Review Highlights
Trip of a lifetime

Reviewed August 18, 2019
ISTJinLBC
Once in a life time experience.....or so I thought.... have got to go again!

This was such a fantastic experience that it is hard to describe. If you are even vaguely... read more

Reviewed March 22, 2019
ness1357

All reviews watch whales san ignacio lagoon rocky point life changing grey whales awe inspiring sleeping bag spy hopping milky way protected waters hand washing natural environment octopus guacamole great trip angie cots
Selected filters
Reviewed August 18, 2019

Going to San Ignacio Lagoon to touch or kiss a gray whale is the experience of a lifetime. Angie (owner) and her staff go above and beyond to help ensure that things run smoothly throughout the trip. There are so many glitches that can occur with cross-border travel, but Angie does her best to cover all of the bases. She is very organized and hands-on (in a good way). The Baja Discovery camp has the best location in the lagoon in my opinion. You can watch whales blowing and breaching from your camp chair and see the Milky Way at night. I highly recommend Baja Discovery.

Date of experience: March 2019
Reviewed May 19, 2019

One of the most incredible nature experiences ever! Touching these majestic creatures is beyond, beyond. The site is incredible. You see whales breaching , jumping, living from every part of the camp. No need to get on the boats. But once you are on the boats you are right there and they come up asking you to touch them. Just incredible!

However, if you think you will be glamping, you will not. If you are a camper, you will be very happy with the accommodations, hygiene and food. If you are not a camper, you may struggle. Full disclosure, I am not a camper. So my expectations were not met. Based on the cost and the website, I expected outstanding food, experience and accommodations. I experienced an outstanding experience. The food was more canned than fresh and had I known the menu, I would have brought a lot of bars and oranges and nuts and other food to supplement a menu that did not live up to my expectations of a healthy diet. They ask you to help them accommodate your needs, and they really try, but if you are at all picky, you should plan on meeting your dietary needs yourself. Also, it is shockingly cold at night. I wore all of my layers and my hat and my gloves to bet at night and was still cold. While the days are pleasant but crisp, the nights are windy beyond belief and quite, quite cold. I would have brought more layers and maybe even my own sleeping blanket. If you are a tea drinker, you need to bring your own tea. I took a few tea sachets from the hotel in San Diego and I am so glad I did. The tea they provided was undrinkable. And this was not just my estimation, another person on the trip who was a tea drinker decided to become a coffee drinker for the week because the tea was so undrinkable. Not sure how that happened. I have never been anywhere where the tea was bad.

If you are a camper and expect a beautiful spot with incredible nature experiences and are just happy that your food is hot, you will be thrilled. If you are thinking this is a clamping experience on top of the beautiful spot and incredible nature experiences, you may be disappointed. If you bring tea and food and maybe a sleeping bag that is super warm then you will be better prepared to deal with the negatives of the experience so that you can concentrate more on the positives of this beautiful place.

Date of experience: March 2019
2  Thank sfhappycamper
Reviewed March 22, 2019

This was such a fantastic experience that it is hard to describe.

If you are even vaguely thinking you might like this trip, then just book it with Baha Discovery. You will be very very pleased you did. We woke up to the sounds of whales breathing and could watch whales with our morning coffee!

That majestic grey whales actually come up to your boat to be touched is so so moving. The camp, the staff, the organisation everything is perfect. It is a heavenly place. Extremely well managed and deeply respectful of the environment. To be so close to nature and away from electronic and modern life was wonderful.

Congratulations to the management for such a great trip. To the camp staff - a thousand thank yous for making our trip so enjoyable. Delicious food even for challenging eaters, lovely hospitality, knowledgeable experts and very kind crew helping us on and off the boats.

Well done Mexico for recognising the value of nature and protecting this area.

We would go again in a heartbeat any time.

Thank you all!

