TripAdvisor

“A disappointment!”

The Old Bakery Branscombe
Ranked #2 of 4 Restaurants in Branscombe
Cuisines: British
Description: Historic thatched bakery in the heart of Branscombe, owned by the National Trust and run independently as a tea room and museum space with a focus on seasonal food, traditional crafts and local heritage.
Reviewed 4 weeks ago

After walking to look at the Old Forge which was fascinating to see, we were looking forward to a cream tea at the Old Bakery. We had our little dog with us so opted to sit outside in the garden. But each table had a little stone placed on it with the words No Smoking. We could have understood this attitude if the tables had been close together but they were all quite far apart. So as my husband likes to smoke a cigar I'm afraid we didn't stay and so missed out on our cream tea which I'm sure must have been lovely judging by the nice comments other people have posted.

1  Thank Claire H
Write a reviewReviews (151)

Reviewed September 12, 2019

This is a lovely spot for a cream tea. Delightful scones and delicious jam with the obligatory clotted cream :) Seating is available inside and outside in an attractive setting - choose inside if you want to avoid the wasps!

There's also an array of cakes on offer inside the bakery, and we found it impossible to leave without taking a generous slice of lemon drizzle away with us to enjoy later. Yum!

Date of visit: August 2019
1  Thank richandliz28
Reviewed September 5, 2019

Visited the Old Bakery for lunch. Delicious vegan pasty, with excellent salad, followed by a lovely bit of cake. The food was fantastic, staff warm and friendly and the setting was beautiful. Will definitely be back!

Reviewed September 4, 2019 via mobile

We visited on a sunny late August lunchtime and sat in the garden. It is a while since we last visited and they seem to have downgraded the menu. We had 2 x homemade soups with bread and 2 x cheese scones and chutney which were both very good. The lunch choice is somewhat limited though compared to what used to be available (for example, sandwiches/ploughmans). We were still hungry so had cakes afterwards, we all had a drink, either tea or a soft drink. Service was fairly good but we thought the food was quite pricey (it is N.T. though so to be expected)!

1  Thank F9259KFsuew
Reviewed September 3, 2019 via mobile

Food was delicious. I actually said this was the nicest sausage roll I've ever eaten.
I just wanted something light as it was getting rather late in the day. The salad was divine with some unusual additions such as agretti and goose foot. Very pretty leaves and nice subtle flavours. The staff were lovely. Altogether I had a lovely time. Nothing was too much trouble and the lovely waitress wrote down the names of the salad ingredients for me. Such lovely people. Made our day actually. Oh and a quick & efficient service. Even though they were quite busy. It was a pleasure to visit. I recommended you to two of my neighbours today who have lived here a long time but have never visited.

1  Thank 161mouse