“absolutely magical and romantic”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in San Miguel de Allende
Hacienda Las Trancas
Annapolis
“absolutely magical and romantic”
Reviewed April 1, 2008

I went to a destination wedding at the Hacienda. Everything was so incredibly charming and fabulous. I have been raving to my friends about it since I got back. Frankly, I think it is the best wedding I've ever been to. I'm surprised at longwinded's review. I think the Hacienda was a labor of love for these owners. And yes, a Hacienda opens inward by definition. I didn't find it dusty at all. I can still see those stars overhead and hear the music...like a movie, really. Just luscious.

• Liked — unbelievably authentic and charming
Stayed February 2008
1 Thank whitianga

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
Virginia
Reviewed March 26, 2008

Our experience at Hacienda Las Trancas was so totally different from everything I read here that I am compelled to write my first ever review.
Upon arrival we were greeted by Kelley who took us to the first bedroom and as we all stood around weary from our travels she began a talk that lasted so long you had to wonder where her manners were.We would have enjoyed getting settled and washed up from the dust storm that had blown us into the Hacienda.At this time we were told that her 2 maids were sick and that only seven rooms were ready and two of us would have to share a room.I noticed that what I thought was going to be a completely walled Hacienda was nothing of the sort. The wall is actually the exterior of the hacienda and many bedrooms are open to the dusty village. The property is not enclosed at all,so I wonder why this is mentioned on the website.We were given no help with our luggage and by my recollection this is the first time that has ever happened in Mexico.
Before I go on ,let me say the food was terrific, and the horses were the best. The massages,especially the hot stones,were terrific,although scheduling is very problematic. You need to sign up the day before for a time, but no one communicates the time to the masseuses,so they just show up whenever and you need to oblige them.This happened on three different days with our scheduling and Kelley was always willing to blame Steve and vise versa.We were informed that the masseuses walk 5 miles carrying the table,so when they show up 2 hours early or 2 hours late we need to be nice guests and stop what we are doing and have our massage.

There was one overwhelming fault at the Hacienda and that being the guests catering to the help . We had rented the hacienda (8 women artists) for a painting week and had requested a later dinner hour. This was agreed upon at a very early stage of renting the hacienda.We had several options, including doing the dishes ourselves, or having box lunches made so the cooks could go home during the day.We had agreed that box lunches would be preferred to a sit down lunch.Problem solved. Kelley didn’t seem to be able to tell the cooks about this arrangement because it was never implemented.WE continued to discuss this with Kelley and she completely went back on her word. We were told that they would have to walk home in the dark 5 miles.(I don’t consider it good hospitality to inform your paying guests of the hardships of the help and why didn't the owners of the Hacienda take the help home in one of their automobiles?)We ate dinner at 6:30, which was no help at all and quite literally ruined the trip for many in our group.It was a complete breach of what was discussed prior to renting the facility,and Kelley would not be accountable for this.The cooks were friendly and wonderful and most in our group wanted to accomodate them,but Kelley falsely represented this situation in order to rent the Hacienda.
You couldn’t get a cup of coffee until 8:00 a.m.Again,we offered to do it ourselves,as Kelley didn’t know how to work the coffee machine,or have any idea that you could pre grind the coffee the night before and just let us turn it on. The help doesn’t report to work until 7:30. There is tea and coffee in the bedrooms, but no hot water??? This is not my idea of great hospitality ,it’s not even mildly accommodating. When Fodor’s gives you a nod ,you just expect certain things to be up to snuff and comfort was not one of Kelley and Steves’ priorities. The website mentions 300 count sheets,but I would have been happy with clean sheets...there is so much dust that once a week sheet washing is not sufficient..One of the bedrooms has a lethal bathroom in which we had to hang a warning flag to remember to bend down to not hit the BACK of your head .This is a terrible accident waiting to happen and the owners obviously don’t care who hits their head. The Hacienda also cared little for water conservation,although in the middle of a drought,so this was not the reason for not washing sheets or towels.
The dining room is beautiful,and the table enormous.It all looks so splendid,but every wonderful meal is accompanied by the need to stand up and bend way over to reach the center of the table to pass the huge platters of food. Couldn’t the owners honor the wonderful cooks by making meal time less of bending over everyones’ food and standing up to pass the limeaide???The table is totally dysfunctional, it’s 6 feet wide.Again, the guests comfort is not accountable and you spend alot of time in that dining room.Laundry was not available (I didn’t think to even ask before renting out in the middle of nowhere if they had laundry facilities…no)

