“Immaculate service, and that's only one of its impressive attributes”
Review of Queens Head

Queens Head
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed July 14, 2013 via mobile

Truly a great experience. Set quite a bit off the main road to marlow so that it has a quiet back garden feel, this pub like the Kings Head up the road is set an old red brick style building with ample seating out the front and inside. The menu is clear and concise and containing many varied items from a spicy bean burger to swordfish, and it was for the latter that I plumped for. The meal was very nice with good accompaniments of spring onion mash, lentils and caper sauce. I also went for dessert as the main was so good which was a homemade white chocolate and hazelnut cheesecake which was delicious, the only problem being there wasn't more of it!
The service definitely should be mentioned as I have in the heading as it deserves highlighting. As well as working hard the two waitresses on during the visit were very attentive and I noted getting on with what I believe were the more regular customer on a more familiar and personal level, which I always think is a bonus. There are little touches such as bringing the moveable specials board out to each table if eating which set this place apart from many contemporaries.
I think the price is very fair for the dishes on offer. It will be more expensive that the average pub if you are basing your potential choice purely on price, but I think the regular dishes on offer are of a higher standard like the swordfish so you're paying for that, and also I think a swordfish meal for £16.50 is at least £2-3 cheaper than I would expect to pay for that dish.
So overall very good. The only potential problem being that because it is slightly off the beaten track it is rightly known as "Marlow's little secret" and so the volume of people was about right; tables were turning over outside at a pace that meant no one was left wanting, but with trip advisor et al I'm sure they will get more custom. But I would be confident they can handle it!

Reviewed July 14, 2013

We booked this pub on recommendation but when we arrived there was a power cut and no cooking could take place. This was obviously beyond their control however they dealt with the situation extremely badly. We had ordered drinks at the same time as announcing our arrival. Despite knowing they couldn't supply food they nevertheless took the drinks money and then said they were closed. When asked why they hadn't rung to advise us of the closure (the power had been out for hours) they then argued and tried to claim they had. The attitude of all behind the bar was very offhand and arrogant. I wouldn't visit this place again until management has changed. Terrible attitude.

Reviewed July 2, 2013

Having checked out the Good Pub guide for local pub food, we came across the Queens Head in Little Marlow. We booked An evening meal for 5 of us last Sunday and I have to say I was not expecting much as we've been pretty disappointed with pub food in the local area for some time now. But what a find! The Queens Head is a beautiful old 16th century country pub with very friendly staff and excellent food. I really was very impressed with the experience and the fantastic quality of the food and shall definitely be returning. I can see why it is known as Marlow's Little Secret and am very pleased to have discovered it!

Reviewed June 7, 2013

Our group of ten friends on a reunion weekend in Marlow enjoyed the lovely food and atmosphere of the Queens Head on a busy Saturday night in mid-May. The staff dealt with us very efficently and with a lovely manner, with each course arriving for us all with perfect timing. We come from different parts of the country but all agreed that this is the sort of characterful, unpretentious pub and restaurant that would attract us back to the area in the future. Thanks for a lovely evening.

Reviewed June 3, 2013

Friends introduced us to this tucked away little pub.

Food, service and atmosphere were great. The pub has a garden for those warm days an a car park tucked at he side.

A great fin and worth the visit.