“WE'D BETTER GO WEST”
Review of Hotel Armida

Hotel Armida
Ranked #5 of 7 Hotels in Guaymas
Reviewed May 30, 2014

Truth be said, my dear wife and I decided to take a weekend off from work in town. We live in Guaymas, Sonora, northern Mexico, and we had a pest control at home, so I took the chance to buy us a night in the Executive room of Hotel Armida.

It sounds better than it looks,though. The only "executive" treatment we received was at the front desk, where receptionist were dressed as executives, yet the way they took our information and settled our reservation was totally impersonal, they never looked at us really, not a single moment.

Then there was the room, old paint, old furniture, it looked like a 2-star motel in the middle of nowhere, and believe me when I say this, WE ARE NOT IN THE MIDDLE OF NOWHERE! Still, we could hear the conversations of the people in the room nextdoor as if they were in ours!

The reservation I had made, and the price I paid included the buffet for one person, and this was not outstanding either, except for the price of dishes "a la carte" which was too expensive for what they offered.

I remember having stayed in another hotel, less expensive, with no fancy names for the rooms, only numbered ones, which was far more convincing and comfortable, plus gave me the sensation of amazing cleanliness, which was lacking at the Armida.

I would recommend that other hotel, not the case of Armida, at all. Even for a romantic night with your beloved one.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank SUNSKYWALKER

Reviewed March 26, 2014

Due to our business partner, we always get placed in this hotel for about 4 or 5 days. For the last 5 years, I have been coming to this hotel, and it is just getting worse and worse, I am sorry to say. I will return again in a couple of months’ time, due to our business partner… but if I had a choice, I would probably try the Holiday Inn Express hotel down the same road… that is about 2 years old.

This is what I would say about this hotel:

POSITIVE POINTS:
Unfortunately, as hard as I try to find nice points… there are so few.

Rooms are relatively big, and beds are comfortable. Internet is free, and to be fair, worked quite fast with few glitches. TV has a very good selection of channels.

Breakfast is reasonable, as is the menu for dinner. Quality is quite good, priced reasonably. The restaurant stuck to the hotel (El Oeste) is really good, but I will write a separate report on that.

Honestly can’t find anything else to include in this section… and I am trying hard.

NEGATIVE POINTS:
Too many.

Painting the walls does not mean that the hotel had a make-over. It is STILL really old, shabby and going downhill very fast… only with a different coat of paint.

Staff at reception are truly rude, arrogant, unprofessional and do nothing to help you, unless you complain. Check you bill when leaving, since they wanted to charge me for an extra night and food that I did not have. Corrected – YES, upon requesting the bills with MY signature on it.

Gym is a very small room, with just OK machines, although very limited in exercise possibilities.

The pool area and garden seems to be the pride of the hotel, but for me it simply is too cluttered, untidy and gives me the feeling of a “dirty” place.

Rooms need to be brought into the 21st century. Again, it is not a coat of paint that does the job… no… it NEEDS to be updated. Bathroom is tired, worn and in desperate need of a make-over. Once again… not paint! A COMPLETE MAKE OVER. Lighting of the room is pathetically faint.

Staff in the lobby restaurant need a lot more training, to be able to understand what good service is. Yes, they are friendly… but not professional.

I keep my valuables with me at all times. Never happened to me, but my colleague “lost” money that he had left in the room. No one even tried to do anything to when we complained about it. Be careful… the cleaning staff will “clean” more than just your room.

SUMMING UP:
This is a so-called “4 star Hotel”, but to me seems more like a cheap road-side “Motel”.
I come here a few of time a year, and truly sorry that this hotel does not do anything to reinvent itself – besides the new coat of paint. Over the years, it is simply going downhill fast. I would recommend driving an extra 25 km to San Carlos, and staying there. Much, much better options there. This hotel is simply a dire hotel and becoming tragically overtaken by time… and management does not see it. What a pity!!!

