“Gary's rocks!”
Review of Gary's Dive shop

Gary's Dive shop
Ranked #1 of 11 Tours in San Carlos
More attraction details
Owner description: In beautiful San Carlos, Mexico, Gary's Dive Shop, established in October of 1971, was the first 100% legal, federally certificated and licensed maritime operator in San Carlos. Our twenty-nine person staff is very experienced with an average of over 12 years each with us. We have diving, fishing, snorkeling and ocean/nature tours, as well as bay and sunset cruises, dive instruction, rental and repair services. We are open every day, 365 days a year from 7:00 AM to 5:00 PM. Gary's Dive Shop is the first and only boat operator in San Carlos and the entire state of Sonora to be certified NOM-05 and NOM-08 and to receive the coveted Federal recognition award "Distintivo M" and the state recognition award "Calidad Sonora" for safety and excellence in costumer service.
Tucson, Arizona, United States
13 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 29 helpful votes
“Gary's rocks!”
Reviewed February 18, 2014

My family, friends and I have been diving with Gary's dive shop for several years (Through his link with Tucson's "The Dive Shop" and private bookings.) We have had consistently wonderful trips every time. My favorite are when we do weekday bookings with smaller groups - more room to move and a little more relaxed. Gary is, as one review said, a great ambassador for San Carlos. He has made recommendations for everything - food, entertainment, medical issues, and so forth. The crews on the boats are outstanding! They are funny, professional, totally focused on making it a great experience. They make the BEST fish taco lunch in the world! They are helpful with gear and tanks and very knowledgable about the sites. They point out anything of interest and detour to see dolphins (we have had wonderful boat rides with dozens of dolphins playing around the boat and following us for miles.) Once they spotted a whale and another magical memorable time they spotted a whale shark and detoured so we could see it more closely. My daughter and I jumped in with our snorkels and cameras and swam with her for over 30 minutes until she chose to move on. We had gone all the way to Honduras to see whale shark and never saw one- and here was one in our own backyard (as we consider the waters of San Carlos to be). The trips to the island for diving and snorkeling are always wonderful with lots of playful sea lions. Even if you are a veteran diver with lots of exotic trips under you belt, you will still not be disappointed by the diving in San Carlos - lots of colorful fish including huge angels, butterfly fish, sting ray, sea stars, moray eels, damsels, sometimes barracuda, needlefish, stonefish, puffers and so on. We have spotted sea horses, and swam unexpectedly with a magnificent sea turtle. Still waiting to see hammerheads - but you can't have everything!
The boats are a little worn and well used and hopefully will get a face lift soon - but they have all the safety gear required and provide a most excellent day of fun in the sun - on and under the sea. Thanks Gary and crew - you are the best!

Visited August 2013
1 Thank Sue F
Garysdiveshop, Manager at Gary's Dive shop, responded to this review, February 28, 2014
Thank you for that excellent review. Both boats are currently being updated with a fresh coat of paint and seat covers, etc... We look forward to your family and friends joining us onboard for more fantastic fun this summer. We are always ready to help you plan your next vacation in beautiful San Carlos.
Gary and the entire staff at Gary's Dive Shop

Chicago, Illinois
26 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 53 helpful votes
“Fun, but I think it could have been brttet.”
Reviewed January 31, 2014 via mobile

I paid $65 to go on one of Gary's 4 hr fishing trips. This would have been number 1 on my bucket list, if I had one. His brochure showed a pic of 5 guys all hold very large fish, with the caption, "We all caught one". But the one I caught was no longer than tail fin of the ones in his picture.
Overall the trip was fun and exciting, but I was vrry disappointed eith the fishing rods. They were in extremely bad condition. There were 5 of us on this boat. 3 of us were customers. We all csught 2 or 3 smsll fish. The boat captain & his asst caught 2 nice size sea bass each. But what I didnt understand was; there were several small fishing boats around us, ( we followed them to the "hot spot") and there was a 3 man crew on each of these small boats and they did not have an uh fishing poles, just line, that tbey cadt by hand and pulled in by hand. And in one boat we watched them pull in at least 10 very large yellow tails on, on a hook and line mind you. And when we inquired with our guys, they ssid that those guys were using live bait.
And I thought to myself, "you guys bring people on these fishing trips all the time and you know that the live bait catched these big yellow tails but you give us cut bait and we catch more bait".That I did not understand. So I was didappointed a bit. But the trip was fun. Our crew cooked us fish tacos with the "minnows" we caught and cleaned and filleted the rest and gave it to us to takr home. The boat ride out and back was nice too. I took lots of pics of the scenery. We also saw 2 sea lions. But I would have much rather caught one really nice sized fish.

