“Going Beyond Just Great Service”

Posada Carmina Hotel
Reviewed January 30, 2012

For the second time, my friend Toby and I stayed at the Hotel Posada Carmina for 5 days in January 2012. As always it was a great value. I left a purse in the car that drove us to the airport. I called the agency, but they didn't want to take responsibility for sending it to me and suggested that I call someone I knew in San Miguel. The only people I knew were staff at Hotel Posada Carmina. So, contacted the Hotel personnel --Fernando and Leornor -- and they snapped into action. They retrieved the purse from the agency, contacted Fed Ex and arranged to have it sent to me. All this transacted through emails and phone calls. I have now have my gorgeous purse and have sweeter memories of my stay at Posada Carmina.

Room Tip: Rooms in original section are larger and more romantic.
  • Stayed: January 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Gotogonow

Reviewed October 12, 2011

My co-worker recommended this hotel after she went there last year. Mom and I decided to go for one week. We booked over the phone, asked for pricing. I asked the receptionist if there was a discount for staying 7 nights, she gave us a 10% discount and basic breakfast every day while we stayed there. Prices are very reasonable. Price for a room with two full beds, with breakfast was $1386 pesos. I made my reservation over phone, receptionist informed me she would email me confirmation. Confirmation emailed to me 3 days later, and it had the full price and not discounted price, and it didn't say anything about the included breakfast. I called them, manager said they would look into why I got the full price quote. No one called me back, I called back the next day. Manager then spoked to me and informed me since that was the price I was quoted, plus a free breakfast every day, they would honor it, and they sent me another email with the correct information. Upon arriving to the hotel the receptionist informs me that it would be paid cash at the end of our stay. I told her I didn't know this, she said yes, we emailed you we need cash. I informed her that if that was the case I would've taken the money out in the US, I only had debit/credit card. Thankfully manager was standing in lobby, and heard everything and said it was fine, that we could pay with our card. We entered our room. Beautiful hotel!!! Beautiful! Historic, 1/2 block away from San Miguel Parish. 1/2 block away meaning that the bells were tolling every 15 minutes and we couldn't sleep the first night. Construction workers were working on the hotel next door at midnight. I called reception they said they couldn't do anything about outside noise. I was a little disappointed. I talked to the cleaning lady in the morning and she suggested I ask receptionist to change me to a room in the back. Another receptionist (this one friendly and accomodating) switched us to a back room immediately. Wonderful courteous receptionist. We moved within 20 minutes. Same style room, this one a little more modern. Free breakfast every morning included coffee, french bread, butter (real butter!), guava and strawberry jam, a plate of fruit or a cup of juice, and 2 eggs any style, and they included scrambled, fried, huevos rancheros, huevos divorciados, scrambled with ham, with bacon, with machaca. If you ordered your eggs Mexican style, they would also bring you tortillas. And 3 salsas all the time! The service by the wait staff was excellent, outstanding, always at hand to refill my coffee cup, fruit was fresh, plates were beautiful and food was very very tasty. I love this hotel. Downside to this hotel was the noise, it is very close to the jardin principal, main square, but this is a town that celebrates any St.'s day, so be prepared to hear the bells tolling, and fireworks during your complete stay. There are many churches in this beautiful historic, colonial town, so be prepared to hear the fireworks. All in all, would I choose this hotel again? Yes. The colonial architeture remains, the restaurant courtyard is amazing, there's a terrace upstairs you can sit on a lounge chair and relax away, hear the birds chirping.

Room Tip: If you don't want the noise from the Town Center, ask for a back room, and ask for one not next...
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank Brenda L
Reviewed July 7, 2011

My Mexican Brother in law recommended and booked this hotel for my wife & I which may be why we got one of the nicer rooms. With these classic older hotels I've come to expect minor issues but we didn't have any. The plumbing worked well, towel supply was OK and everything was clean. Other posters are correct about the noise (church bells about 6AM) but we didn't let that bother us. The gentleman at the front desk gave us some good restaurant tips and overall was very accommodating. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Joe J
Reviewed June 18, 2011

This hotel is beautiful, you are staying in an old mansion and if you are interested in architectural elements there is much to see in this place. We looked in several rooms besides our own and they are all tasteful, modern with an old elegant feel. Flat screen t.v. was a bonus and good beds. Excellent restaurant in the courtyard for breakfast or lunch, a very extensive menu, larger than most around, so you can try something different every day. Felt very safe, no problems with theft at all. However it may have been the slow season because we felt like we had the run of the hotel, which was nice. Excellent location a half a block from Jardin Principal. OK, so there was some noise, we stayed on Saturday and Sunday nights, coming from outside the window. However, I think that's the price you pay if you want to be close in and walking distance to everything. And it's not crazy Guanajuato nightlife noise, which is much noisier. I just loved the hotel, thought it was so quiet, safe, and beautiful, but there are some negatives to consider: challenging to find parking, you will have to park in the street or at a parking lot and walk over; a couple of the rooms do not have windows, they have a fan but no a/c and those rooms would be hot in the summer; and no rooms have a/c and it was pretty warm, even with window open and fan on.

