“A Local Gem”

Cuisines: Mexican
Dining options: Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Description: Familiar atmosphear
Reviewed April 26, 2012

Don Felix has been around for a long time. Starting out as a taco stand that just got too big for it's briches. Now it's in the family home. The atmosphere is warm and friendly. They make you feel like you belong in San Miguel. The menu isn't huge, you wont find any vegetarian options for example, but what they do they do very well. Excellent margaritas, a little expensive for my taste but very good.

2  Thank goldmond

Reviewed April 1, 2012

Don Felix's food and his in house restaurant are worth the trip to "Independencia"

The taco combo is a bit much for one, but great.

Reviewed March 27, 2012

I had heard of this restaurant over the years, and never made the time for a visit. Some SMA resident friends and I were looking for a place to go while making one of my visits there, and I told them that I had always wanted to try this place out. They were very familiar with it, and I took their suggestion that we go early, as a crowd can start to form around dinner time. This restaurant is only open on limited days, so if you want to go, make plans and call for a reservation.

This restaurant is tucked in a neighborhood that by outward appearances might seem strange and an unusual locale for this type of property. But do not be fooled, go inside Tacos Don Felix, and you will enjoy the atmosphere by itself, and then wait until the food arrives!!!

The service was great, and the owner, Felix, decided the he would wait on our table that night, and he was very engaging and informative when we asked for his personal recommendations on the menu items. I found the food to be very good, the prices right in line with what we received and the service and atmosphere very enjoyable.

Give this place and try and I am so glad that I finally made an effort to try out this restaurant. Now I know why it is so popular with the locals and returning tourists to SMA.

1  Thank vetspet01
Reviewed March 12, 2012

Enjoyed dinner, had lots left over. Everyone had something different and it was all fantastic. Friendly service and very helpful.

Reviewed March 10, 2012

We have visited San Miguel de Allende twice in the past two years and dined at Tacos Don Felix on both occasions. Don't let the name of the restaurant throw you off -- I will explain that in a minute -- because Tacos Don Felix offers a very sophisticated continental cuisine and is a first class restaurant in all respects.

On our first visit in February of 2011, we went with a local couple who have lived in SMA for about 10 years. Tacos Don Felix is one of their favorite haunts and they know the owner well. It turns out that the owner many years ago operated a taco stand in the neighborhood. With much hard work, skill, and determination and by reinvesting his profits in his business, he was able eventually to open the restaurant known today as Tacos Don Felix -- the name, of course, evoking the owner's simpler past establishment. The owner apparently designed the restaurant building himself and it provides a very interesting and comfortable environment.

The menu is not extensive, but offers something for every taste. The food is perfectly prepared and beautifully presented, making us always consider the possibility of asking for seconds. Service is impeccable. Both of our meals at Taco Don Felix compared favorably to our experience at a fine restaurant in the United States or in Europe. Although expensive by local standards, a dinner with wine and dessert costs about half of what one would expect to pay in a four star restaurant in the United States. The owner and many of his staff speak excellent English, so language is not a problem for an American who does not speak Spanish.

Tacos Don Felix is somewhat obscurely located in Colonia San Rafael, so it is a bit off the beaten path and is not really within walking distance of the center of SMA. But trust me on this one -- it is more than worth the 40 Peso cab ride!

I recommend Tacos Don Felix without hesitation or reservation of any kind.

1  Thank cptcwk