Room Tip: Rooms on the first floor. Avoid the rooms on the ground floor... they do not feel clean
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled on business
2  Thank Trave1Bandit
Reviewed October 12, 2013

We were here in a wedding to a good friend of my wife. And the food and everything was very good. This might not be a high class place, but it's not pretending to be it either. We would say it is a 2-3 star place. This hotel is nice with a inner court yard and a pool, all well maintained. The place gives you the good Mexican feeling and vibe. The breakfast is very good, with a huge selection of continental stuff as well as Mexican food. Very tasty.... :-)
We chose to stay while we where in the party, and just needed a bed. So we took the cheaper alternative room they had in the back of the hotel at the parking lot. Simple standar but the beds were nice and it was clean. The rooms in the inner court yard has a higher price, if they have a better standar we don't know. Didn't check them out. The hotel has a secured parking lot wich is good. The service at the front desk is fast, polite and good. Better than many of the more expencive places we have stayed at in the US and Europe.
This is a place we would stay at again when we are in the area during the winter seasson.
During spring, summer and early fall we prefer the beach in San Carlos area witch is just 15-20 minutes away.

Room Tip: If you where to have a room in the inner court yard, I would get a room on the secons floor towards...
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Fredi B
Reviewed September 24, 2012

The previous month we had stayed for a week at the Marinaterra hotel in San Carlos. We were planning to go there for the 2 week stay in September. But because my wife needed a reliable internet access we decided not to stay at Marinaterra. The decision was correct. We had good internet access in hotel room. We stayed on level 2 (above ground floor) and there was no lift at Armida and not bell boy when we came and so we had to carry our own bags up the stairs. The hotel stay was comfortable. The hotel staff were very courteous and the front desk staff spoke English. There were many groceries and fast food restaurants in walking distance including McDonald's, Burger King etc. The hotel was much quieter than Marinaterra. My only beef with the hotel is that Friday -Sunday, the place becomes very very noisy. The swimming pool is right in the center of the rectangular layout of the hotel and noise there pretty much carries to most rooms. There was very late night noise at the pool and often loud music. The hotel staff made no attempts to restrain noisy guests. Most of these guests are those who come on the weekend and the place is full with noisy teenagers and music. A newly constructed Holiday Inn has come up opposite McDonald's and this hotel will lose the business of business travellers if it does not restrain noisy guests, particularly after 10.00 PM in the night.

Room Tip: we stayed on the (north) road side because there is a banquet hall on the south and if there is a m...
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
7  Thank nearmsp
Reviewed April 4, 2012

This was our second time we stayed here for one week this time. Still, I think the best choice if you are staying in Guaymas and not in San Carlos. However, this time we did have some issues which did not make it is as enjoyable as last time. First of all the 200 series room which overlook the pool with a king size bed are over the top of the banquet room. Last time not a issue, this time on one night during the week the band starting playing at 10pm and stopped at 2am. They were so loud it sounded like it was in our bathroom. When I went to the front desk to try and see if anymore banquets were being held the woman was less then helpful. I speak some Spanish but she would not even try to help us. Lucky for us no more banquets were held at night.

The rooms are not spectacular by any means but ours was clean. Hard to get wash cloths but we did mange to find a very helpful front desk manager who would get us ones from other rooms. They must have a problem with people taking towels as they always seemed to only have large ones. We were working on our boat in the boatyard so I was able to bring in our own pillows too as theirs were awful. The beds are very hard but we got use to it.

If we had to we would stay there again as it was the best choice for us to be near the boatyard as San Carlos was just to far. Passing through I would stay in San Carlos which is such a nice relaxed beach town. Price was the same at around $80 a night.

Like I told someone it is like a Howard Johnson's.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled with family
6  Thank Sue W
Reviewed January 13, 2012

This was our first stop after crossing the Mexican border.

The hotel is nothing special, the pool is nice for the kids, I regret that there have been many people are drinking beer in the pool.

The staff is helpful, we only stayed one night because the city of Guaymas does not really interest.

Good Stop if you want to continue further south.
Secure and clean

@

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
4  Thank Joe C
Reviewed December 16, 2011

We stopped in guaymas exhausted from the drive on ourway to P.V. I think the place is over priced it looks rundown and not clean. The worst thing about the place is it smells like cockroach spray yuk! I didn't see any of the little critters but smells like they were here! The noise was unbearable we had to call the front desk 3 times to see if they could tell the kids to keep it down. The reviews say it is a great place to stay. I would like to know if they are talking about the same hotel.. Think I paid to much around 120.00 US. Will never return!

Room Tip: Don't bother with this hotel!
  • Stayed: December 2011, traveled with family
5  Thank Karri A
Also consider these accommodations in or near Guaymas
Hotel Playa de Cortes
#3 of 5 in San Carlos
Sea of Cortez Beach Club
Sea of Cortez Beach Club
#2 of 5 in San Carlos

Been to Hotel Armida? Share your experiences!