This is my 4th trip to Mexico,3 to San Miguel, where we have rented houses with cooks, and I have always felt the warmth of
the Mexican people to be contagious.That is not the case here . The village has had a partial face lift,with new paint, sidewalks and speed bumps complimentary of the Hacienda.Surely this was a necessity for Hacienda visitors,as the poverty is not pretty and in order to sell rooms,the owners would need to clean up the entire street.They can’t do anything about the wild dogs that bark and growl all night long….San Miguel is much quieter.
If you don’t mind being an unwanted paying guest,then this is great . Not a one of the eight women on this trip would go back. They never once lit the star lights in the ROPED off center courtyard? …. when it was time to go on Sunday,Kelley had forgotten to make the travel arrangements ...none of us were surprised.
I hope I help people make a more informed decision about renting this facility.The other reviews are a year old and perhaps what a difference a year makes.

• Liked — The horses
  • Disliked — the owners
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled with friends
1 Thank longwinding
MostlyMexico, Owner at Hacienda Las Trancas, responded to this review, March 31, 2008
This posting was quite a surprise for us, as normally our guests are so thrilled with their visit. I admit that I was unaware when she was here that she felt this way. It appears that many of her observations were assumptions, which were not accurate. There are too many to answer each individually, but I will address a few. On some of them I have no idea what she is talking about.
This was a group of very nice women that seemed fairly self-sufficient, and never communicated any unhappiness that I was aware of. They did come during a week of unusual wind storms, with more dust than I can remember seeing before. My staff worked overtime cleaning, but if the terrace doors were open in a bedroom, it was impossible to stop the dust from coming in. Even our office in San Miguel had 1/4 inch of dust that week on everything, and that was with doors closed tight.
Sometimes with a group there are different individual opinions, and I recall being told contrasting decisions by various members of this group, regarding many of these accusations. (boxed lunches, , carrying luggage, tour after arrival, single rooms verses double rooms). All were discussed. I thought they had all changed their minds and communicated it to each other, but apparently not. We always send lunches with our guests when they request it, and were intending to do it with them. When I mentioned that we were preparing the boxed lunches to one of the group, she told me that they just wanted to eat in the dining room. Since most of our guests love our food, and don't want to miss any meals, I simply thought that they, too, wanted to be here for the lunch meals. No one mentioned it again to me, so we continued to serve lunch as usual. Even a request to the cook would have sufficed.
Dinner was served nearly an hour later than usual, so I didn't realize it wasn't late enough for them. No one mentioned it to me. Since my cooks never refuse anything, it most likely wasn't mentioned to them. The cooks say that they served margaritas to them every evening at 6:00 as requested, then served dinner when it appeared they were finished.
As far as not caring, I spent the first day after their arrival driving to different art shops looking for more art supplies for them. I was happy to do it.
Furthermore, upon checkout, many of this group told me how special the week was for them, that they would like to return with their families, and all of them left very generous tips for the staff. I'm so sorry that this particular person didn't sit down with me and talk about her dissatisfaction personally.
I'm not sure why she thought we don't care about water here. Although there wasn't a drought, (it was simply the dry season, a normal occurrence every year,) we actually have a grey water recycling system that we use to water the gardens, so our guests don't need to feel guilty about using water.
When the group had asked about laundry, I told them we could do it in small amounts, (several loads per day) since we are kept quite busy doing our own laundry, or if all of them wanted it done at once, we could simply designate a laundry day and send everything out, to be returned the next day. It was never mentioned again.
