“Real Oaxacan Mezcal in San Miguel!”
Review of La Mezcaleria

La Mezcaleria
Cuisines: International
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Description: This is a copy/paste on basic restaurant etiquette. Children at a Restaurant "If your children are dining with you, make sure they know how to behave in a restaurant. Not only does bad behaviour make your experience miserable, you are disrupting other people's meals. Teach your children how to be courteous and respectful of others before you take them to a restaurant. Consider the type of restaurant before bringing your children. Most family restaurants can accommodate toddlers. However, it's best to leave a small child with a sitter when you go to a bar or an upscale restaurant." Cheers, Alexander
Reviewed February 15, 2014

Wow. Real artisanal Oaxacan mezcal. If you have not had it, you want to try it. It is difficult enough to find the exceptional quality in Oaxaca, and until recently, basically impossible in San Miguel. No longer. Alexander and Monica pay attention to every detail, but the heart of their place is good Oaxacan mezcal, and they have paid attention here as well. What a gem.

1  Thank Calavera50

Reviewed February 11, 2014

I'm not much of a drinker. And the quality of mescal and the hints on how to drink it made me appreciate the artistry that they bring to their mescaleria. La Duena told us that the mescals they feature are wild crafted. What ever they did, I have come to appreciate a sip of mescal after trying Cuixe.

The tapas was very tasty, and according to the Swedish chef Alexander and his wife Mónica, everything is all made in house, sourced locally and from organic ingredients when possible. We had the shrimp, roasted vegetables, raw oysters, sausage, cheese plate . . . and the 4 of us were pleasantly full at the end of this lovely dining experience.

The ambiance is very simple and understated.

All in all a wonderful experience.

Reviewed January 10, 2014

When visiting the little beautiful city of San Miguel de Allende, Mexico, I came across
La Mezcaleria, opened and run by Monica and Alexander. They have created a unique atmosphere with their own design and a menue based on seven different mezcals and seven interesting and tasty tapas. Cured salmon, grilled oysters, their own in the kitchen made sausages are a must.
They also offer a selection of very good Mexican wines from three different vallies.
A fantastisc opportunity to learn all about mezcal and to enjoy the hospitality of this charming Mexican / Swedish couple
"What ailment does mezcal cure, that I may suffer from it?"

2  Thank Olle C
Reviewed January 5, 2014

I love this place. I felt like I was in another world as I walked in the door. It's my new favorite place.
The owner couple are sweet young designers that really care about every detail.

2  Thank Laguna36
Reviewed December 30, 2013

What a great new place in town to try different Mezcal's from Oaxaca! It reminds me of some of the cool gastropubs I have been to in San Francisco. We tried several of Monica and Alexander's specialty drinks and thought they were great. I particularly liked the chile guerro mescalarita, and the pepino and cilantro mescalarita. The menu is limited to tapas dishes. All the items sounded interesting. We started with the Oaxaca cheese plate, that came with Chapulene's (fried grasshoppers), which of course I had never tried. Alexander said they had a flavor like artichoke, and I must agree they did. Definitely fun to try. We then shared the Tuna tartar and Parmesan stuffed oysters. Wow both were seasoned perfectly. The ambience is contemporay with cool hanging lights from Oaxaca pots. The owners, Monica and Alexander were there and really took interest in making it a memorable visit to this new place in town.