Garysdiveshop, Manager at Gary's Dive shop, responded to this review, February 7, 2014
I will look into the bait and equipment with our boat captains. I've spoken with several guest this week, and they caught yellowtail on cut bait. Better luck next time.
Gary and the entire staff at Gary's Dive Shop
San Carlos, Mexico
“Excellent Marine Surveyor”
Reviewed January 30, 2014

We hired Gary as our Marine Surveyor for a yacht we were buying in San Carlos and had a first rate experience. Gary was pleasant and personable to deal with, very qualified and professional in his survey of the boat, and had our best interests at heart throughout the entire survey process. His staff also helped on the electrical survey and hull survey and they were competent and experienced. Gary went out of his way to answer our questions and address our concerns on specific issues for the boat. He produced reports for us, one for the Sea Trial and one for the boat condition and insurability - both were candid and thorough and put our minds at ease regarding the condition of the boat and its fair market value. I highly recommend Gary to anyone consider getting a boat surveyed in San Carlos or Guyamas. We would use Gary again in future without hesitation.

Visited January 2014
Thank you for that excellent review and recommendation. Please contact me any time if you have more questions.
Gary and the entire staff at Gary's Dive Shop/Gary's Marine Surveys
Chandler, Arizona
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 21 helpful votes
“What a great ambassador for San Carlos”
Reviewed January 24, 2014

Although I was not able to be in town on days when there was a boat trip I was able to meet and get a lot of information from Gary directly. He is a one man Chanber of Commerce for the area and was able to direct me to local shore dive sites that were very pleasing. He made reccommends on restaurants and attractions and is so well connected he has arranged for discounts on meals in the local restaurants. His choices for food and hotel were spot on.
He runs his shop the way any visitor would appreciate and my wife and I are looking forward to our next visit to the San Carlos area. Gary has preprinted sheets covering many of the attractions in the area and give lots of options for visitors no matter their interests.
Thanks Gary for your courtesty and consideration for first time visitors.

Visited January 2014
Garysdiveshop, Manager at Gary's Dive shop, responded to this review, January 28, 2014
Thank you for that great endorsement! We are glad we could help. Please, feel free to stop by or call anytime. Hopefully we can scuba dive at Seal Island the next time you are in San Carlos.
Gary and the entire staff at Gary’s Dive Shop
Tempe, Arizona
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“January Dive”
Reviewed January 20, 2014

We just returned from our trip this past MLK weekend in San Carlos. We went for a diving trip that we've been meaning to take for years now.
We didn't have a referral to Gary's Dive shop; all the charters we were referred to required a 4 diver minimum, and no charters were available to secure a dive for us that weekend until more divers were scheduled.

Because it is the off season for diving in January, we found Gary's Dive shop as the leader in Diving in San Carlos and willing to take a boat out with only two divers. Gary's had fantastic reviews on trip advisor and were very prompt and thorough with communication and answering all my questions to getting the dive scheduled and feeling good about selecting Gary's as our Dive Charter.

Jimmy Scherrer was our dive guide. He is a Master Scuba Dive Trainer and he was absolutely the best guide we've had. He was very thorough, patient, knowledgeable, and had Pro Tips, and many funny stories to share about his diving experience. The boat crew, Elias and Jorge were very helpful, fixed up our tanks, had hot coffee waiting for us, and quesadillas and delicious burritos with salsa for snacks.

I was also provided an underwater camera rental for our dive, which is a rare treat, most other charters I have been on, do not have this feature available.

We look forward to a summer trip to dive Seal Island and to try the Worlds Best Fish tacos that are homemade and served on the boat.

We highly recommend Gary's Dive shop for any visitors heading to San Carlos; whether you dive or not, they have other excursions that do not involve scuba diving.

Visited January 2014
Thank you for your outstanding recommendation! We are very glad to hear about how much you enjoyed your vacation time with us. Summer is just around the corner, so we will see you soon.
Gary and the entire staff at Gary’s Dive Shop