“Spa has gone downhill....”
Review of Hotel Matilda

Hotel Matilda
Reviewed August 2, 2011

Came to this beautiful hotel 4 times in December 2010 to use their spa and eat at their restaurant... It was divine. Had 2 spa treatments- both with a Turkish bath and massage- they were perfect! Looked forward to coming back all year....

Just had the same treatment today ... Not the same, sad to say. I had to translate for my friend who came with me when we got there (thought it was weird at a 5 star hotel spa), then got to my treatment with the Turkish bath- no steam, no various exfoliants and body masks, they offered me a paper speedo to wear that was too big, I had to ask for the steam to be put on....And the floor was gritty from the previous users exfoliant- so it felt like walking on walnut shells..... Then I asked for a male masseuse for the massage, only young women were available. I was put into a relax room between treatments and heard the young women laughing and cutting up in the next room- not very relaxing.... Then the massage that was aromatherapy had only 2 choices of oils (5 last December) and they seemed old and not very potent. The girl giving the massage was good- but seemed not to have a lot of experience and the room was pretty hot- I was sweating through the whole massage with no AC on... I don't mean to nitpick about the whole thing- but when you are paying $250 + and had an amazing experience before- just a big letdown. No one asked how was the experience or even said goodbye... Very disappointing.....

• Stayed: August 2011
brucejames, General Manager at Hotel Matilda, responded to this reviewResponded August 19, 2011

Dear M2tulsa:

As someone who has visited our hotel and spa previously and thoroughly enjoyed your experiences, it was especially disturbing for us to read about your recent visit. From the day we opened, our spa has been showered with kudos, including awards from magazines and top ratings from reviewers. But apparently we were not at our best that day, and I would like to sincerely apologize for not meeting your expectations.

You described your previous visits to the spa as “perfect” – and that is the standard that we have prided ourselves in establishing, and that we strive to provide every day of the year. To ensure we continue to meet that goal, I have asked the spa manager and her staff to review all practices and procedures, and to specifically address the points you made in your comments.

I sincerely hope you will give us another opportunity to demonstrate that we offer one of the best spa experiences in Mexico. I look forward with pleasure to welcoming you personally on your next visit, which I hope will be soon.

Bruce James

Reviewed July 9, 2011

Great location, great service, wonderful breakfast, fantastic rooms, best bed i've slept in in years! It's expensive, but worth every penny if you want to splurge. The waiter serving me my breakfast was wonderful and very sweet. The only thing was that I on check in was asked if I wanted a cup of coffee the next morning brought to my room. I was asked in detail about how I took my coffee, what kind of milk I preferred and what time I wanted it. The next morning however, it never showed. But I don't really care about that. I had a wonderful time at the Matilda and would come back in a heartbeat if I could afford it ;)

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled solo
Reviewed June 23, 2011

The four of us had a glorious and very special dinner there. The new chef from Boston, made us an "off-menu" continuous flow of terrific, almost tapas style dishes, that were quite unique and bursting with complex flavors.

As we finish one dish, another arrived, and he described them in detail. We were all impressed with the decor, food, and attentive service. The simple looking green salad was a complex mix of flavors and ingredients, likely the best we've experienced, and two of the four of us are gourmet cooks in our own right.

Many of the ingredients were locally grown and especially fresh and flavorful. The final touch was an over-the-top soursop sorbet. The dinner with wine and tip for four was $2400 pesos and worth it.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 9, 2011

As soon as I stepped into the Hotel Matilda, I wanted to fall in love. The design and architecture was trendy and minimalist without feeling cold. The beds were clean, comfortable and plush. The location was great as well, down a narrow romantic street but still close to the Jardin and Cathedral.

The only issue I had with the Hotel Matilda was their staff. Despite the fact that we didn't see another guest at the hotel our entire visit (two nights and three days), they failed to tell us about the complimentary breakfast, there were no prices listed in the spa menu, and we didn't even realize they had a gym until the very last day. Their website provides a lot more information on the pool than their staff or in-room materials do. Even when asking for suggestions of things to do in the area, the staff seemed confused and couldn't give any answers.

The pool is nice and surprisingly cold -- they even let us do a "late-night" dip at 10 PM because no other guests were in the restaurant.

It took us 20 minutes to check-out of the hotel due to confusion on the part of the staff, and at one point the front desk went from being manned by 2 people to having 5 staff members trying to figure out what was going on with our reservation. The entire time, they treated my party and I like criminals and did not even offer to call us a cab even though we had our luggage with us.

There are other, more authentic hotels to stay in while visiting San Miguel. Don't let your stay in this beautiful town be ruined by this staff's cold demeanor!

Room Tip: Try to get a room away from the restaurant/bar.
  • Stayed: June 2011, traveled with friends
6  Thank hokiegirl6
asanhueza, General Manager at Hotel Matilda, responded to this reviewResponded June 16, 2011

We were delighted to read how much you enjoyed the design, comforts and location of Hotel Matilda. It was disheartening, however, that your stay was not 100 per cent perfect. Superior guest service, delivered by a friendly and sincere staff, is our top priority at Hotel Matilda, but we apparently missed the mark during your recent visit. To make sure this doesn’t happen again, I am taking immediate steps including increasing our training efforts with renewed emphasis on guest service and expanding the information provided at check-in about the hotel and the destination. We hope you will come back soon so we have the opportunity to show you how wonderful a stay at Hotel Matilda can be.

Reviewed April 26, 2011

I recently stayed at Hotel Matilda and was so pleased that I did not want to leave! Extremely tranquil and relaxing atmosphere combined with a very friendly and helpful staff...The pool situation is amazing! Even had a wonderful message at their in-house spa...I was there for a wedding so I was able to see other bed and breakfasts and hotels and Hotel Matilda by far was the nicest place...Very well located too! I highly recommend this hotel!!! BTW - I also really liked the artwork throughout the lobby and lounges!

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank MZA1979
Reviewed March 19, 2011

We happened upon Hotel Matilda during a recent visit to San Miguel. We wished that we had heard of it before we booked our B&B. So we settled for a great dinner in the restaurant. The style is trendy and elegant in the heart of a city known for its artistic beauty. There is no other hotel to compare with the contemporary atmosphere we experienced. Staff was friendly, helpful and included a walk around by Chef Bernie which made our experience so enjoyable. We travel frequently through Asia and the Middle East and our meal at Hotel Matilda ranks with the best we have experienced elsewhere.

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 19, 2011

As a part time resident of San Miguel I had dinner in early January at the newly opened Hotel Matilda. The old Villa Jacaranda was torn down and totally rebuilt. The hotel is contemporary and chic and has a very attractive lobby, restaurant and upstairs bar and lounge. I had a great dinner with friends. I would also suggest trying the casual bar menu upstairs. The old Jacaranda was a getting very tired so this is a very welcome addition to San Miguel.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled solo