“Very Nice Meal”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of El Tomato

El Tomato
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions, Business meetings, Dining on a budget, Large groups
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Staunton, Virginia
“Very Nice Meal”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 19, 2013

We ate at El Tomato twice; once for a glass of wine and a snack after exhausting ourselves on the hills of San Miguel and once for dinner on our last night in town. We were very happy both times. The dining room is small, but nice, and there is a patio that is comfortable. The patio shares a courtyard with some other venues, which seemed a little odd, but life in Mexico is a mix of contradictions. Our dinner was excellent. My husband ordered the Argentine cut of filet mignon. The portion was large, perfectly cooked and deliciously seasoned. The Argentine cut appears to leave the fat on, so the steak of extremely tender. The green beans and roast potatoes were both also perfectly prepared. We had delicious wine both times -- once ordered by the glass and once by the bottle. Our server was very nice, friendly, and attentive.

• Visited August 2013

Cabo San Lucas, Mexico
“Good overall meal in a comfortable and clean place”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 3, 2013 via mobile

We visited El Tomato for two reasons, first after the fiasco we experienced at La Virundela the evening before (unwarranted bigotry and segregation) we still had the flavor and want of Argentinian food. Second it started pouring on us and we happened to be only a block and a half away and we had seen it and returned in the rain for cover. We started with their Argentinian Empanadas, one with corn and veggies, other with spinach and the other with meat. Very tasty, different flavors that what we are acustomed to but tasty, especially the meat one. We had a lasagne which was surprisingly good (very different but good), I ordered the Penne with Italian Sausage which The pasta was cooked almost right on, flavor was a little bland overall but a good enough meal. Two had the Flank steaks which was very giod and cooked perfectly. my wife had the Bife de vacio. Although cooked perfectly it was a little dry as is dairly common for really thick but good flavor overall. For Dessert we split a Pear with Peamesaen and wine sauce. Inventive and tasty with the differnt flavor Accenting the others. Service was pretty good overall. For good food and meat in the main downtown area this is a good choice. Maybe not extraordinay but good, reasonable prices, clean an overall good experience.

• Visited August 2013
“We went again and they did not disaappoint”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 1, 2013 via mobile

This time we had a delicious and juicy flank steak with oven baked yam and carrots and french beans. But started with the shrimp fettuccine that was excellent. This is uncomplicated cuisine, fresh and true to flavors. Definitely in my Top 5 of San Miguel

• Visited July 2013
San Miguel de Allende, Mexico
“Ordinary”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 11, 2013 via mobile

We read all the excellent reviews and decided to try the ribeye as we were really yearning for a great steak. Have to say at 410 pesos for sharing (30 pesos extra)what hardly appeared like an 18 oz portion, it was very ordinary. Presentation was uninspiring, the green beans were overcooked and the potatoes ho-hum. Would not return, too pricey for too so-so.

Visited July 2013
ElTomatoSMA, Manager at El Tomato, responded to this review, September 20, 2013
Dear SMAPhotographer,

I refuse to have a customer of mine have an "ordinary" experience at my restaurant. I can accept that there may have been an "off" day perhaps, but not ordinary. And as San Miguel residents, we both know that in a town like ours where we all know each other sooner or later, businesses cannot afford negative comments floating around in conversations. ;-)

I have some pretty good reviews on this very same web page, and so to be fair to you, I'd like to show you what other people have been talking about. So I have a proposal for you -- I invite you to call in, make a reservation, let us know you are "SMAPhotographer" over the phone and I'll take care of the rest. Is that a deal? :-)

Thank you for your review. Looking forward to you coming back soon to visit.

Hasta pronto!
USA
“Don't go out of your way”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 7, 2013

This restaurant is definitely good - it is just not great. If you're in SMA for a month, then definitely give it a try. If you only have a few days, there are plenty of more interesting (tasty) options.

The service is acceptable - not great.

As I mentioned the food is good. Cooked properly, presented nicely and the portions are average.

But that's just it - average.

I had the empanadas - they were fine. No standout flavors, no amazing sauces. Average - fine.

I also had the beef (carne) lasagna. It came in a bowl covered with shredded parmesan cheese. It was tasty and filling - but it was not incredible. I would not race back to try it again.

So, like I said if you have several weeks and the luxury of trying tons of SMA restaurants - then this is a totally acceptable choice. Otherwise - don't go out of your way.

• Visited July 2013