had the dispenser removed immediately for cleaning. In the evening we arrived for our curry buffet and were very disappointed. We did not expect a huge selection but no real choice was offered at all. The ‘buffet’ contained rice just pilau rice and either a generic chicken curry (bone in) or a generic vegetable curry and a poppadom. All of which was carefully portion controlled one large spoonful of rice and your chosen curry each. We did ask for more but were told we had to wait for everyone to eat first and then they would make an announcement for seconds. The announcement never came but our friends asked again after a while were given a second portion about 45 minute later. My husband couldn’t eat the rice as it contained sultanas and asked for plain rice as an alternative but this was not available. He was however given some chips in a small ramekin dish. Several others were also asking for alternatives due to the lack of choice. The comedy club part of the evening was absolutely brilliant. The comedians were of the high standard you would expect from any comedy club. The size of the room added to the ambience and wasn’t overcrowded. The drinks were hotel prices and could be put on your room bill. When the comedy show finished there was a disco until 12:30. The bar shut at 12pm with out any warning which surprised many of the guests who at least expect the bar to be open until the end of the disco. Breakfast the following morning was very tasty with a sufficient selection to keeping anyone happy. Service was friendly and fast. At check out we got quite a shock from our bar bill as 70% of all the drinks had been put against our room. We can only assume that the barman knew we were together and as a result billed our room for ease as we knew our husband had taken it in turns to bill the rooms. We did complain about this to the receptionist and were told that she would mention it to the bar staff. We weren’t happy but paid the bill. Next time I would recommend paying cash at the time the drink is ordered as this would be the only way to be sure your bill is correct. Luckily we were staying with friends who immediately volunteered to share the cost of the bar bill. We did enjoy our night away and as far as the Woucher was concerned at £99 per couple we received value for money despite the issues we encountered. I would definitely not recommend paying for the upgrade until the hotel has finished their refurbishment as room selection seems to be very much a gamble. Had I have paid the full price which was apparently £191 I would feel very differently and would still be stood at reception demanding some kind of refund.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank sunnydazeuk

Thank you for your comments on your recent visit to Clumber Park Hotel & Spa, I am glad you tried our value for money voucher offer this is a heavily discounted than paying normal prices, I have noted your comments and have been discussed with the team.

Reviewed April 12, 2013

I bought a voucher for myself and a friend through last minute.com for Christmas, and we finally got to use it yesterday (time constraints through work). We arrived to a dreadful smell which permeates the carpark and all the way across it to the Spa which is situated in the back. I's a cross between rotting cabbage and sewerage?!! Overall we had a pleasant time, and at £20 it is good value - this included use of the facilities and a light lunch. A few points for improvement which relate solely to the staff and menu....we were handed a menu in the lounge/bar area and told to pick something from it, and then the staff member walked away without any further guidance as to what we were permitted due to the deal we were on. The next staff member that came back to take the order explained we were allowed a sandwich and a hot drink or a fruit juice. The sandwiches are a strange collection of choices and neither of us fancied any of them...a chicken or ham choice would be a great addition. The staff member was very kind and allowed us to have a small bowl of the pasta choice instead..which was great, and we both enjoyed it. At about 3pm we decided to have a cup of tea and a piece of cake and returned to the bar area, which was deserted. Another member of staff wandered past and asked if we wanted to order something, to which we replied yes. She said she would get somebody. 10 minutes later we were still waiting at the bar, and eventually gave up and went back to the pool. Apart from the one girl who took our lunch order, we found the staff a little disinterested and more inclined to chat amongst themselves. When we left at 4pm there was no one at reception to say thank you and goodbye to...it required 2 staff to water/dust (not entirely certain) a plant in the bar area...I tried to make eye contact, but again, not interested. Some re-training required! Left the Spa and was greeted by the same eyewateringly bad smell as on arrival.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank harbykiwikate

Thank you for your comments on your recent visit to Clumber Park Hotel & Spa,I have noted the gray areas of you visit and I am glad that you had a pleasant experience

Reviewed April 11, 2013

Booked into stay here for 1 night as a newly married couple. Arrive to a very untidy looking hotel on the outside but decide to give it a chance. Walking upto the hotel a very strong smell of rotton eggs! Reception staff fairly friendly and go to our room. Corridors very nicely decorated shame about inside the room as definatly need an update an as for the views if you dont mind looking at rough grounds your fine. Used the spa which was average massage was very nice. Decided to go for dinner. Arrive and buy too drinks which were very expensive. Go towards our table to be told there r no menus but a board above other guest tables that are eating to stand up and read from so the romantic meal we had hoped for got off to a bad start. We both order a starter mine came out very quickly 5 minutes later we are still waiting on my partners starter finally arrives with no apologie! Main courses were appalling greased soaked fish and a burger bun so hard my husband struggeled to chew it. Ordered a coke which came out flat. Started to admire the surroundings to see greasy finger smears on the wall next to us very off putting. We decided enough was enough and complained to be told we could have a drink if we wanted. After paying £25 each for a meal like that a drink just didnt cover it. Promptly left and couldnt wait to leave will never return here again!

