Viewpoint Nong Khiaw/Ban Sop Houn

Book in advance
from
$5,190.51
per adult
Check availabilityView full product details

Ways to Experience Viewpoint Nong Khiaw/Ban Sop Houn
from $5,190.51
More Info
See what travelers are saying:
Selected filters
Reviewed October 9, 2017

I woke up early and started hiking at 6:00am in hopes to get some good photos. I went very fast (50min to viewpoint 2) but it was very exhausting even for an experienced hiker. The view was breathtaking with the fog/clouds rolling in and out of the mountains. The platform on top is great to sit and relax/eat/nap.

It had rained the night before and although the way up was diffucult the long way down was terrible. The path is not in the best of shape, it is the end of rainy season though, so im sure things got moved around. I highly suggest getting a good walking stick somewhere along the hike as it will come in handy on the way down. Also if you have this gloves I would advise wearing them. There are plenty of things to grab onto on the way down but lots of thorns, sharp rocks, biting ants, etc. The trail was poorly marked, splitting at some points, however as long as you keep going they will eventually lead out. It was slippery, hot, and a hell of a hike down leaving me exhausted beyond belief.

That being said if the conditions were perfect and the trail a little more cleared I would give it a 5. In the end fantastic experience, I highly suggest it to anyone in the area, just plan accordingly. Also bring plenty of water and wear good shoes, not a sandal affair.

Date of experience: October 2017
2  Thank Where Wil W
Reviewed August 10, 2017 via mobile

I would recommend this hike for the truly incredible view at the top. However, it's not for the faint of heart. The climb is steep, it's quite slippery, (we fell a few times) and the mosquitoes are relentless, so wear long pants, long socks, and a long sleeve shirt, and bring lots of insect repellent. It took us 1.45hr to the top and 2 hours down due to such slippery conditions.

Date of experience: August 2017
2  Thank Kirst1993
Reviewed August 9, 2017

Climbing up the way to this viewpoint requires a good condition. But when you are up there on top, all the sweating is forgotten.

We were in Nong Khiaw in February, hence the footpath was dry and in good shape. I can imagine how slippery it will be in rainy season!

On top the view is magnificent!!
We were up there in the late afternoon and spend some time there alone. But later it got crowded with the people climbing up here for the sunset.

Date of experience: February 2017
3  Thank JSEZH
Reviewed August 3, 2017 via mobile

I went up both of the popular viewpoints in Nong Khiaw on the same day. I first did the new one (Nang None) which is 15000 entry and I hiked up to what they call "viewpoint two", which is somewhat higher than viewpoint one on that same mountain. The path is extremely rocky, and given that it had rained, the steep muddy parts were very slippery and involved holding onto a lot of trees and rocks. Especially during the descent me and my friend fell a few times. The view in the hut up there (god knows how they built it) was beautiful though!

Nonetheless, when we walked up the second original viewpoint (Phadeng Peak on the Sophoun side of the bridge, 20000) we realized that it was a lot easier to walk and had a (quite a lot) better view. Climbing it takes longer because the path is not so steep but rather a continuous path of small steps in the sand. The view up there is incredible being higher and with a much wider and better angle than the new one. Note that I would strongly discourage walking either of the viewpoint paths in the dark when it has been raining!

Date of experience: August 2017
3  Thank Henry A
Reviewed July 16, 2017

The view from this viewpoint is simply stunning. Do not miss it if you are in Nong Khiaw.
If you walk up late, keep in mind that it might be already dark when you walk down from the hill. Make sure you have a flashlight/torch (e.g. on your phone) with you, otherwise in dark it's almost impossible to come down through the jungle.

Date of experience: February 2017