As far the massage therapists, they take their jobs seriously, and although occasionally there is a mixup with the signup sheet, they normally come to do their work on time. It is their livelihood, and they have an incredible sense of pride about their professionalism. Although their cooperative group was formed with the idea of offering their services to our guests, they are not my employees. So I do allow them the dignity of their own system of notifying each other, and I was only aware that there was one problem that week. Several people had signed up for massages, but on the sheet from the day before. The sheet for the actual day was empty, so it was assumed there were no massages that day. When one of the massage therapists stopped by at noon to see if there were any massages, we realized the error. By then she had made other plans for the day, and it was impossible for her to return in two hours as requested, so she offered to give the massage right then, instead. Perhaps when I explained that my husband Stephen had told them in the morning that there were no massages that day, she believed I was trying to blame someone. I was only explaining, nothing more. Sometimes when there are many changes and cross outs on the sign-up sheets it does get confusing, and sometimes massages run late, so the next one is late. Luckily we are in the process of building a spa here for them, so they won't need to move their tables from one suite to the next, which does take time. (And no, although one therapist does walk 5 miles from her house to here and I ask our guests to give me enough cancellation notice so that I could let her know before she comes, she does not carry the table with her, it stays here, of course.) I have never heard anything but high praise about them.
I suppose I am protective of my staff, but I also am of our guests.
We love our work here, and our guests are of primary importance to us. We try very hard to accommodate them, and insure that they they love their time here with us. Most of them leave as highly treasured friends. I believe this is why word of mouth has brought us so much business. We love being ambassadors, and giving our guests the opportunity to
get to know the town, and its beautiful people.
This is a real village, with real people who own the houses and have their own opinions. They never asked me for permission to paint their houses, nor to pave the streets nor to put in speed bumps. So none of it was 'courtesy of the hacienda'. I love the authenticity of this village, and feel no need to try and hide it. Of course there is poverty here. If you read our website you will be aware of that. Although we are trying to change that, we are certainly not trying to disguise it.
And yes, although it is normally quite tranquil, like much of Mexico sometimes there are dogs in heat in the village, or burros, or roosters. We have fans in each room, to be used as white noise in case of unexpected outside noises. Most people don't feel the need to use them.
I believe three women had to wait about 7 extra minutes for a taxi to take them to San Miguel after the other women were picked up (as scheduled months earlier) to go to the airport. Again, there was confusion because the transportation sheet I had put out had not been completed, and I had asked one of the women the day before if there were two different destinations, as had been previously discussed, and had been told no. So I cancelled the other car, and was surprised when they asked for it the next day.
I believe most of these things mentioned came from faulty communication, and I take full responsibility. One of my housekeepers had the flu, which I came down with during this same week. I didn't communicate as well with this group as much as I normally do, because I didn't want to give them the flu, and because I didn't feel well. I don't think I told them I was sick.
I guess I should have. Maybe this particular guest mistook it for disinterest.
Since some of them spoke Spanish, and had visited Mexico before, I believed they could communicate with the staff about anything they needed. This is, of course, much of the charm of being in Mexico. It is a balance for me, as owner, to decipher how much a group wants my presence. Often people view it as part of the experience to be in Mexico, with Mexicans, without the American owner hovering nearby. So I try to give as much space as possible, while still being available for anything they need. Obviously I misjudged the needs of this group, and I have called the woman who organized the trip to apologize personally and try to see if I can make amends.
I have also hired a wonderful bilingual administrative assistant, to be here with our guests when I can't, and insure that their needs continue to be well met.

Baltimore
Reviewed March 18, 2007

Hacienda Las Trancas is a unique traveling experience. We used it for a family resort. The accommodations are beautiful if a little rustic. The food is terrific. Transportation needs some planning because you are not really in a town. That said, for what you pay for local transport it beats trying to rent a car and navigate local cities. The Hacienda is ideally placed for local day trips. The service is first rate.

