“Excellent food but room quality varies”

Muthu Clumber Park & Hotel and Spa
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Clumber Park
Crewe, United Kingdom
“Excellent food but room quality varies”
Reviewed December 22, 2012

have stayed here several times for business reasons. Breakfast is good and staff are friendly. My most recent stay was in a room on the ground floor which smelt damp and felt a little unclean. I was expecting important phone call one evening but the reception weren't able to through. They allowed to make the call myself and waived the fee so it was a very good resolution.

• Stayed December 2012
2 Thank Liz M
simon c, Manager at Muthu Clumber Park & Hotel and Spa, responded to this review, December 26, 2012
Dear Liz
Many thanks for posting your comments regarding your recent stay; it was very pleasing to learn that you had stayed with us several times.
I am sorry that the bedroom you where given didn’t live up to your expectations and I apologise and I will certainly look into this particular bedroom you stayed in.
Thank you again for staying at Clumber Park Hotel

Kind regards

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (251)
County Durham, UK
Reviewed December 15, 2012

We were pleasantly surprised by the standard and quality of this hotel, the exec. room was spacious and clean and the food was excellent. The food in the A La Carte restaurant was excellent but I did feel that the drinks from the bar were too expensive for this venue.
The staff were friendly and gave a great standard of service but I did feel the Spa didn't live up to our expectations and treatments were not as good as others experienced elsewhere.
Overall a good hotel and would use it again.

Room Tip: Beware of costs at the bar!
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Dear Guest
Many thanks for posting your kind comments onto Trip Advisor. It was very pleasing to hear that all departments had contributed to making your stay with us enjoyable and adding that little bit more wherever possible. We do try to offer home from home comforts and service to all our guests.
I learned that the Spa team didn’t live up to your expectations and I apologise and I will certainly look into this.
Thank you again for staying at Clumber Park Hotel

Wiltshire, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 12, 2012

We booked Clumber Park for our wedding reception in September 2012
We utilised the Normanton suite for our function, which had recently just been painted - so recently that when we came to set up the room the night before the wedding, the painter was just putting his ladders away!
Initially we chose Clumber because they were willing to let us create our own wedding reception, rather than having to have one of the packages, as is so common with hotels these days.
The wedding co-ordinator was lovely, if not a little excitable and very distracted by other guests and goings on around the hotel.
We had good communication with the hotel throughout.

The wedding day.....................

We got married in church, so were only using Clumber Park for arrival drinks and canapes, evening buffet and 'do'.
On arrival there was a red carpet and and a staff member stood waiting with two glasses of our Prosecco - excellent!
The food was lovely, although we didn't get much of it due to having photo's taken - though a young lad on the staff offered to make me a plate of each canape and save it for me.... which he did! That was a lovely touch.
To cut out all our wedding details, everything wedding wise went very well - the food was lovely, and even when a guest of ours mentioned she was celiac, they made her the food to eat.

They did open one too many bottles of toast drinks, and cut up far too much cake which wasn't given to us when we left the next day, which resulted in the wedding co-ordinator making a trip to our home to bring us a whole tier of cake that had been cut and not needed (against my protestations that we only needed one tier cutting, not two)

The issues really started after the evening do finished...

The teenagers that came in to "clear the room" came in a whirlwind of laughing and shouting to each other, oblivious of us being there. They started roughly moving my centrepieces to the floor, spilling water, and whipping the cloths and chair covers off - quite forcefully in my opinion!!
I did ask one of the teenagers if he could empty the water and throw away the flowers from my centrepieces, as there was nowhere i could have done it, and to be fair he did. But i was worried if anything else would be intact.

When me and my husband went up to our room, the staff had plated up two lots of the buffet food for us, to eat after the evening do - this is a great gesture, but one which would have been greatly appreciated had the food been refrigerated all evening and only placed in our room once the evening do was over... not placed in our room 5 hours before the evening do finished. As a consequence, the food was un-edible and was wasted.

Then, tried to use the toilet to find no toilet paper, which resulted in my going back to reception at 2am to try and find someone who could bring me some toilet roll - this is a basic requirement in a hotel.
We had a pleasant sleep even though we were next to the main road in the bridal suite, and the mattress topper did not fit the mattress - it was far too short, but next morning there was no hot water.
We rang reception to ask them if there was a problem, to which they said they would sort and call us back - to no avail. We went to breakfast minus the facility to freshen up, only to be told that we had not called and complained, otherwise they would have sorted for us. Luckily my husband has a little more patience in him, as i could have climbed over the desk at the member of staff telling me i had not called down - in my book, this is just plain rude.

On our wedding day, this hotel lacked hotel basics, which tainted our memory of the day.

