“Delicious Food - Overpriced Wine”

San Miguel Deli & Bistro
Good for: Business meetings, Romantic, Special occasions, Large groups
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations
Description: Eclectic Fusion Bistro menu in a beautiful setting overlooking San Miguel de Allende and romantic sunsets with mountain views from a private terrace.
Kaleden, Canada
“Delicious Food - Overpriced Wine”
Reviewed January 26, 2013

I had read a glowing review on Civil List SMA and, after scouting the restaurant on a walk through a few days before, decided we would give it a try.

The dining room is cozy and elegant. The service is attentive. The food is delicious. In fact, you could find yourselves overfilling yourselves with the bread, butter, olives and tuna pate which are delivered to your table soon after ordering.

The wine list is very overpriced. A glass of Las Moras Cab Sauv, a bottle of which could be had at the Soriana discount sale for 68 pesos, went for 75 pesos. The prices by the bottle looked to begin in the high 300s. A restaurant should be offering you a choice at around 180 pesos.

I started with a brie filled beignet with ginger compote. Actually 3 beignets come on the dish so great for sharing. Had I been more adventurous, and I wish I had, I would have opted for a more savoury beignet, the one with bacalao in the middle.

My wife and her friend split a salad and bacalao au gratin. An ample meal for them and divided very nicely. I tasted the bacalao and it was very mild, soft and tasty.

I had the mustard seeded pork loin wrapped in pastry with an accompaniment of roasted apples and onions. The pork was perfectly cooked and the presentation was outstanding.

My margarita with a house tequila was only 50p.

I am always looking for international cuisine as an alternative to the totopes, tortillas and guacamole. This portuguese cusine based restaurant deserves your attention.

open for breakfast, lunch and dinner. The lunch menu had some intriguing dishes as well at a more economical price.

• Visited January 2013
3 Thank RoninVancouver

The World
“We had a very good late lunch/early dinner on the terrace”
Reviewed December 22, 2012

We had comida/a late lunch or early dinner on a Saturday afternoon at Mezzanine Bistro (Cuna de Allende 11, Nivel Mezzanine Dentro del Hotel Vista Hermosa, San Miguel de Allende, Gto., tel. 415-152-2799, web: www.mezzaninebistro.wordpress.com). We went to the top terrace and we were the only customers at the time. The view south, with the mountains in the background, was spectacular. Our table had an especially good view of the Parroquia. Our server was professional, friendly and good. We shared everything as usual and ordered a starter, a main and a dessert. For our starter we ordered the “Berenjena Rostizada con queso de cabra, arugala, almendra, moron y jitomate” (M$75). The dish was very good. For our main we ordered the “Carne de porco a alentejana” (M$140) which was described in English as Portuguese pork and clams in garlic, white wine and paprika. It was a very good dish and the pork was very tender. For guarniciones we ordered “Salteado de espinacas y hungos” (M$25) and “Gratin dauphinois” (M$30). Both were very good. The portion was big enough for two and we were happy. For dessert we ordered the “pastel de almendras” (M$50) and a coffee (M$30). The pastel was surprisingly moist and delicious. We spent M$350 plus tip and we recommend this restaurant.

• Visited August 2012
San Miguel de Allende, Mexico
“I was really disappointed”
Reviewed November 27, 2011

On a glowing recommendation from my wife and I, four of us went to the Mezzanine Bistro for a special occasion. My wife and i had been on prior occasions and had been very pleased. Not so this time. The service was attentive and friendly, the decor was wonderful. The restaurant was not filled so we were very kindly offered seating on the terrace. Just a beautiful location overlooking nighttime SMA.

The first problem arose with the white wine we had with some very excellent starters. My friend, who is very knowledgeable in this area, ordered a bottle of a Chilean Sauvignon Blanc ($390 pesos). Instead we received a not well-chilled Argentinian Sauvignon Blanc that Costco in Celaya sells in a 6-pack for less than $79 pesos a bottle. When questioned, the waiter said that the person printing the menu had made a mistake. We were still charged the full $390 pesos ... a great markup.

For a mains, two of us ordered the Pork Encroute with roasted apple. Beautifully presented, excellent flavours., a joy to eat. About 4 or 5 minutes later, the other two meals showed up.

As I said, I was really disappointed and more than a little embarrassed at our suggestion for this special occasion. When you are charged the prices we were, the restaurant must be on its game.

• Visited November 2011
Queretaro City, Mexico
“Top of the line...”
Reviewed July 28, 2011

Absolutely Delicioooous!!! Been there twice, The Chef Paulo from Canada (Toronto) with Portuguese roots is always present to make your dinner a special ocassion... The Duck, Ossobucco, The fish, empanadas, Crepe, everything so well cookedand seasoned and the presentation was perfect too...
Congratulations, arrive early otherwise some of the dishes are no longer available since they run-out fast!!!

• Visited May 2011
1 Thank GermanGoyeneche
San Miguel de Allende, Mexico
“Chicest Bistro in San Miguel!”
Reviewed February 17, 2011

I have eaten at Mezzanine several times and have yet to have a poor meal or bad service. I feel like I am dining in a European bistro and the attention to detail is great! A town as chic as San Miguel deserves such a gastronomic treat! Congrats to Chef Paulo Pocinho for striving for excellence in a town that often times lets you down when it comes to a fine dining experience!

• Visited January 2011