2  Thank ness1357
Reviewed March 6, 2019

How can I describe having trouble tying up your shoes at 6am as you are distracted by spyhopping whales from right outside your tent? How can I describe lying awake at 3am on a rare still night listening to the whale blows? Or the trust exhibited by the gray whales that have been hunted and are still hunted by humans? No words can describe the moment when a mother introduces her 3 week year old baby to humans. Touching and being touched by these animals is awe inspiring and humbling. Not only gray whales but bottle-nose dolphins, myriad bears, listening to coyotes at night, watching the ospreys. This deserves in all respects to be a biosphere reserve. Congrats to Mexico for protecting it!
Onto other things.
Accomadation: Love my tent. Got one of the staff ones instead of the white ones! Warm and cozy. Wish it was a double instead of a single so I could snuggle the husband. Not biggy.
Food: was in a word....wonderful. Great Mexican fare. I like to hear that they changed to more Mexican foodstuffs instead of American stuff like spaghetti. The cooks are brilliant to come up with tasty things and they were able to accommodate various gluten-free and vegan diets. They always had snacks and drinks available.
Staff = brilliant. To name a few Jim, Lori, Amilcar, Pepe, Joel, Angie, Julio, Socorro, Pilar and everyone whose names I had not caught or (forgive me) forgotten.
Note: This is a rural area. Bring all that you need. If it rains you will get wet so have your rain gear. It can get into your tent as happened to some guests who had difficulty with the concept of closing ties and flaps when they left. You do need some common sense as this is not luxury glamping at all. In cooler weather the solar showers maybe very cold to the point where you decide that showers are overrated! Who cares. Time in showers is wasted as you could be watching the animals from shore. They are pretty fun though.
Expectations: I am a whale watching guide and captain (for 8 years now) and it is important to know that these are WILD animals. Have low to no expectations. You may or may not see a breach, or a spyhop or the animals may not want to be interactive. This is the mystique of animal watching. We were super lucky and saw lots of wonderful behaviours and interactions. Every trip is different. I wish everyone could have the same experience I did. I want to go back to visit or work one day. (HINT)

5  Thank KathrynST
Reviewed March 1, 2019

This was a trip of a lifetime, and I am so glad we did it with Baja Discovery!

Starting with Angie, running the show stateside from San Diego, to every single one of the staff at camp, including Pepe, Amilcar, Laurie, Jim, the boat drivers and other camp managers, and the amazing cooks - Socorro and Pilar, things could not have gone smoother, or we could not have been cared for any better. Everything is so thought out and every need is anticipated. Though it is the very best possible location to be with the whales, it is not an easy place to get to, but all arrangements are handled seamlessly. And all of the staff are off the charts passionate about the whales and being there, and all of them are very knowledgeable. I learned so much!

The most fabulous part was the whales. We were told to have no expectations, but this trip far exceeded even the highest bar. It is a magnificent wonder to be in these protected waters with the whales, and to be able to watch and experience them. And what a joy that they are curious about us. They really did come up to the boats, where we could see their eyes and blow holes, and they allowed us to touch them. This intimate experience with another species, especially of this size, is truly life changing.

The accommodations were wonderful. Large roomy tents with very comfortable cots with thick pads, sleeping bag, pillows, and a blanket. We slept well, and loved being so close to the water that we could hear the whales at night!

The food was delicious and plentiful, with 3 hot meals plus snacks after each boat outing. We had homemade tamales, chicken mole, fish tacos with grouper that was freshly caught, clams, oysters, rice and beans, fantastic guacamole, and much more. Drinks were available anytime, including coffee, tea, hot chocolate, soft drinks, beer, wine, and alcohol, as well as twice filtered drinking water.

The pre-trip information and packing suggestions were so helpful. We really tried to stick to the list, and we had everything we needed. Layers and good rain jackets/pants are a must, as the weather can change, it can be pretty windy at times, and we did get a little wet.

I was a little unsure about the comfort stations, but they were fantastic. 3 flushing toilets with lights in each room for nighttime visits, always clean with plenty of toilet paper, ceramic sinks for hand washing with hot and cold water. There were solar showers once the water warmed up in the afternoons, or you could take hot water back to your tent for spit baths.

Time went by so fast. In addition to the twice daily whale watching outings, we kayaked in the mangroves; took a tide pool walk and saw octopus, a seahorse, and lots of cool stuff; went birding in the mangroves by boat, walked along the beaches, and had several presentations about the whales. There were chairs set up all along the rocky point, where you could watch whales blowing, spy hopping and breaching right from the camp. We could have done this for hours. And the sunrises and sunsets were simply breathtaking!

Our particular group didn't have any kids, and the age range was probably early 30's to 80's. We all got along very well, as like minded folks with a passion for the whales, their protection, and that of the lagoon biosphere. The staff was so helpful, that the needs of any age could be accommodated. While climbing down the rocks to get in and out of the boats wasn't all that difficult, it was comforting that there were always 4 or 5 sets of staff hands reaching for you for your safety.

This was such an amazing adventure, and I am so glad we opted for the very best - Baja Discovery!

1  Thank OnTheRoadAgain42