“What a mexican landscape!”
Review of Rancho Xotolar

Rancho Xotolar
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Welcome to a Working Ranch "El Xotolar", Experience the wide open spaces of rural Mexico not like a tourist, but as a member of the Morín Ruiz Family on Xotolar Ranch. You will ride through spectacular countryside with breathtaking views and stunning landscapes.Guides Tomás and Felíx Morín share their vast knowledge and skills while keeping your safety in mind.After your ride, enjoy an authentic ranch "comida" (luncheon) of delicious, freshly prepared specialties of Xotolar Ranch along with a cold "cerveza" (beer).We are not a commercial tour company, but family owned and operated. We offer a variety of beautiful scenic rides in the mountains outside of San Miguel de Allende. We are located adjacent to ancient Pre-Hispanic Toltec Pyramids, that you will be able to clearly watch from the distance. We can prove with ID and history, that all the staff that makes the tours are the true natives. Activities: Horseback Riding adventures, Ranch and Rodeo Demonstrations, Camping, Sunset and Evening Adventures Rides, Cattle Drives for Experienced riders.Combo: Hiking tour at Cañada de la Virgin Pyramid-Horseback Riding Adventure. Much more, ASKING!
Useful Information: Activities for older children
Reviewed July 23, 2013

I highly recommend this place. Felix is such a kind cowboy. He will hand you the horse that best suit you. He will lead you to the most amazing landscapes from the top of the hills, the border of a cliff and into the river. I have to admit that at first I was a bit nervous, but he and his brother are really good explaining the basics for riding a horse. They really take care of each of the visitors. They were really attentive specially with my 9 years old daughter who totally enjoy it. By the second hour of the route, we were even galloping!!
Xotolar was the best part of my trip to san Miguel de Allende! It was a pleasant discovery!
At the end we had a typical meal at Felix house. (Very pintoresque)
The fresh cheese and nopalitos were delicious! The enchiladas, very nice too! They also offer a sweet xoconostle liqueor worthy to export!!

1  Thank Marielle R
in 8 reviews
"well trained horses"
in 10 reviews

Reviewed July 16, 2013

This was the best horseback riding adventure I've had! I enjoyed all the sights, rappelling, and taking a breather by the creek. Rodrigo and his team of vaqueros were awesome! I would recommend this to everyone! Awesome job and hope to do it again!

1  Thank dovalle84
Reviewed July 8, 2013

This ranch is seriously legit. If you want the "real mexican ranch" experience, you can't go wrong at Xotolar. Tomas picked us up at the hotel in San Miguel de Allende, so you don't need to find it. We went in July, but because of the altitude it wasn't hot at all. We opted for the 1/2 day ride, ending with a very nice lunch with the family. The horses were great. If you have an experienced rider that wants a more "sprited" ride, they have that as well. The guides were great, the scenery was spectacular, and the whole experience was excellent. Two thumbs up!!

Reviewed June 14, 2013

We were in Guanajuato for a wedding and looking for an out-of-the-city adventure. My daughter suggested a horseback ride. After a few email inquiries, we decided on Rancho Xotolar. Tomas sent us a rapid response (important because we didn't write until the day before we left for Mexico and were looking to book only 2 days out). He picked us up in Guanajuato instead of San Miguel which was most appreciated as we had never been to the area before.
On our first morning in Mexico, six of us were picked up at our hotel and traveled a bit over an hour out to the ranch. I've had some memorable (not in a good way) horseback riding excursions in foreign countries, so my expectations weren't high for this one. Not only was I pleasantly surprised, I was floored by how much fun we had. Along with Tomas, we had four more members of his family as guides with us- pretty much one on one assistance if we needed it. I received some good pointers on how to stay in the saddle without bouncing and banging around- good lesson for this suburbanite. More adventurous riders in the group had opportunities to go faster. The scenery on the ride was spectacular. We were treated to an impromptu lasso display by Tomas when we took a break half way through for cervezas. Back at the ranch for lunch- delicious!! We had so much fun on this adventure, we asked Tomas to guide us on our trip to San Miguel a few days later, through Santa Rosa, Dolores Hidalgo, and Atotonilco. We also asked him for a ride to the airport from SMA when we had to fly home. Tomas and his family are incredibly accommodating, and wonderful hosts!