“A piece of San Miguel captured on canvas in a single session!”

Cristi Fer Art Gallery and Workshops
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: <1 hour
Owner description: Original paintings and photography created by the founders Mexican muralist Fernando Gonzalez & artist therapist Cristiana .Contemporary fine art. Abstract, Realistic, Expressionist. Custom designed art lessons for your level of experience. One day no experience to one month advanced. All materials included
Useful Information: Stairs / elevator, Activities for older children, Bathroom facilities
Reviewed May 6, 2017

In mid-April this year I took Fernando's four-hour workshop in acrylic painting. Although I had painted in the past, I learned many useful things about color and technique and gained a lot of self-confidence in the use of the medium. Fernando is a highly organized and results-oriented instructor. Students work in a large, well-lit space where all the materials are meticulously laid out before each class. Students pick a photo of a building façade in San Miguel from several hanging on the wall, and Fernando takes them through the process of creating a realistic painting based on the photo. I was quite impressed by two things in particular: (a) Fernando's ability to break down the process into simple, straightforward steps, and (b) his respect for the student's work, in the sense that he never touches the student's canvas himself. Instead, he illustrates his points on a sheet of craft paper laid out on a table so that, in the end, what the student creates is truly his own work, not half his own and half the teacher's. This makes the students come away with a sense of achievement. As for the cost of the four-hour session (US$ 90.00), it is very reasonable in my view. The fee covers the use of paints and brushes plus the cost of one stretched canvas, and $22.50 per hour is a pretty small sum for a class by a talented, experienced painter with a higher degree from one of Mexico's best schools of fine arts and a solid, didactic approach. The class is intended, above all, to have the students enjoy themselves while gaining familiarity with basic techniques and getting immediate results. Fernando is easy to talk to and is patient in answering questions. All of this enhances the experience. I highly recommend his workshop.

1  Thank 221happytraveler
Cristiana M, Owner at Cristi Fer Art Gallery and Workshops, responded to this reviewResponded July 4, 2017

Thank you for all the kind remarks. It was my privilege to work with you and I hope you will continue painting! I am confident you will have great resoults
Maestro Fernando Gonzalez

All reviews
"painting class"
in 26 reviews
"painting experience"
in 8 reviews
"doors and windows"
in 5 reviews
"highly recommend taking a class"
"san miguel"
"hour class"
"wonderful memory"
"four hours"

Reviewed May 6, 2017

We had a tremendous time at Cristi Fer. The hours slipped by without us even realizing it. Cristi is an awesome and patient teacher. We had never painted before and I am still blown away by the results. The colors of San Miguel have always been inspiring and spending a morning learning how to paint, and trying to capture maybe just a bit of the magic was great. I can highly recommend both the experience, the teacher and the results. And the 2nd floor studio is perfect for a small group. Me gusto mucho. Tuvimos un rato maravilloso

Thank you for all the comments. We are so happy when participants feel the way you describe!
Looking forward to paint with you in the near feature!

Cristi

Reviewed April 30, 2017 via mobile

I took a week long art workshop from these talented artists. The first two days included information about colour how to mix it to achieve different hues. Great information about basics of colour wheel and instruction and demonstration on using different strokes and on use of palette knife. I also learned a variety of ways to use texture and came home with several paintings. I was fortunate to work with Cristina who is also an art therapist which was helpful during our sessions together. Excellent experience!!!

Reviewed April 23, 2017

I was quite surprised the picture that I created. Fernando broke the task down and provide individual help to understand each step of the process. Though I got frustrated he was encouraging and patient. I have a beautiful picture to remind me of the experience and San Miguel. Thank you.

1  Thank sseu2017
ArtandStaff, Owner at Cristi Fer Art Gallery and Workshops, responded to this reviewResponded April 27, 2017

Thanks for your post! Your opinion is very important to me. Many of our workshop participants turn to TripAdvisor to insure their time and $ is spend wisely.
I enjoyed working with you and your willingness to learn and have fun reflect in your painting! Your result speaks for itself!
Fernando Gonzalez