“Love the pizza”

Antigua Trattoria Romana
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Description: Cozy little restaurant with authentic Italian food located on San Miguel de Allende's corner with most personality.
Reviewed August 16, 2013

For a consistently good, fresh, hot pizza, it's hard to beat Antigua Trattoria Romana. My wife and I dined with 6 friends and our service was very good. It's not always easy to find a restaurant that will seat 8 people but when we arrived our table was waiting for us as I had made a reservation earlier in the day. I like a very saucy pizza and since this tends not to be the case with most restaurants serving pizza in Mexico, I always request a side bowl of extra sauce which I did last night. The waiter thought I said extra sausage which was delivered to the table along with the sauce which was no problem as we gobbled that up as well. We ordered a large vegetarian pizza with sausage, fully expecting to take several slices home, which, of course never happened as we ate the entire one. Oh well, next time we will order an even larger one so we can enjoy leftovers the next day.

1  Thank Balidude

Reviewed August 3, 2013 via mobile

I tried this because it was late and the other place I wanted to visit had already closed the kitchen. Glad I did. They close their kitchen around 10:45 pm so later diners are welcome which is not too easy to find here. Service started off well as they quickly prepared a table for myself and 3 boys. After that service was very slow but not horrible. We were not too hungry alert a late lunch but I ordered the lasagne and it was very tasty. This is one dish I am always hard on and almost have to try in every Italian joint I visit. It was great. One of the top lasagna on my list. We ordered pizza for the boys, half pepperoni and the other half I made the mistake of ordering the 4 cheeses on the other half. Pepperoni was really good pizza. The 4 cheeses was very good for what it was but not of my liking. I can't take much blue cheese and this pizza was super strong with no tomato sauce. Again for this who like those flavors the quality was right on but just no my liking. I would strongly recommend this for a good meal. Small 12 table joint on a main road at the main intersection. I was able to easily find parking and would certainly come back. Ambiance was small and quaint and I did not mind at all the streets oustide and traffic although I read some that did not like this. I felt comfortable and am only at 3 stars for ambiance because of the somewhat cheesy old style or old school Italian joint which I actually like. Well done.

Reviewed June 11, 2013

My take-order order of scampi and vegetables and one bottled water came to $229 pesos. I was hoping the meal I took home would be remarkable. Sadly, it was not. The scampi was overcooked and tough. It was served with cauliflower, carrots and boiled potatoes in a butter sauce with parsley. My description of it would be, benign. Not terrible by any means, but for the price, way under par. The wait staff was courteous to me and had the meal to me in the less than 15 minutes they promised.

The interior of the restaurant I found to be pleasant. Not as dated as one other poster said. I found it spotlessly clean. But these prices are for tourists, which I am not.

Reviewed May 15, 2013

We had fish ($200) and lamb chops ($350 ) The fish was just ok and the lamb chops were excellent. The Cesar salad was excellent. The service was excellent.

Reviewed March 26, 2013

I have eaten at this restaurant 2 or 3 times. Part of its problem is that it is located in a very busy and noisy part of town and the front doors were open the entire visit. The service was very good, the atmosphere just OK and my entre (Lasagna de Carne) was not so good. Presentation is good, but there was too much beef and not much flavor! One other person didn't like his entre, whereas the other 4 said their meals were very good. What they served and called focacia was a sorry excuse for focacia. I have never really liked this place, but got roped into it, as it were. The place is a bit tired both in ambiance and when it comes to the food. They have been around for several years, but there are better options in San Miguel. The price was a bit high for the quality.