“Creative and Inspired”

Cuisines: Argentinean, Italian
Good for: Special occasions, Business meetings, Romantic, Large groups
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Reservations
Reviewed May 31, 2014

During the month I was in San Miguel de Allende I visited El Tomato twice; first with my husband and sister and later just my husband. I really loved this restaurant. The staff was very friendly and well trained. The food was excellent.

I had the polenta both times because it was so good that I just wanted to eat it again. It was creamy just as polenta should be and was a beautiful presentation; polenta on the bottom, braised red cabbage next, Italian sausage and finally a sprig of basil. The flavor was great.

My sister had one of the ravioli dishes and raved about it. My husband had a pasta the first time and a steak next visit.

If I visit San Miguel de Allende again I will definitely eat at El Tomato again.

Reviewed May 31, 2014

The food was delectable, the service was outstanding and the atmosphere extremely pleasant. The menu was extremely creative and with three different entrees, all of us were pleased with the results. If I have one criticism it would be that the helpings were a little too generous. Try the gnocchi; it was outstanding. The staff was very accommodating, friendly and helpful. We would definitely return.

Reviewed April 10, 2014 via mobile

Thank you for the care and live you gave us. Being at your restaurant was a wonderful experience one we will never forget.

Reviewed March 12, 2014

A last minute change in plans sent us here and we were not all that inspired. We couldn't get water by the glass (that should have tipped us off but didn't.) I asked for a salad along with my entree that came with two sides and was told that I couldn't...then he changed his mind.
Wife and sister shared an entree (they charged for sharing as well although they loved their meal), bro had the Salmon which was a large portion drenched in a sauce, and I had the flank steak that was advertised as the special ($50 pesos less) but was charged the regular menu price. It was well cooked and tasted great.
The icing on the cake was we all three that ate the salad came down sick the next day (a travel day of course!) due to a salad that was unwashed. They need to get it together or just serve Mexicans.

2  Thank Tmprinting
ElTomatoSMA, Owner at El Tomato, responded to this reviewResponded March 14, 2014

Hi Tmprinting,

I am sorry you feel this way about your experience at El Tomato. And to be fair, I just wanted to clarify some points both to you and to other readers on TripAdvisor:

1) Water by the glass is ALWAYS an option, we never deny a glass of water to ANYBODY and the water that do serve is bottled from a "garrafon" as it's known here. What we do encourage though, is for people's piece of mind mostly, is to purchase bottles of water that we open right in front of the customer so that they know that they are having safe water. We do it either way and as the customer chooses.

2) We've been in business for 6 years now, and I believe we done so partly because our food is SAFE and DESINFECTED. Do you really think we would still be in business had we served infected food all these years? More than half our clientele is American and Canadian, do you think that's coincidence? I certainly don't believe so.

3) Entrées that are served are usually larger portions so that 2 people can have a nice meal without feeling too full -- in the case of ravioli, it's 1 ½ portions for 2 people; in the case of steaks, you get double side-orders. And if you look at the economics of if, you actually get more bang for your buck when you share.

4) We don't advertise "specials" because we don't have "specials". We have "Chef's Recommendations" and they are not on special or at a discounted price. Maybe that would explain why you were charged regular price on your Angus Flank Steak.

5) The salmon is not "drenched", it is the sauce that the salmon comes with and based on customers' feedback it's been a hit cuz our salmon is never dry (unless that's how you ask for it).

6) All my customers are important to us: both the 50% "gringo" side as you call it, and the 50% Mexican side. I for one am Canadian, and I eat my food all the time and I never get sick from my restaurant's food nor have I ever had a case of food poisoning from my restaurant -- unfortunately, like you, when I eat out I have to watch where I eat cuz my system can't take local bacteria, so do be careful where you eat outside of my restaurant...

If you are still in town, I'd like to comp you a meal. If you've already left beautiful San Miguel, let your brother know that he can come pay us a visit. But please, refrain from accusing the one salad that your family had cuz you never know what exactly didn't go down too well... All I can say that nobody has been ill from my salads in the past 6 years.

Please do take me up on my offer. Looking forward to having you come back soon.

El Tomato

Reviewed March 4, 2014

We've eaten here before and it was great. This time, it was okay. One of us had the salmon, which was not cooked enough and sent back, but then it was perfectly cooked and described as "the best meal I've had in San Miguel". The rest of us thought our meals were just okay. And we found it quite pricey for what we got--I think the ribs were $30 or something like that. The bruschetta was wonderful though!

2  Thank northerndancer