The negatives are that the Hacienda is a working farm/ranch, and well, animals smell, so if you have the room next to the stable, well . . . you figure it out. Also, we got told after the fact that the price did not include the gratuity for the staff which was suggested to be 20% of our total bill.

Overall, the strengths of this unique experience far, far outweigh the negatives, and I recommend Haceinda Las Trancas for families and groups.

• Liked — Service, and food
  • Disliked — Borderline too rustic.
  • Stayed June 2006, traveled with family
1 Thank Turnerx5
Philadelphia
Reviewed January 26, 2007

Simply Amazing........ to sum it up! We were married in Tulum Mexico before arriving here for part of our honeymoon. The whole experience, from the time we e-mailed Kelley and Steve (Owners/Operators) to the time we checked out was incredible. Typically I give “just the facts” type of review, but I was inspired to write a short story of our stay here:

Some delays had us arriving late at the Leon airport (BJX). After meeting our cordial driver and filling his small car to the brim with luggage, we set off for a 1.5 hour drive to the Hacienda. At 1:00 am we moved briskly along the small roads that led us to our destination. “We are here” our driver said in a thick Spanish accent, which awoke us to observe the entrance from the main road. A slightly paved driveway for 50 yards with modest concrete housing along either side, after which time the pavement stopped, and we were then driving on a dry dusty rock-laden road, which required our driver to move left and right to avoid the large bumps and holes. Very dark, very late now, and being two gringos that have only heard about kidnappings in Mexico, we looked at each other and grew slightly concerned. Moving along the road with the housing continuing on either side, we passed through what looked like an old arch that once would have held a grandiose gate in its day.

We now found ourselves in an open courtyard slowly moving toward a moonlit silhouette of a sizable structure in the background. Then as our driver pulled up right to the oversized front doors of the hacienda any nervousness melted away as we could see we have arrived at an Oasis! The large old massive doors to this 400 year old hacienda were open to an entry area with flowers and a plethora of candles. As we exit the car we are greeted by the strikingly beautiful Kelley, who concerned about our tardiness stayed up until we arrived (1:00am). Her warm greeting at the door, set in a feeling that we were at a place we could call home for the next couple of days.

From the point until the time we left both Kelley and Steve and the entire staff at Trancas were very warm and helpful. Here are a few highlights:

•Kelley and Steve had planned to travel to the local town of Delores, and offered us to hitch a ride with them. (Which we thankfully accepted). We spent the afternoon walking around this cute, authentic, utilitarian, Mexican town, and capped it off with a few beers at a Cantina.
•We hired a local ironwork craftsman from Trancas who taxis on the side to take us to the capital town of Guanajuato. Alexandro was very helpful, and took us there in the morning, and waited until 5:00 when we were ready to leave. He also gave us a quick orientation of the town so that we knew where we were going.
•The meals are prepared by “Yolanda”, and each meal was by bar the best Mexican food we ever had. (in or out of Mexico). My mouth literally waters and taste buds yearn for another taste of her food.
•The grand dining room with a 50 ft dining table and fireplace provided a great ambiance for the meals.
•Each room has a gas fireplace that aptly warmed the rooms during the chilly evenings.
•Every piece of the furniture, (installed by Kelley and Steve), looked as if it was original to the hacienda. Almost as if they have been guided by the soul of the place when deciding on what furniture to put where.
•Horseback with Juan Antonio was great. Scaling up and down the steep slopes, and trotting across the plains was perfect.
•Orange Juice, the aptly named cat was a friendly warm addition to our room.
•The rooms are incredible, each with it’s own character. We stayed in the Sala suite, which was enormous with his and her bathrooms, and 3 giant terraced windows that oversaw vistas which you could see for miles.

All in all this was a great stay for us. We travel often and we were referring to our honeymoon as “that trip after the wedding”, but the minute we stepped there, we felt like we were on a honeymoon. The staff, the hosts, and the people of the town were all incredible.

