“Discovery”
Review of The Bulstone Hotel

The Bulstone Hotel
We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Branscombe
The Bulstone Hotel
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Branscombe
Reviewed August 11, 2013

Obviously a great place for families with children....but it's a great place for grandparents (and even great grandparents!) too. The food is superb, fresh and flavourful vegetables, fresh fish, subtly flavoured sauces, and very good wines.
A splendid spot down a Devon lane.

Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Jonhampo

Reviewed April 9, 2013

For a relaxed, comfortable family holiday, this is hard to beat! Kevin and Judith made us feel very welcome with their relaxed friendly style. The suite of rooms we were given was just perfect for our family, and the food was an absolute treat - worth a visit for that alone! Although we didn't take advantage of the hotel's child-listening service (to enjoy dinner on our own), the proximity of the children's playroom to the dining room meant my wife and I were able to relax over a leisurely breakfast / early dinner while the children played within sight. Our children are still talking about the great playroom and their own bedroom, and we are all looking forward to another visit later this year!

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank 394JeremyS
Reviewed January 10, 2013

We stayed here back in the Autumn and had a lovely stay with our one year old. Rooms are warm clean and comfortable and have a 2nd room for the cot which is perfect. Highlights were Judiths meals in the evening which we could eat along side our baby monitor in the dining area. Good play area for young children. Shame more families do not visit this home from home as very relaxed and more flexible and laid back than normal hotels. You do need a car as not walking distance to anything but donkey sanctuary, Branscombe and Bicton park all very close and highly recommended.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank walkstraight
Reviewed August 20, 2012

Am writing this while still here. We wanted somewhere for a few days after a week of self catering. It isn't a slick city centre 5star place, but why should it be in rural Devon? The level of service is excellent, down to the detail of asking me in advance what sort of veggie sausages and soya milk I would like when I said I was veggie. The children's tea at 5 is great, and dinner for us at 8 has been superb, though the portions are huge and we have felt a bit guilty leaving so much. The rooms are large and comfortable, with eclectic furniture. There have been quite a few families here during our stay, each with their own little requirements: we are veggie, another wanted to all eat together at 6, another wanted their 7yo to eat with them (we were asked if we minded, though not sure what one could say but yes, though she was beautifully behaved), another couldn't get their son to settle so were late for dinner, and all this was accommodated with very good grace.
We would definitely come back.

I have noted a few people on here complained about tv reception, didn't seem to bother the children and wifi was strong enough to get skyplayer on my iPad, so beyond that I don't see the problem.

Stayed: August 2012
3  Thank Nigel D
Reviewed August 2, 2012

As I was attending an Event at the Donkey Sanctuary where food/refreshments were provided I wanted somewhere that was walking distance to the Donkey Sanctuary as I don't drive & I also wanted somewhere that would let me have room only without breakfast. This was perfect! The only negative about the whole experience is I'm a fast walker as I like to power walk but even for me it took 40 minutes comfortably to walk to the Donkey Sanctuary. Fortunately, for once the weather was lovely but if it had been pouring down with rain the walk would not have been a nice experience unless you had Waterproofs of course! Judith was very nice & was welcoming. She didn't mind that I had to check out at 06.00AM to get to the Donkey Sanctuary for 07.00AM (I had to give myself enough time.) I will consider staying again but think that I will wear better walking shoes next time as I now have blisters on my feet from all the walking! But to be honest, I think I might try staying in Weston next time but will see! :o)

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled solo
2  Thank P1NK-AND-FLUFFY
Reviewed July 29, 2012

Families will love staying at this hotel. Location - its off the beaten track so you don't have any traffic noise but it's still close enough to the beaches of Branscombe and Sidmouth and everything else you'd need. Accommodation - plenty of parking next to the building which has a lot of character. Two bedrooms and a bathroom to each room. Our suite had bunk beds and a cot in the kids room but we moved the cot into our room quite easily. Some of the furtinure is a bit tired as is the decor but I'm really struggling to find faults here! The kids playroom is wonderful and they loved it. There are plenty of things to do and it's big enough for loads of kids. Meals - I have never been to a place where the meals have so consistently delicious. Judith is a wonderful cook and guests will be spoilt here, just remember to take your appetites as the portion sizes make sure you are not left hungry. The little people are fed earlier and after a day at the beach it is timed just right. Kids fed, bathed and in bed by 7.30pm leaving the parents to have a relaxing meal whilst listening with a monitor. Staff - what a friendly couple. It did not take long to warm to Kevin and Judith and we were soon laughing and joking with them. They were also very accommodating with regards to what the kids wanted for their meals and even bought them bubbles and chocolates. Thoroughly recommend this hotel.

Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed July 1, 2012

The extremely friendly proprietors, Judith and Kevin, made us all feel very comfortable in their spacious, clean hotel. Every room is a suite including a second room for children. Communally there is a lovely lounge, a sun room, a garden, a very large indoor childrens' play area with nice seating for the adults and brilliant toys. We have now stayed twice, once just my husband and myself, the second time with the family, 16 in all. On both occasions the owners couldn't do enough for us. Any desires the customer has, they try to satisfy and they are very happy to chat on the phone beforehand to discuss wishes.
The food is always fresh, Judith's cooking is excellent and varied, served in a very pleasant dining room. Neither the breakfasts nor the dinners could be faulted- copious and delicious, though the vegetables tended to be underdone, never overcooked.
The children were in their element playing, at 5pm they can have their special dinner whilst the adults enjoy tea/coffee and cakes. We found they then all slept very well, allowing the parents to also! Baby monitors in the rooms meant that parents could relax.
In walking distance is a pub and the airfield. The roads are very very narrow so quite difficult for buggies or small children, but in Branscombe village there is plentiful parking.
We found very minor problems in the rooms (a creaky headboard or a wobbly loo seat), as one might have at home. Do not expect a 5* modern hotel but a warm happy home in which you can feel very comfortable, private, alone or convivial with Judith and Kevin.
We thoroughly recommend this hotel experience, especially if you have children.

Room Tip: All rooms are similar but have a different combination of beds/bunks in the childrens' room , so...