Tripadvisor
Mountsorrel
Post
Inbox
Search

“A lovely meal spoiled by a cold draft”

John's House Restaurant
Reserve a Table
Bookatable
Ranked #1 of 15 Restaurants in Mountsorrel
Cuisines: British
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 4 weeks ago

The food is lovely, the service is excellent but make sure you don’t sit next to the window on a chilly January night. Unfortunately we were sat next to the window and my partner got very chilled before I noticed and changed seats. Even though I was wearing a jumper I still felt the chill. All in all a special birthday meal spoiled as the perfect evening wasn’t and we left chilled. I just hope the waitress passes on our comments as her comments were - no one had complained before.

Date of visit: January 2020
Write a reviewReviews (729)

Reviewed January 19, 2020 via mobile

We visited on Fri Jan 17th 2020 as a Christmas present for my husband's parents and absolutely loved John's House!
We ate from the lunch menu which was exquisite, a real culinary experience - everything was delicious from bread through to coffee and petit fours, we were delighted.
Our main point of gratitude though was the kindness shown by the restaurant team in accommodating my father in law who is severely disabled. The team wonderfully ensured that we could eat in a location to suit his needs, adjusted the table and did everything they could to thoughtfully manage our situation which made for a seamless afternoon.
We cannot thank John's House enough for making it possible and are already thinking about who we can give this treat to next.
We would wholeheartedly recommend!

4  Thank FrancescaW201
Reviewed January 16, 2020

It's all good: the staff, the service, the menu, the food, the little chocolate fancies at the end of the meal (worth going just for this!).

We'd been before and we'll go again.

4  Thank Clive H
Reviewed January 12, 2020

We've been wanting to visit for some time and finally did Nov 2019. We'd booked earlier in the year but had to cancel due to an ill child. They were exceptionally understanding and kept our deposit (we were after their official cut off) as credit to when we did dine with them which seemed a very fair approach. They also took it off the bill without us evening mentioning it at the end of the evening.

The ambience was professional but relaxed. The food was truly superb. Interesting, beautifully presented, well balanced with some lovely touches. The sort of food that makes you smile when you look at it and when you eat it.

The staff there were perfect - friendy, helpful, knowledgable and accommodating. Always the soft touch. The place ran like clockwork and everything was pristine. I'm generally quite picky (see previous reviews) and I could not find fault with any of it.

Also a nice touch was coffee and petit fours downstairs.

Cannot recommend this place enough.

Date of visit: November 2019
3  Thank DJA78
Reviewed December 20, 2019

I have just had the most fabulous meal with the most fabulous service with my son for the second year running as the start of the Christmas period. The staff and service was second to none and we were made to feel like old friends despite it being only our second visit. Absolutely no faults and it will be our go to visit for next year too.

Date of visit: December 2019