Room Tip: make sure room has window
  • Stayed: June 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed March 20, 2011

This hotel is charming, beautiful, nice restaurant in the courtyard, close to everything and after 2 nights, I have to get out of here! Okay, there are 2 festivals in town, but come on! I am trying to sleep here! Church bells, fireworks at night and for some reason at 7am, music and cheering until 4 am, conversations of people in the restaurant...it is maddening. Room is also so bright in the am, even with the white, unlined curtains drawn (go figure!). Not even sure I can get my money back....waiting on the manager to call me back.
So, if you like a party and have narcolepsy, this is the place for you!

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled solo
Reviewed January 20, 2011

if my camera was not stolen, i'll give this hotel a 4 star rating: unbeatable price at 800 pesos a night, great location and a comfy bed with amazingly clean bathroom, this is truly a great bargain in the town.

however, one night after exploring the city, i went back to put my bag and left my camera in it before heading out to the rooftop bar nearby for a drink and catch the sunset. upon return, i found both my camera and charger missing. luckily, they seemed to have missed out on my laptop that was left charging on the floor by my bed.

in terms of noise level, i have no problem with it at all, and i am an ultra light sleeper. i actually managed to get a better night's rest here than the W at Mexico city! the 2 nights spent here were actually very quiet.

still, i believe this to be a great hotel in a good location and i will recommend it, but just be careful of your belongings...

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled solo
Reviewed July 28, 2010

The positive and the negative -- it is steps from the Jardin Principal, which is a positive in that it is very convenient. It is also a negative in that it is extremely noisy. We could somewhat deal with the noise, with Tylenol PM. The breakfast included was fine and the courtyard in which it was served was very nice. The staff, with the exception of the manager and our maid, were nice also. Unfortunately, our maid stole money from my wallet and the manager was unwilling to do anything about it. We lost somewhere between $80 and $100 US, which put a bad taste in our mouths. Upon check-in the staff did not tell us of availability of safes at the front desk. There are no safes in the small rooms. I had hidden my purse within my suitcase, but the maid went through my suitcase and stole only $20 US bills, not smaller bills, not my iPod or my camera. She was looking solely for money she could liquidate. I was feeling somewhat uncertain about whether she copied the numbers on my credit cards, but so far, the internet does not show unwarranted charges. The manager stated that he felt that she was not sophisticated enough to deal with credit card numbers and I am hoping he is right. We would have left her 400-500 pesos as a tip when we left, but since she helped herself to more than that, we are not tipping her extra. We tried very hard to work something out with the manager which would assuage each of us, but his attitude was that the maid (the only one with access to our room) said she didn't take anything, so it didn't happen. I found that to be very frustrating. If he had even said he was sorry we had had a problem or perhaps offered us a drink on the house, we would have felt we were being taken seriously and we would have tossed off the issue, realizing that the maid might have needed the money worse than we did. However, since the manager treated us as if we were trying to scam him and told us it didn't happen, we were very unhappy.

I told the manager I would write a fair review of the hotel -- positives and negatives and that the theft and his attitude toward it would have to be reported. He shrugged his shoulders -- a gesture which spoke volumes for his attitude.

The room itself was small and hot. The bathroom was tiny. It was adequate for our 5 day stay, but we had just come from 6 nights in a really lovely suite in Guadalajara for the same price and the differences were glaring.

Another negative is that the bed is incredibly hard. I have arthritis and the bed caused me a great deal of pain. I am well-aware that beds in Mexico tend to be hard, but this was to the extreme. To be fair, my husband, who likes a hard bed, was less troubled by the bed than I was. I'd awaken in the night crying from pain. It was truly a horrible experience. Between the awful bed and the screaming in the night, there was almost no sleep possible for the entire 5 nights. We were prepared for there to be noise this close to the Jardin. We did not really mind the church bells or rockets. We did not mind the mariachi wars on the plaza (dueling bands), but we did mind the motorcycles starting up at all hours of the night beneath our window and the screaming people right under our window at all hours of the night.

I would NOT recommend this hotel to friends as it is noisy and insecure. I am certain there are many other hotels which would better serve the needs of Trip Advisor users. When we return to San Miguel, we will definitely try a different hotel.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled as a couple