“Home from Home”
Review of The Bulstone Hotel

The Bulstone Hotel
We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Branscombe
The Bulstone Hotel
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Branscombe
Reviewed May 25, 2014

We have been returning to this hotel most years since our 13 year old daughter was 2 so the fact that a sophisticated teen is happy to return this year should speak volumes!
If you are looking for a swanky hotel then this will not be the place for you. When we first booked I was relieved to find a comfortable hotel where other guests with children would understand and not ask to sit"away from the kid" which we had experienced in Surrey when our baby was actually sitting quietly. Kevin and Judith started this hotel to enable families to have relaxing holidays.
I warmed to Kevin straight away on our first visit when our daughter woke whilst we were at dinner and we did not get upstairs quickly enough to calm her down and she started to trash the room-Kevin hardy batted an eye and spoke soothingly to her! We have always found Kevin and Judith to be very kind, warm and eager to please and they genuinely care about their guests and take pride in what they do.. We have always enjoyed the food which is prepared with care. When our daughter was younger she was occasionally fussy and Judith was always happy to find something different for her.
We liked the fact that we could dine in peace whilst our daughter slept with the hotel walkie talkie providing a monitor and afterwards we could swap stories with other diners in the lounge over coffee.
I am amazed that people on here have seen fit to complain about serving dishes! I have never found this hotel to be dirty. I would rate 4 and a half stars with half star loss because on our last visit I felt a little updating was needed in places and perhaps more selection with the bedroom tea and coffee and guest toiletries but minor points really. To be fair a lot of updating has already happened and obviously cannot all be done at once. I also found the mattress a little uncomfortable although my husband and daughter slept very well but then i suffer with my back.
We would be happy to stay here whether we had children or not. We feel very well looked after and there is always plenty to see and do.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
7  Thank Rosie S

Reviewed September 20, 2013

There isn't a lot of hotel or B&B accomodation in or near the beautiful valley and beach of Branscombe so this hotel scores just for its great location. I stayed there for a couple of nights at the end of cycling trip and it was absolutely fine. The reservations I have recommending it are that some parts of the hotel building are very unlovely and the room I stayed in was quite basic, while the price was not. I was happy to pay the price just for the location, others may quibble. I've noticed some slightly unflattering comments about the owners but in my experience they were very friendly and helpful.

Room Tip: It does have rooms/suites that are suitable for families with small children.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled solo
5  Thank Stevessssmith
Reviewed August 11, 2013

Obviously a great place for families with children....but it's a great place for grandparents (and even great grandparents!) too. The food is superb, fresh and flavourful vegetables, fresh fish, subtly flavoured sauces, and very good wines.
A splendid spot down a Devon lane.

Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Jonhampo
Reviewed April 9, 2013

For a relaxed, comfortable family holiday, this is hard to beat! Kevin and Judith made us feel very welcome with their relaxed friendly style. The suite of rooms we were given was just perfect for our family, and the food was an absolute treat - worth a visit for that alone! Although we didn't take advantage of the hotel's child-listening service (to enjoy dinner on our own), the proximity of the children's playroom to the dining room meant my wife and I were able to relax over a leisurely breakfast / early dinner while the children played within sight. Our children are still talking about the great playroom and their own bedroom, and we are all looking forward to another visit later this year!

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank 394JeremyS
Reviewed January 10, 2013

We stayed here back in the Autumn and had a lovely stay with our one year old. Rooms are warm clean and comfortable and have a 2nd room for the cot which is perfect. Highlights were Judiths meals in the evening which we could eat along side our baby monitor in the dining area. Good play area for young children. Shame more families do not visit this home from home as very relaxed and more flexible and laid back than normal hotels. You do need a car as not walking distance to anything but donkey sanctuary, Branscombe and Bicton park all very close and highly recommended.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank walkstraight
Reviewed August 20, 2012

Am writing this while still here. We wanted somewhere for a few days after a week of self catering. It isn't a slick city centre 5star place, but why should it be in rural Devon? The level of service is excellent, down to the detail of asking me in advance what sort of veggie sausages and soya milk I would like when I said I was veggie. The children's tea at 5 is great, and dinner for us at 8 has been superb, though the portions are huge and we have felt a bit guilty leaving so much. The rooms are large and comfortable, with eclectic furniture. There have been quite a few families here during our stay, each with their own little requirements: we are veggie, another wanted to all eat together at 6, another wanted their 7yo to eat with them (we were asked if we minded, though not sure what one could say but yes, though she was beautifully behaved), another couldn't get their son to settle so were late for dinner, and all this was accommodated with very good grace.
We would definitely come back.

I have noted a few people on here complained about tv reception, didn't seem to bother the children and wifi was strong enough to get skyplayer on my iPad, so beyond that I don't see the problem.

Stayed: August 2012
3  Thank Nigel D
Reviewed August 2, 2012

As I was attending an Event at the Donkey Sanctuary where food/refreshments were provided I wanted somewhere that was walking distance to the Donkey Sanctuary as I don't drive & I also wanted somewhere that would let me have room only without breakfast. This was perfect! The only negative about the whole experience is I'm a fast walker as I like to power walk but even for me it took 40 minutes comfortably to walk to the Donkey Sanctuary. Fortunately, for once the weather was lovely but if it had been pouring down with rain the walk would not have been a nice experience unless you had Waterproofs of course! Judith was very nice & was welcoming. She didn't mind that I had to check out at 06.00AM to get to the Donkey Sanctuary for 07.00AM (I had to give myself enough time.) I will consider staying again but think that I will wear better walking shoes next time as I now have blisters on my feet from all the walking! But to be honest, I think I might try staying in Weston next time but will see! :o)

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled solo
2  Thank P1NK-AND-FLUFFY
Also consider these accommodations in or near Branscombe
Masons Arms
#2 of 2 in Branscombe
Branscombe Campsite
Branscombe Campsite
#1 of 3 in Branscombe

Been to The Bulstone Hotel? Share your experiences!