“Magic happens.”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of La Maillerie

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Busserolles
La Maillerie
Ranked #1 of 1 Busserolles B&B and Inns
Los Angeles, California
“Magic happens.”
Reviewed January 10, 2010

I have to say, one of my favorite moments last year happened during a walk back to my La Maillerie cottage on a path I had never taken. I suddenly came upon this massive white horse (think "Blade Runner".) After feeding it grass for about 30 minutes I continued on my walk. I then entered this near-tunnel of green foliage (hello "Harry Potter") and then suddenly BOOM the path ended at the rushing brook that sits right next to my cottage at La Maillerie. It was a totally surreal moment that made me understand more completely the true beauty of the French countryside.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled solo
1 Thank meTonyV

Business
Santa Monica
Reviewed December 29, 2009

My husband and I visited a couple years ago, then I returned last summer on my own. It was perfect both times. The proprietors arranged daily French lessons for me from a marvelous teacher in the village. They also arranged a kayak trip on a nearby river that passed some lovely chateaus. They couldn't have been more helpful or more friendly. My apartment was the smallest they offer, but was plenty big, with a fireplace, kitchen, BIG bathroom and its own private patio right alongside a stream. Clean and bright and lovely. After a week, I still wanted more. One note: You'll need a rental car. Can't recommend it enough. So, so charming!

• Stayed June 2009, traveled solo
Los Angeles
Reviewed November 23, 2009

La Maillerie is a wonderful escape from the ordinary. We had heard about the place from some friends and decided to try it following a trip to Paris – about 2.5 hours away by train. From the train station we rented a car - the trip through the lush, rolling hills of the Dordogne is magnificent. La Maillerie just down the way from a tiny village that doesn’t seemed to have changed much in the last 200 years, and offers a bucolic charm we weren’t sure still existed in this day and age. Set on an idyllic little stream and surrounded by old-growth trees and fields of wild grass and heather, there are three ivy-clad guest “gites” -- all large, comfortable, and well equipped. Ours even had a loft, perfect for a couple of kids. Having a kitchenette for breakfasts and the occasional lunch was definitely a plus. The property owners are extraordinarily friendly and gracious, speak fluent English (bonus!), and went out of their way to make us feel at home. We took several day trips via the spider web of tiny roads that wind through some of France’s most unspoiled countryside – but were equally happy sitting on the terrace of our gite with a bottle of wine, a book, and the sounds of the waterfall. We’ll be back for sure.

• Stayed September 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank TFarr
Florence, Italy
Reviewed November 22, 2009

My stay at La Maillerie was absolutely delightful. I was looking for a place with a special atmosphere, where to relax. I stayed at "La Rive", one of the gîtes. "La Rive" offers all the modern comfort, plus a nice terrace, where I could read and have breakfast. The property is located just a few-minute walk from the village of Busserolles, and it was a perfect place to stay and enjoy the beauty of South France. The home’s proprietors were the most welcoming innkeepers - always willing to make sure I had a relaxing and enjoyable stay. I cannot write enough good things about La Maillerie! A special place with special people.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled solo
Tampa
Reviewed November 5, 2009

La Maillerie is a rural French vacation property consisting of three "gîtes", or homes. It is located within easy walking distance of the center of the small quaint town of Busserolles in the Perigord Vert area. There were eight of us in our group, staying in two of the gîtes (named "La Maillerie" and "Le Moulin") for one week. Each of these two comfortable, fully equipped gîtes has three bedrooms and can accommodate at least six persons. The buildings are located in a 3-hectare (7-acre) property next to a small creek and waterfall. There is a washer and dryer available to guests for a small fee. La Maillerie's owner was very accommodating during our stay. She answered questions, gave us maps and directions, and even provided a spare laptop so that we could have Internet access using their free wireless network.

There are several wonderful marked hiking trails in the area. La Maillerie is also a good base for day trips to Brantome, Sarlat, the caves of Lascaux and Font de Gaume and many other good sites to visit. Most days, our group had breakfast and dinner at the gîtes and ate lunch on the road.

We all had a memorable time at La Maillerie. The reasonable rental fee (divided among all members of our group) and the ability to prepare meals at the gîtes makes La Maillerie a great value. We highly recommend it.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank jrod53

Been to La Maillerie? Share your experiences!