We will definitely return here, and will bring the entire family and friends to possibly have a Christmas here. This area of Mexico is incredibly beautiful and safe, and I welcome anyone to contact me for further information about Hacienda Las Trancas for this region in general

• Liked — The people in the surrounding town, and owners of the Hacienda
  • Stayed December 2006, traveled as a couple
4 Thank TheTraveler6969
chicago
Reviewed November 26, 2006

I had my dream wedding at Hacienda Las Trancas. This place is magical. I felt like a princess in my very own castle. My guests were awed and couldn't stop talking about how beautiful it was.

Hacienda Las Trancas is an experience you'll never forget. A truly unique place. Kelley and her staff make you feel like your'e at home with family. The memories will last a life time. I long to go back and re-live the fairytale.

Vicky Alatorre Camarena
Chicago, IL

• Liked — Comfort and quality
  • Disliked — Secluded location
  • Tips/Secrets — Bring mosquito repellant
  • Stayed July 2006, traveled with family
1 Thank chicago60612
Texas
Reviewed October 20, 2006

We just returned from an incredible experience at Hacienda las Trancas. The mountain setting is breathtakingly beautiful & the owners and staff could not have been more accomodating and gracious. Yolanda, the chef at the hacienda, prepared bountiful & delicious meals for us with organic produce from the gardens. She even gave us a tamale cooking lesson! The bedding and towels were high-quality & luxurious and there are many spaces for gathering, relaxing & playing--a beautiful pool, volleyball court, horseback riding and mountain biking. Alejandro will take you into town for shopping & gallery-visiting. We went on a "girls' week," but the hacienda would be ideal for family reunions/gatherings or especially a wedding--it is so beautiful, you will never want to leave! An incredible experience.

• Liked — beautiful architecture/scenery and accomodating hosts/staff
  • Stayed October 2006, traveled with friends
1 Thank Elizabeth_Winslow
upstate new york
Reviewed August 26, 2006

I almost don't want to write about the Hacienda out of a selfish desire to keep it all to myself! Still, my family had such a wonderful time there during my wedding celebrations that I feel compelled to write and let others know about this magical place.

We saw Hacienda Las Trancas online and immediately knew that it was where we wanted to have our wedding. The owners were incredibly helpful and accommodating in scheduling our time there. From the moment we arrived, we were awestruck by the beauty of this restored jewel. The Hacienda is huge- the rooms and suites are enormous, and the decorating, cleanliness, grounds, and atmosphere are impeccable. Even the bedding was decadent. There are truly no words to describe the comfortable grandeur of this amazing place and the pictures, which had seduced us in the first place, are nothing compared to the real thing.

The staff were incredible- Yolanda and Amada are amazing cooks, providing us with wonderful authentic meals and ever-gracious hospitality. The rest of the staff were great too, very quiet and unobtrusive, but always available if needed. We had guided horseback rides through the surrounding territory by Juan Antonio, a skilled horseman, and Alejandro was ever-available to drive for our day-trips to San Miguel, Guanajuato, and Dolores Hidalgo.

The Hacienda really felt like our own very large, very beautiful home. The owners have done an incredible job restoring and decorating it, and the gardens are spectacular. Somehow, even with all of the magnificent surroundings, it felt so inviting and warm. The place has an incredible history as the home of Padre Hidalgo and in its role in the Mexican Independence Movement. You really feel surrounded and embraced by all of it.

The town of Las Trancas itself is small and friendly. Our children quickly melded into the wholesome surroundings, playing soccer and riding bikes with the other kids as if there were no language barrier, even getting invited to a birthday party.

I can't say much more, except that Hacienda Las Trancas is an experience. It is not glitzy nor flashy, but luxurious in a relaxed way. It was wonderful to live surrounded by beauty and comfort for a week. It also turned out to be the perfect place for a wedding. My family will always treasure our memories there, and hope to return in the future.

• Liked — The understated luxury
  • Disliked — Leaving!
  • Tips/Secrets — You can take the bus to just about anywhere else in Mexico from Las Trancas by way of Dolores Hidalgo
  • Stayed July 2006, traveled with family