“A great learning and tasting experience”

La Cocina Cooking School
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Immerse yourself in the gastronomy and culture of Mexico. La Cocina offers more than just a cooking class—-they delve into the country's fascinating heritage and history, allowing you to transport a true culinary experience into your own kitchen. From market tours and seasonal menus to centuries-old traditional dishes, La Cocina will enrich your San Miguel experience.
Reviewed February 14, 2014

My husband and I were also in the class on Jan. 28th for Kris Randolph's class on Healthy Mexican cooking. Besides having recipes that were delicious they were also ones we could use when we returned home. Kris also takes groups to places in Europe for cooking experiences. Her website for these is DeliciousExpeditions.com.

1  Thank paddygordo
There are newer reviews for La Cocina Cooking School

Reviewed January 31, 2014

Just completed a class, with Kris Rudolph, at her wonderful Mexican cooking school. Can't say enough about what a pleasurable experience we enjoyed overall. The recipes Kris chose utilized a wide array of healthy, fresh, colorful fruits, vegetables, nuts and herbs. We began the class off with a palate pleasing sangria made with dried hibiscus flowers, and a perfect guacamole dip. Together, we created two main dishes; Shrimp with Green Pipian and Chicken with Roasted tomato Salsa. Both excellent and accompanied by Pineapple, Jicama and Avocado Salad. The meal was topped off with a Fruit Salad Macerated in Mescal and served with a scoop of ice cream. All of these wonderful, hands-on creations were enriched by Kris' generous sharing of her extensive knowledge of the history of traditional Mexican food preparation and her deep expertise in the culinary arts. Left the class, after sharing this wonderful feast, with several fine recipes in hand, a memorable experience and increased knowledge about the art of cooking mexican style.

Reviewed January 31, 2014

On my second trip here, I had seen all the local tourist sights, so I wanted to try something different. I signed up for the Mexican Light cooking class and liked Kris and her approach so much that I signed up for three more classes. All were great! Classes are held in the building where her El Buen Cafe is, as well as her B & B. You get to prepare the food with her direction, receive copies of the recipes, and have the best margarita ever with your finished products. Price was very reasonable, $80 USD, for the best meal and fun you will have in SMA. I also had her make us two delicious desserts, Chocolate Kahlua Cake and Rasberry Cipotle Brownies, which were quickly devoured. The recipes I cooked for my housemates were big successes!

2  Thank Carol G
Reviewed January 29, 2014

A fun and educational Thursday evening in Kris's great kitchen for a traditional Mexican class. There are other offerings as well. Hands on making guacamole, mole, stuffed poblanos, cactus salad, and tres leche cake, all in three hours. Then enjoyed our efforts with margaritas. You learn about culture as well as about food. Hope to return for another class.

Reviewed January 14, 2014

I have loved these classes so much I have taken 4 of them now on three separate trips to San Miguel. Kris is a wonderful teacher and is very passionate about the food and culture in Mexico. She has a beautiful kitchen where you do hands on classes. The food has been amazing every time and the recipes are not so complicated that I have been able to replicate them again at home. I have learned something new from Kris each class I've taken, cooking tips, history of chocolate, agave plants, and cultural tidbits to name a few. I highly recommend this cooking school!
She also owns a wonderful little restaurant El Buen cafe that is a must try!

1  Thank Meghan S