I would recommend you have your wedding reception here, but don't stay over

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank Lauren H
simon c, Manager at Muthu Clumber Park & Hotel and Spa, responded to this review, December 16, 2012
Thank you for your comments on this website and I am sorry that you did not enjoy your stay.

I am sorry that the night porter was unhelpful in helping you with your request and this has now been addressed.
We have recently replaced the mattress topper with a large new one.

I was glad to see however that you did find the wedding breakfast went very well and your comments regarding the wedding cake have been addressed with the supervisor in charge.

I am sorry that your stay was marred in such a way and I do hope that we are able to welcome you back to the Clumber Park Hotel & Spa in the future.

Dumfries, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 12, 2012

We had a large room that was very clean and tidy. All of the hotel staff were excellent and really welcomed our elderly Labrador again (we stayed en-route down south like last year). We didn't use the Spa facilities on this occasion just an early dinner in the Normanton Restaurant. I thoroughly enjoyed my meal which consisted of chicken, green beans and crunchy chips but my husband thought that his burger and chips were very over priced, although excellent quality and beautifully presented. We will definitely use this hotel again and again and have already recommended to our friends. The breakfast was one of the best I have ever had, such a lot of choice and we had the smoked salmon and scrambled eggs with the option of glass of sparkling wine!

Room Tip: Suggest away from the main road.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
simon c, Manager at Muthu Clumber Park & Hotel and Spa, responded to this review, December 13, 2012
Dear Guest,
I pleased to read how you enjoyed getting into the Christmas spirit with your work colleagues at Clumber Park Hotel.
I am glad you all enjoyed the Christmas “Bash” and entertainment that we laid on for you as it’s the first time we have had both live music and a magician together.

I look forward to seeing you all next year.

Kind Regards
Midlands, UK
Reviewed December 11, 2012

Stayed here for a conference nearby.

Food in the restaurant was excellent, much better standard than I was expecting (especially enjoyed the braised belly pork) and staff managed a large booking easily. Breakfast also good.

The room was fine - certainly comparable to Holiday Inn/other mid-range hotels, a step-up from Premier Inns etc. A huge comfortable bed; well maintained, clean room and a recently-refurbished bathroom. The room was pretty hot but as it was freezing outside I would rather this than being too cold.

Would certainly recommend this hotel, probably not for a luxury experience, but for a comfortable and welcoming stay. Did not use the spa so cannot comment on that.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your kind comment on your recent stay, We are very fortunate to be right next to the National Trusts Clumber park, Our guests only have to walk across the road to get into the park.

Our chef changes the menu quite regularly to assist with our guests needs and choice.

I look forward to seeing you in the New Year

Kind Regards
Nottingham, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 11, 2012

The hotel is ideally located next to Clumber Park and boasts a pleasant spa. Our stay was over night and meet our expectations easily. The staff were very friendly, the food in the restaurant was delicious although we did have a bit of wait for drinks etc. All in all I would definitely recommend this hotel and would absolutely go there again.

Room Tip: The large double bed is large and very comfortable so I'd book that!
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Nottinghamshire, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 11, 2012

stayed here recently for one night and was a little confused by this Hotel.We went to the reception and booked in had a bag but hed to carry it around with us untill our room was ready.
We went to the bar to have a drink and something to eat not alot of choice of either.There was an agument of over charging at the bar where they were charged what was double what they should have paid.We then went to the SPA which was very good,clean and efficient.We had a good time here especially with the hot tub outside.Then we went for an evening meal later,I wasn't very happy as there was a large room of diners and they stuck us in a conservatory bit next to the bar on our own.It seemed liked we were sidelined away from everybody,the service was poor and the meal very overpriced and poor quality.It's the first time I've looked at a menu and didn't know what to have.I was very dissapointed in the food and variety and quality of it.The room was OK and the breakfast reasonable,but very slow in clearing tables and restocking breakfast items.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank robertpannell
I really do appreciate your feedback following a recent visit to Clumber park Hotel, I am always grateful when guests take time to write a review as it helps me enormously in monitoring and striving to improve the levels of guest service we offer.
I am of course thrilled you enjoyed our Spa and leisure facilities as it is a fabulous venue for our guests to relax in.

Our menus are changed daily in the courtyard restaurant so if there wasn’t anything on there that you couldn’t decide on I am sure our chef would have made you something instead if you had let him know.
Thank you for bringing these matters to my attention, I hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back to the hotel in the future and in the meantime should you wish to discuss anything further please do not hesitate to contact me at the hotel.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Clumber Park
The Forest Lodge Hotel
#1 of 1 in Edwinstowe
Travelodge Retford Markham Moor
The Nottingham Belfry - A QHotel

Been to Muthu Clumber Park & Hotel and Spa? Share your experiences!