“yum!”

Masons Arms Restaurant
Ranked #2 of 4 Restaurants in Branscombe
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Nestling in the heart of Branscombe, one of Britain's most picturesque villages, is the award winning, 14th Century, The Masons Arms. This charming thatched Inn dates back to 1350 - a cider house turned country pub - and the men who cut the stone for Exeter Cathedral drank here, hence the name. With only a leisurely ten minute stroll to Branscombe Beach, The Masons Arms offers an ideal base to escape the stresses of modern life and enjoy the magical vista of sea, beaches and the spectacular walks offered by the ninety five miles of Devon and Dorset's Jurassic Coast. The authentic interiors ooze character with timber frames, low beamed ceilings, pine cladding, whitewashed walls and a huge roaring log fire. Our award winning Restaurant offers an exciting and creative menu in relaxed fine dining surroundings. The Masons Arms kitchen brigade are dedicated to sourcing the very best of local Dartmoor produce. The cooking is classy yet simple, perfect for a special meal or relaxing Country lunch. We serve as many as six locally brewed bitters and the finest wines from around the world. The 21 bedrooms at the Masons Arms Branscombe, are cosy, stylish and inviting, blending comfort with character. The Masons Arms has been awarded a FOUR STAR rating under the Inn category by Quality in Tourism.
Reviewed May 20, 2013

we had 3 evening meals there, finishing up in the bar area for coffee/liqueurs/liqueur coffee. excellent cooking.especially the fish. pity they seemed to have only 2 soups (french onion once and mushroom twice, but both were excellent). the waiters worked very hard and seemed efficient. we didn't have to wait particularly long for our food.

There are newer reviews for Masons Arms Restaurant

Reviewed May 12, 2013

Went for lunch one day and returned later in the week for an evening meal. Great choice on the menu for both. A must place to visit and eat.

Reviewed May 11, 2013

The Summa Dat beer was outstanding at the Masons Arms along with the food, the service and the welcoming atmosphere.
We were staying in the Chalets on the beach at Branscomb and found this little gem of a pub/restaurant after a 2o minute walk from the chalet.
We sampled the steak, the scallops, the plaice, the venison, the burger,and the belly pork all of which were cooked to perfection and served top class.
Not the cheapest place in the world but certainly not the most expensive and great value for money. If we are lucky enough to return we will most certainly eat here.

Reviewed May 6, 2013

We stayed overnight at the Masons' Arms and thoroughly enjoyed our dinner and breakfast there. Everything was locally sourced and cooked to perfection. The atmosphere was friendly and welcoming. All in all, a brilliant find!

Reviewed May 3, 2013

The Mason Arms in Branscombe is a lovely pub without doubt, not the cheapest I've been in, but neither is it the most expensive. The menu is quite average really, and the prices are fairly average for the type of pub/restaurant. We ate there twice, once on Sunday 28th April, I had the steak, medium rare, and I asked for new potatoes in preference to chips, no problem at all.....it still turned up with chips. The chips to be fair are quite nice chips, but....The steak was cooked as asked medium rare. My wife had the beef and venison pie, which was quite nice...worth the money? Probably not for a pie, but hey ho. I noticed on the bill that the steak had an extra 50p added, but I let it go as it was only 50p. The second visit was three days later on Wednesday 1st May. I went for the steak again, but instead of medium rare, it was most definitely medium. My wife fancied the mushroom burger, for £8.50. Now we expected some veggie type burger made up of mushrooms...wrong...it was one large mushroom with relish in a burger bun, not really value for money I'd suggest. The bill was still inflated by 50p, I queried it to find out that several items often ended up with inflated prices beyond the menu, some by as much as £4. That's not on as far as I'm concerned, I've no doubt that the majority of diners just pay the bill without checking it.
Having said all that the beer choice was excellent, it was well kept, and the staff were helpful and pleasant. I don't mind paying a little extra but I can't help feeling we didn't get value for money on our visits concerning the food. I know I could have complained, but we were exhausted from walking several miles, and starving so I put up with it...will I eat there again, probably not I'll go a little further up the road to the Fountain Head, but I will still visit for beer...probably.

1  Thank total-tan-seeker