Hotel Armida
Ranked #5 of 7 Hotels in Guaymas
Reviewed March 20, 2011

I'm almost afraid to write what I really feel about the Hotel Armida because it might attract more of the Gringos that currently go to San Carlos, and that could drive the price up. I visit the Guaymas / San Carlos area at least once per month, and have found the Armida to be the best value in the area. The rooms are always clean, the restraunt is superb, and the El Oeste Steakhouse is absolutely the best in Guaymas. Their pool and garden area is absolutely beautiful, clean and well maintained.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled solo
5  Thank JoeN44PB

Reviewed October 19, 2009

I recently drove from the border at Nogales to Puerto Vallarta. The drive was awesome - especially from Mazatlan to PV. That piece was about 4 1/2 hours. If anyone is looking for a great drive, maybe visit both destinations with a short overnight in Tepic - charming Mtn town. I digress. We were expecting to spend our 1st night at the Holiday Inn in Ciudad Obregon, but after a longer than expected stop for car permit, tourist card and dinner in Hermosillo (Mariscos los Arcos - Delicious!!!) we only made it to Guaymas. We tried to find a hotel recommended by the waiter at Los Arcos to no avail and we spontaneously pulled into Hotel Armida. It is a business class hotel with a nice steak restaurant and it was quite lively for a Thursday. The rooms were not 4 star, more 3 star, but they were safe, comfortable, clean and the grounds are beautiful with a great swimming pool. The breakfast buffet was absolutely amazing. One of th ebest breakfsts I've ever had in Mexico. If you are passing through - at least hit the breakfast! We paid $US65 for a standard room. That was a discount vs the posted rate.

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled with family
1  Thank srichter
Reviewed November 28, 2007

First, I can’t believe that the bad reviews were about the same hotel we stayed at last week (November 14th, 2007). My husband and I drove up to the Armida, exhausted, on Night 5 of a 6 night road trip and couldn’t believe our good fortune. It was all we needed, but not more than we wanted to pay for (resort-style amenities we wouldn’t use). We left the next morning fully refreshed.

Big pluses of the Armida

1. Secure parking (gated with an attendant), convenient to the rooms.

2. Clean comfortable room with nice large bathrooms (ample counter space)

3. Good price. Since we arrived without a reservation, we took what they had left which was the most expensive “Executive Room” (900 pesos, which still isn’t bad). If I were reserving though, I’d be just as happy with the Economical Room at 570 pesos. The only difference I could see between them (from the pictures on their website) was a bit of décor difference and the fact that the Executive Room has a King bed and the others have 2 Queens. From the hotel website, which depicted our room accurately, all the rooms appear to be equally large with work desks and large bathrooms.

4. Excellent Complimentary Hot Breakfast Buffet (including made to order omelettes).

5. WiFi in public areas. The only thing we missed was the lack of WiFi in our room but this wasn’t by any means a deal-breaker because the WiFi worked fine in the restaurant and pool area which were steps from our room. (Possibly if you had a room which opened onto the pool area it would work in your room as well).

6. Two excellent restaurants. When you’ve been traveling all day, the last thing, (in our experience) you want to do in a town or city that is new to you is to hunt for decent restaurants or even get back in your car. Here at the Armida they have two on-site. One, the casual restaurant where the breakfast is served, also serves lunch and dinner. The menu is mostly Mexican (fajitas, enchiladas, etc.) at what appeared to be very reasonable prices. It’s bright and a bit noisy so we decided to eat at El Oueste, their steakhouse. What a lovely place! The décor is like a small and cozy northern hunting lodge (wood paneling, dim-lighting, Buffalo and deer heads on the walls). My husband and I ordered Chateaubriand for two which was as good as any we’ve had anywhere. The 380 pesos plus tip (for two of us) included the Chateaubriand, baked potatoes and veggies and a huge salad/soup bar. Looking around us, the clientele appeared to a mixture of American (or Canadian) travelers like ourselves and locals. There were several local couples out for a nice dinner and a table of 9 young women obviously celebrating a special occasion. Service was pleasant and very efficient. What appeared to be the manager was running around making sure everyone had their drinks and food as quickly as possible.

7. Lovely outdoor pool surrounded by gardens and small fitness room (about 5 pieces of equipment: elliptical, treadmill. Not sure what else).

All in all, this place is a “keeper”. I can’t imagine anyone who wouldn’t like it unless they were unreasonably fussy. It’s not the least bit crummy or dirty and, in my opinion, exceeds the standards of similar places in the US or Canada (Ramada Inn, Comfort Inn, Holiday Inn Express) Having read the bad reviews I kept looking for bugs and dirt and I didn’t find any. Oh sure, the ironing board in our room needed a new foam under pad, but often mine at home does, and it was still very useable. And yes, the frame around the wood door into the bathroom of our room could stand refinishing, but, who cares. This is one of the nicest places I’ve ever stayed at on the road and better value than many equivalent places in the US or Canada. If we find ourselves in Guaymas again when it’s time to stop for the night we’ll definitely be back. In the meantime, I’d recommend it to anyone without reservation.

