“Highlight of our stay in San Miguel”

Cooking Classes with Chef Gaby Green
More attraction details
Owner description: Chef Gaby Green offers private Mexican cooking class created specifically for you and your family or friends to experience Mexican traditions at the dinner table, as Gaby shares her family recipes. Each session lasts 4-5 hours with a special market tour, hands-on cooking class with several courses, as you prepare your very own Mexican comida. Learn how to use ancient ingredients in traditional recipes from various regions across Mexico. Enjoy the farm fresh produce available here in San Miguel to make healthy menus. Great for individuals, couples, groups and families! Gaby's specialty is teaching kids just like her grandmother taught her in their family kitchen.
Reviewed July 8, 2017

My 7 year old son, 15 year old goddaughter and I spent about five hours yesterday with Gaby. What a wonderful chef and ambassador to Mexican cuisine. She picked us up at our hotel and drove us to the covered market in the oldest section of the city. As we strolled through the market to shop for ingredients, we stopped at stalls as Gaby explained different produce unique to Mexico. We headed back to her kitchen and spent the rest of the time preparing the lunch. My goddaughter is vegetarian so most of the dishes were vegetarian, including a pre-Colombian cactus dish that was her grandfather's favorite. She was very accommodating with the children, and made sure they were included in preparing the lunch. My son enjoyed making tortillas with the press. Gaby is a relaxed, knowledgeable chef and I wouldn't hesitate to recommend her market tour and class. She only does this about once a week so be sure to book ahead of time. She is fluent in English, and also speaks German. A very memorable day!

1  Thank 402kathleenm
in 10 reviews
"prep"
"kitchen"

Reviewed April 12, 2016

Myself and three others had an excellent experience with Gaby. The market experience and cooking elevated the class. I would definitely recommend this to anyone interested in cooking and having fun in SMA. Cheers.

Reviewed February 17, 2016

I loved this class! Gaby Green really knows how to teach. Her knowledge of food, history, culture, cooking, and people make this cooking class a deliciously vibrant learning experience. Her creativity with recipes and ingredients is unmatched. The deciding factor in choosing La Fonda Rosa over any of the other cooking classes? Gaby, the chef/owner of La Fonda Rosa,is the only one who truly understands vegan. She will happily adapt any recipes to suit the needs or preferences of her clientele/students, whether it's vegan, gluten-free, or any other dietary limitation. And her food is STELLAR!!!

1  Thank Blonde V
Reviewed January 7, 2016

I took a lesson with Gabrialla after dining at her restaurant, Aguamiel. My wife and I enjoyed the dinner very much - one of the best restaurants in SLA. Gabriella is a great chef, and also a great teacher. The class is in the kitchen at her restaurant, and very spacious. We prepared and cooked four dishes. All were very delicious, and dishes I am looking forward to prepare at home. She speaks English very well, and is very friendly. I highly recommend the cooking class as well as the restaurant.

1  Thank Mm98072
See more reviews
Reviewed January 6, 2015

Cooking with Gaby is a great way to spend the morning. The experience starts at 10:00AM near the local market. Class starts in the market itself where you learn about local ingredients like cactus and other regional fruits and veggies. The open market is extremely interesting and we may have missed it (as it’s tucked away down some narrow streets) had we not taken this course.

After shopping we headed to Gaby’s fonda (homey restaurant) and prepared lunch. Gaby is very relaxed; as a result, everything unrolled in a very organic way. There are no boring didactic moments. We chop, we sauté, we char, and we boil chatting the entire time. The whole experience was extremely social. We appreciated getting to know the other two couples who took the class along with us.

Gaby has had a lot of experience opening restaurants in San Miguel. In hindsight, part of the appeal of this course was learning about the restaurant scene in a town obsessed with food. Gaby’s personal and professional histories are compelling. We really felt that she shared more than just culinary knowledge with us. This was definitely one of the highlights of our trip.

Oh yeah, I’m a vegetarian and that was not a problem at all.

Look for the Gaby’s new restaurant, Aguamiel, opening soon in San Miguel.

1  Thank greypalmer