“Mind Blowing”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in San Ignacio
Ecoturismo Kuyima S.P.R. de R.L.
Ranked #3 of 3 San Ignacio B&B and Inns
Reviewed May 15, 2013

I guess to just echo the other comments here...my time with Kuyima in San Ignacio made my entire month-long trip across Mexico. Also, 100% worth making the trek out to San Ignacio in lieu of other whale watching spots - I guarantee that you won't be disappointed. And I loved Mexico. But Kuyima provided an incredible atmosphere, unparalleled hospitality and man oh man that many whales, that close. Simply unforgettable. Can't wait to go back next season.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends
5  Thank Miguel M

Reviewed May 5, 2013

What can I add that others haven't raved about? I spent 3 days at Kuyima in Feb. 2013 and it was fantastic. The whales are amazing, the staff friendly, cabins cute and comfortable. I swear our boat captain calls up those whales! And when I touched my first whale he was as excited as I was. Another thing I really enjoyed was kayaking through mangroves--so lovely and with so many great birds! But a note to birders, the guides are all oriented toward whales and while they know the basics about the birds they are not bird experts. In fact I ended up teaching my guide a few of the bird species (and I am not a hardcore birder). But having said that, the birding was fantastic, including many right on the beach by our cabins, and several more species while kayaking.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled solo
3  Thank CeliaPG
Reviewed April 3, 2013

The Ecoturismo Kuyima is everything one could wish for in a unique, reasonably price vacation. We will return next year again with grandchildren in tow. There were so many whales...nothing can describe the magical experience of seeing up close these magnificent animals with their newborn calves.....looking you straight in the eye and checking us out! The camping experience was top notch - the Cabella tents,cots, sleeping bads, etc. appear to have been brand new. Warm showers available in the afternoon thanks to solar heating. Very clean facility. Tasty meals. Great to know this is all locally owned, managed and staffed. Two couples plus teenage son drove rented SUV from Loredo Airport to San Ignacio via the N-S highway and then on hard packed dirt to the Pacific location of Kuyima without any difficulty. No need to be concerned about doing this independently. Camped three nights using Kuyima equipment; the five of us each took four whale watching trips and were never bored. amazing lovely bay to walk at low tide. Water too cold for swimming. Bring layers and water proof jacket since it cools off even in the warm sun when mtraveling in an open boat out into the protected lagoon. guides are knowledgeable about finding the whales and respectful of these majestic animals during the encounters. This is not a fancy resort,but a great place to really experience the powerful natural world and still sleep well at night and eat well during the day. a bargain vacation.

Room Tip: We like the tent camping option better than the cabana, but if you don't like a cot....go cabana...
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
4  Thank AO2GO
Reviewed April 2, 2013

I recently visited Kuyima with a group of 8. We did not really know what to expect, so when we arrived in San Ignacio, we were happy to meet the San Ignacio staff and to get a detailed map of where to go from there. Just FYI, it's about 60 km from San Ignacio to the Kuyima camp sites (on the Bay), and 22 of those km are unpaved. The road was rough, so be forewarned!

Once we arrived at Kuyima we were pleasantly surprised. There is a dining "palapa" with tables and electrical outlets that can be used to charge laptops and cameras, as well as excellent $4 margaritas. The staff is exceptionally pleasant and helpful, particularly Toto and Liliana, who are the head honchos. Each meat meal costs $8, and each vegetarian meal costs $6. The choices were typically fish, beef, chicken, or scallops (based on the time of year), which were all very tasty. However, the meals were a bit over my budget, so I was able to cook on a camping stove in order to save some pesos.

The pongas (boats that take you out to see the whales) are basic open shelled boats, but well cared for, and the ponga drivers are generally very respectful of the whales and will not harass them after they've indicated they don't want to interact with the boat. Make sure to reserve some small peso bills in order to tip them-- we stuck to about 50 pesos per person per trip, but of course, adjust according to your desires. There is nowhere to exchange dollars for pesos at Kuyima, so make sure you've thought of this before you arrive. Each ponga is limited to 8 persons, and Kuyima provides (and requires) lifejackets.

The toilet situation is basic, but there is clean water and clean toilets with toilet paper, so one can't complain. Hot showers are available via bucket bath (exactly what it sounds like), which after a day of hot/salty whale watching, is like heaven in a bucket. The $2 Pacificos were also a welcomed addition to each evening.

The Kuyima campsites (where we stayed) had a great array of osprey nests around, which made for excellent bird watching. It's also possible to go across the lagoon via ponga to go birding in nearby mangroves before a whale watching excursion.

We were delighted that they accepted credit cards (for meals, alcohol, or extra whale watching trips) or dollars for our final expenses. The camp was very safe, though extremely windy at night. Extra props for having separate recycling depositories for paper, aluminum, plastic, and organic waste.

Overall, Kuyima was an outstanding camp and we really enjoyed our time there.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
3  Thank HappyTrails2069
Reviewed March 20, 2013

We spent 3 nights with Kuyima and it was wonderful. The whales were amazing, the food was good, the cabins were comfortable. All the staff were helpful and friendly. I was impressed by the combination of eco friendly and tourist friendly. I'd highly recommend it.

Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
4  Thank KootenayHeather
Reviewed April 8, 2012

It is worth your while to take the trip to Ecoturismo Kuyima. The folks there are wonderful, what they are doing is incredible. This group offers camping, fresh food and an experience you can have no where else. We went out on their boats for the ultimate whale watching experience. In their small boats, you get the opportunity to ride along-side of and pet or even hug the grey whales. They say that January-March is the best time to see the males & females. We were there in the end of March and were able to see all of the females and calfs. INCREDIBLE!

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled with family
5  Thank TahoeJenay
Reviewed June 23, 2011

I loved my trip to Kuyima. We drove our small sedan from the main highway, which next time I'll make sure to get some type of SUV or truck. We made it to the camp site and we had a driver for a boat all to ourselves. He took us out in the mouth of the bay where we were able to see the whales go up ad down. We even touched them as they came along the side of the boat. It was the most amazing experience! I have already thought of how to return with members of my family to do this again.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled as a couple
#4 of 7 in Mulege
Desert Inn San Ignacio
Desert Inn San Ignacio
#1 of 3 in San Ignacio

Been to Ecoturismo Kuyima S.P.R. de R.L.? Share your experiences!

Additional Information about Ecoturismo Kuyima S.P.R. de R.L.

Address: Jose Maria Morelos #2 oriente | esq. Miguel Hidalgo, Zona Centro, San Ignacio BCS 23930, Mexico
Location: Mexico > Baja California > Baja California Sur > San Ignacio
Beach Free Breakfast Free Parking Pets Allowed ( Dog / Pet Friendly ) Restaurant Room Service Wheelchair access
Ranked #3 of 3 B&Bs / Inns in San Ignacio
Price Range: $165 (Based on Average Rates for a Standard Room)
Ecoturismo Kuyima Hotel San Ignacio