• Stayed: November 2007
4  Thank careyeroslib
Reviewed October 9, 2007

My wife and I came into Guaymas by overnight bus from Los Mochis, and were pleased to discover the Armida was 200 meters from both TAP and Tufesa bus terminals. We didn't have reservations but at 6AM the night clerk let us check in early for a three night stay. I can't guarantee that others would get that treatment, or that we would again, but it was a god-send.
We'd read earlier reviews on this site and found the three levels of rooms to be as expected. We opted for the standard (middle level) room (first floor, facing the pool). There were many Mexican business travelers, but the hotel was by no means full.
Staff were helpful and accommodating. In general the staff at desk, restaurants and bar spoke about as much English as we spoke Spanish (un poco) and communication was fine.
The pool area is very attractive and nice to use.
We found the wireless internet connection in the lobby to be so weak as to be useless when the business travelers are in the hotel -- before 10AM and after 4PM. We did have good luck with wireless connection one early afternoon. Don't count on it for "must email now!"
As for bugs, big cockroaches are in every room in Mexico we've ever stayed in. This place was no exception and I encountered one during our three nights there.. Good news is they are slow and can be easily whacked with a shoe. Housekeeping was efficient about cleaning up my hunting exploit.
What I'd like to add to the reviews here is that the location is very convenient. For us, travelers without a car, most of the city buses lines run right past the hotel. In this heat walking to the harbor, the plaza, the old church can be a chore, but a 5 peso fare on any frequent eastbound buses marked "Centro" will get you there. The big Ley supermarket is an easy ride on any westbound bus marked "Ley." To get to the Ferry terminal, any eastbound bus from el Centro marked "Calzada" is also 5 pesos. Best bargain of all is the westbound bus marked "San Carlos" which for 10 pesos will take you the 14km out to the gringoland development of timeshares, condos, prime rib, meatloaf and martinis.

• Stayed: October 2007
4  Thank jimtay3
Reviewed August 19, 2007

We called to make a reservation for 4 days and they told us that it was not necessary because they had a lot of available rooms.
When we arrive there (around noon) they told us that we should return at 2:00 PM because they were cleaning the rooms, we were a little disappointed because we were tired and the day was too hot there!
We returned at 2:00PM and they said that they continued cleaning the rooms and we should return at 4:00PM, we were upset but our plan was to rest on that hotel.
We returned (again) at 4:00 PM and they said we should return at 6:00PM because they were waiting for a game to be finished (it’s that possible!!!!!!) we were totally upset and promise never return to this hotel.....

• Stayed: August 2007, traveled with family
1  Thank Trav2007-08
Reviewed August 4, 2007

We checked out of HOTEL ARMIDA; 10 minutes down the road I realized I had left a valuable ring and antique earrings on the night stand. We had LOCKED the room and checked out. We returned immediately. WE FOUND NOTHING. Apparently the maid (?) saw us leave & entered looking for SOMETHING and helped herself to stuff NOT BELONGING to her. Nothing had been turned in at reception. I can't find an E-Mail address for the hotel to report this. We paid close to$100USD which was a rip off for a noisy place with a zillion kids swimming until midnight. People seem to think this place is heaven. It is overpriced, NOISY, no amenities etc. and just a so-so place in a DUMB/NOTHING town. We have lived in Mexico (27 years) so we know prices, values etc.

• Stayed: June 2007, traveled as a couple
2  Thank themeweaver
Reviewed June 10, 2007

I just came back from a weekend at this hotel and since I was thinking about writing the review, I was paying attention to things I usually take for granted.

First, it is less than 10 min. from the airport (taxi is about US$5 for the ride).

The people at the hotel are friendly and ready to help. Not everybody speaks English, but they try hard to understand your needs. At check-in, I was surprised to see that the receipt had the whole number of the credit card printed. So, make sure you discard of it properly.

The rooms are spacious and clean. It has a TV and phone (I say it, because I've stayed at others that don't have these "luxuries"). It also offers two complimentary bottles of water, sealed, but in a simple plastic bottle -no tags of any kind. Don't worry. I drank it and I'm writing this review :-)

The ambiance of the restaurant is good but I won't comment on the food because this time I didn't eat there.

The buffet for breakfast is very good. There are plenty of choices and it has a big variety of truly Mexican dishes if you want to try new things. But if you're not in the mood for that adventure, your basic OJ, coffee, toast, fresh omelettes and waffles .... are also available. Try the fresh fruit. DELICIOUS!
The cost of breakfast is about US$10.

What I didn't like about the hotel was the bar. We wanted to hang out and have some drinks, but the place was SO COLDDDDDDDDDDD, it was impossible to stay there. It had been this way before, so I don't know why they're not listening. This is a turn off for me. We like to come back from work and have some drinks (the bar is on the second floor), but the place is nice, but really uninviting with the temperature like that. The lobby has some tables with chairs, so you could buy a drink and take it there, but the ambiance is not the same -of course.

The swimming pool area is nice. You can buy your beverage at the bar or the restaurant and take it there.

Overall it was a good stay. If you like walking, it's walking distance from downtown, the mall, and some restaurants (i.e. 10-15 min). I also liked the proximity to a convenience store (almost next door as you walk out from the main entrance to your left) because I could buy some light breakfast for less than US$2 (coffee with bread).

5  Thank Psykiya
Also consider these accommodations in or near Guaymas
Hotel Playa de Cortes
#3 of 5 in San Carlos
Sea of Cortez Beach Club
Sea of Cortez Beach Club
#2 of 5 in San Carlos

Been to Hotel Armida? Share your experiences!