• Stayed: April 2013
1  Thank Smith2301

Thank you for your comments on your recent visit to Clumber Park Hotel & Spa, Our grounds are maintained by our grounds man who is responsible for the upkeep of the grounds and looks after our plants and outside areas as you can see form the photos the grounds are in good condition.

As we are in the countryside and surrounded by farmers fields we do have a strong country smell from time to time especially this time of year.

I can see that you both dined in our pub which has our menus displayed on the walls, I don't know if you where told that we have a second fine dining restaurant called The Courtyard which is just past reception where you checked in.

I'm sorry that you didn't experience all our facilities.

Reviewed April 6, 2013 via mobile

When we arrived prior to check in time. Our bags were looked after but we were ignored. When we returned at check in time we waited in a queue to find out our room was not ready we waited. 45 minutes later we requested a full refund we were given this but nobody was interested in helping us at all. Do not believe the website it dose not represent the hotel. Relived not to stay there!

• Stayed: April 2013
3  Thank Em15H

Thank you for your comments on your recent visit to Clumber Park Hotel & Spa, We are sorry that your room wasn't ready due to your arrival at the hotel, The male receptionist kept you informed about the situation and he apologized and gave you a full refund for the inconvenience caused, just to remind you that arriving at 1pm when your check-in time was 330 is a little early.

Reviewed April 2, 2013

myself and the girls went to the spa for a nice relaxing day before my sister in law had her baby.
We were not greeted with the best of smells as we pulled up, but the spa was nice and clean but the seating area was also the eating area which was ok not as comfy as we would like but nice the problem was that it was also for the staff of the hotel and spa to walk backwards and forwards with everything for both!
The treatments were amazing and the staff were lovely
The only other problem was having a 8 month pregnant lady that were told at 9 am that her treatments would be at 11 until 245 and told that she wouldn't be aloud to have her lunch 3pm and didn't want to change the times of her treatment with another member of the group with the same treatment, not the best
Also I was not happy with being told when we were aloud to eat(felt like we were clock watching) the food was amazing the best food I have had in a long time.
So overall it was an ok day but not the best!

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank leighann t

Thank you for your comments on your recent spa day at Clumber Park Hotel & Spa, As we are in the middle of a forest of open fields, on occasions we do have the smell of the country air.

I do apologize for any inconvenience caused to you and your colleagues due to your treatment times been altered.

Reviewed April 1, 2013

We stayed for a spa break checking in at 3pm for a spa treatment at 4pm. First we went to the spa area and used the steam room left our towels on the beds around the pool then went for a massage and facial at 4pm. Both treatments were excellent. When we went back to the pool at 5pm it was full of children, it felt more like a public baths than a spa area. This continued until 7pm. It then became quiet at 7pm. We asked at the spa reception and they explained that between 5-7pm children are able to use the pool and many were using the other facilities! Staff kept clearing them out but as soon as they were gone they were using the steam and sauna rooms and the outside jacuzzi. The hotel should clearly explain the times that children can use the pool and not just those with children so that everyone is aware and can plan their time better. We ate at the Normanton Inn and the food was good but the service slow it took over 20 minutes to get drinks. The breakfast was excellent and the service could not have been better.It is ideally situated for Clumber Park.

Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank LAT63
SimonCPH, Manager at Muthu Clumber Park & Hotel and Spa, responded to this reviewResponded April 7, 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your kind comments on your recent stay, At Clumber Park Hotel we have to cater for all types of guests using our Spa facilities, there are hotel guests, members, day spa users and so on.
We try to manage this having a set time for children’s swim times; this is between 5 & 7pm. This information is written on your confirmation and anyone else who makes a booking with us, there is even information on our web-site, so we have tried to inform all our guests with this information.

But I am pleased that you have enjoyed your time with us and I look forward to seeing you soon

Also consider these accommodations in or near Clumber Park
Acorn Lodge Guest House
Acorn Lodge Guest House
#2 of 6 in Worksop
Travelodge Retford Markham Moor

Been to Muthu Clumber Park & Hotel and Spa? Share your experiences!