“Fantastic place, rooms great, food superb, service spot-on!”
Review of Masons Arms

Masons Arms
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Branscombe
jetsetter010
“Fantastic place, rooms great, food superb, service spot-on!”
Reviewed September 2, 2008

Having just returned from Devon where I stayed at a number of different places - this has to be one of the best. Great location, friendly staff, lovely room, and the food was fantastic.
I wasn't expecting the stay here to be so good after seeing some of the reviews but was really pleased and my expectations were surpassed.
In terms of the food I was half expecting really bad pub grub but experienced a superb dining experience in the restaurant.
The staff were friendly and the customer service spot on, which can sometimes be such a surprise these days in the UK!
This really made the difference .

Would fully recommend The Mason's Arms at Branscombe on all fronts!

• Liked — The food
  • Disliked — Can't think of anything!
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled with friends
2 Thank jetsetter010

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (157)
Ireland
Reviewed August 15, 2008

Just back after 4 nights in the Mason's Arms. A most enjoyable stay, despite some poor weather. We had a cottage in a lovely setting looking out over the valley. The accommodation was fine, with plenty of room and a fine big bathroom with seperate shower and bath. Everything was provided and we were very comfortable. We dined for 3 nights in the bar, good pub grub. We dined on the other night in the dining room and that was excellent. All I can say is that the people complaining of the food must have been in a different inn to the one we were in. We found the staff to be friendly and helpful.

The village itself is scattered over the countryside. There are some lovely walks in the area. The walk to Beer is well worth making, but be careful of the path that goes through the caravan park at the beginning as the path is quite stoney and hazardous in places. The alternative climb to the top of the cliffs is quite steep, but worth it and its easier on the way back.

All-in-all a very good experience.

• Liked — Views
  • Disliked — Distance to dining room
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled as a couple
3 Thank ajmullIreland
Aubrey, Texas
Reviewed August 9, 2008

Not a lot to say about this hotel which is too bad. Our room on the back of the hotel got the noise from the kitchen. The room was only average, adequate in size with a comfy bed. The food was good, but nothing great. It's an attractive hotel in a nice village which is the best thing it has going for it.

• Stayed June 2007
2 Thank texhills
East Sussex
Reviewed July 1, 2008

We have just returned from a lovely trip to Branscombe to celebrate our wedding anniversary and stayed at the Mason's Arms. The accommodation was lovely and clean and even though the jaccuzzi was not working in our room the proprietors did give us a discount to compensate for this. The hotel and restaurant staff were polite and attentive, however the personal touch was lacking and you got the impression that it was a forced politeness.

The food and accommodation was of a reasonably high standard, however we did find that it was quite overpriced given that it a AA rating. On the whole our stay was a pleasant one in beautiful surrounding countryside however the next time I think we will stay elsewhere as it is liable to break the bank balance!

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — The price
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank DKBK
Hampshire, UK
Reviewed June 24, 2008

We booked 2 rooms at the Masons Arms, a small double and a supposedly 'luxury' cottage room. I have to say that I was far from impressed...peeling paint, damp patches in the entrance hall, very dated fitted furniture, stained carpet in the bathroom, old, lumpy mattress. Generally clean but looking tired. I understand the nature of the older properties but the rooms are such that you can hear almost everything going on next door.

It is truly a beautiful spot in Devon but the accomodation is a bit of a let down.

The food was quite nice but the service, as mentioned by previous reviewers, was pretty unreliable.

Shame really as it has the potential to be stunning.

• Liked — The views
  • Disliked — The room
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Midbat
Uk
Reviewed June 18, 2008

My wife booked this Hotel for a Birthday treat so I thought I would have a look at the reviews which made me a little worried. We arrived through the little Devon country lanes to find a Beautiful Thatched Country Inn WOW.
We arrived early and the helpful receptionist recommended we had a little lunch and a drink in the bar and she would let us know when our room was ready.
As it was my Birthday I thought I would try one of the beers with a choice of five local beers this wasn’t that easy. So I went for one of The Branscombe beers which were made down by the Beach and spot on. Now it was time to eat which was the part some reviews don’t rate, and as I’m a bit of a foody and was wondering what the food was like. Well what a great choice starting from a basic cheese sandwich all the way up the scale to Rib eye steak with pancetta kebab, asparagus & stilton butter and this was only the bar menu. So I opted for the fresh Branscombe crab sandwich and my wife had the Kiln roasted salmon , I have to say this is the best crab I have ever eaten and it was landed on the shore of Branscombe beach as the barman informed me as well as local lobster ,Seabass and mackerel when in season. I had started to relax about the food by now and thought maybe the menu was not to everybody’s taste as I had read about no fresh fish on the menu and get rid of the chef well there was plenty of fish and the chef is doing ok by me . After the normal check in service the receptionist showed us to our room (not pointed to a mass of corridors) and told us a little bit about the surrounding area which was helpful. The room was nice and spacious and clean with high standards of fittings TV, kettle etc (no satellite but I have come away to the country to enjoy myself not sit in my room and watch TV). The weather had been good to us so we went for a walk to the beach which is about 10mins walk and a fairly flat path, Branscombe beach is a pebble beach with large car park and large cafe set up. You can just see the last remains of the Napoli which was beached off the coast last year but the clean up operation must have been very good as there is little disruption from the ship now. Then it was time to head back and get cleaned up for dinner which we were having in the bar for the first night and the restaurant the second night. I will keep this short as I can talk about food for ages, I had the spit roast Branscombe lamb which was served pink and with roasted vegetables and my wife had Salmon with spinach and pancetta salad both dishes were nicely presented and tasted great, for dessert the we had west country cheese to share this was nice to see so many English cheeses and not the usual French ones.
The next day we had a look around Sidmouth and then back for dinner in the Restaurant at the Masons Arms. A smaller menu than the Bar but still plenty of choice also a Branscombe menu which uses local ingredients
I went for the scallops and asparagus starter and the Branscombe Lobster Salad main course, my wife had the smoked salmon, and Seabass with risotto and baby veg. You can have bar food served in the restaurant but still pay the £27.50 for three courses which works out expensive for bar food and I don’t see why you would when you can sample the food that we ate.
I have to say 10 out of 10 to the chef for using so many local ingredients and offering such a varied menu which I believe accounts for all taste and budgets.
On checking out I read the guests comments book which was full of praise so I added my praise
Finally The Masons Arms is on my list for going back and I would recommend it to anybody wanting a nice few days away with good food.

AOL's new homepage has launched. Take a tour now.

• Liked — The trip back in time
  • Disliked — leaving
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank mathew_scott
Surrey
Reviewed June 15, 2008

We were in need of a rest and booked a break at the Masons Arms, Branscombe.

Colin and Carol Slaney gave us a very warn welcome when we arrived.

We had a super cottage room with stunning pastoral views. The food in the restaurant was consistantly delicious.

The sea is only a slow 20 mins stroll by rural footpath and the cliffs and views are wonderful. We hardly left Branscombe.

We arrived home rested and relaxed and are already looking forward to another visit.

• Liked — The room and views
  • Disliked — We enjoyed every moment
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
Also consider these accommodations in or near Branscombe
Woodlands Hotel
Sidmouth Harbour Hotel - The Westcliff
The Dolphin Hotel
The Dolphin Hotel
#1 of 1 in Beer

Been to Masons Arms? Share your experiences!