“Exceeded Expectations”

Marilau, Mexican Ancestry Cooking School
More attraction details
Owner description: Hola y muy bienvenidos! As in all cultures, those born and raised in the society are the best source of knowledge about traditions. As a Mexican native, I inherited my Mexican cuisine knowledge from my previous generations. And my passion too! From my earliest years, I watched my mother, my aunts and grandparents in the kitchen, so I invite you to join me in tranquility to take our aprons and spoons, to use the very fresh ingredients of our Mexican Cuisine, and recreate together those delicious dishes. I love sharing my knowledge about one of the most varied and delicious cuisines in the world. I take pride in customizing my classes to suit the needs of all students -that don't have to stick to a fix classes program calendar- in my cozy kitchen with its antique Mexican molcajetes and metates. Just contact us to arrange your own hands-on class with a maximum of 4 students per class to insure individualized attention to each. Classes are from Monday to Friday, starting at 10:00 am. A special schedule can be arranged for private groups. A minimum number students apply for each class. We offer open custom classes for short stay students and professional intensive courses.
Reviewed February 24, 2013

I was very fortunate to have three days in a row with Maria, one on one. I have always loved Mexican food, but didn't experiment with it in my own kitchen. I was intimidated by the variety of chiles and apparently complex steps (in making a mole'). Maria made it all seem so easy. She doesn't teach "Tex-Mex", this is authentic! She offers a set of established classes to choose from, or you can mix and match items to create your own menu. Since I had three days, I chose the Classic Salsas for the first day which was perfect. Six different salsas, different types of chiles (both dried and fresh) along with lots of "rules" for chile usage. Second, I took the Mole class, it was fantastic. A complex salsa with many ingredients and many uses. Maria encouraged tasting after each additional ingredient to understand how every addition changed the taste and texture of the mole. I will never buy pre-packaged mole again! Finally, I chose a "mix and match" menu from Maria's vast list of options to see how everything could come together to make a meal. A wonderful finish to three perfect days. Maria provides all the recipes for you to take home with you, but you write down the cooking/preparation methods so that you can understand what to do. She is very receptive to questions and there is no language barrier at all. This was my first time taking a cooking class and learned so much more than I expected or ever could from reading a cookbook or watching a tv show.

There are newer reviews for Marilau, Mexican Ancestry Cooking School

Reviewed January 30, 2013

My wife Nancy and I took 2 classes with Marie last week. What a wonderful hands on study of Mexican Cuisine. One class was on Mole and the other Classical Mexican Salsas. "Now, salsa isn't that vegetable dip you get in the states -- salsa is sauce" Marie begins. The rest of the class was a lovely walk through the history of Mexican Cuisine by way of making 6 classic salsas.
I have been making mole or a long time and thought I knew how to do it until I met Marie.
We have all of our ingredients assembled and are making our first real mole today !
We even bought a comal for our kitchen.
I have been a chef and instructor for my entire professional life. It was a pleasure to have an authentic experience at Marie's cooking school. It was the highlight of our 2 week visit to San Miguel.We will take more classes in the future.

We were reluctant to visit Mexico because of the troubles. I have to say that we did not have any problems so don't hesitate to vacation there.

Viva Mexico! We will be back!

Reviewed November 22, 2012

From the moment we entered Marilau's kitchen we knew it would be a wonderful day.

Her kitchen is clean, authentic and warm. Many of her recipes date back many, many generations, some from the 1700s, and she shares her passion for and knowledge of cooking beautifully. She taught three of us a hands on class making Tortilla Soup, Nogales and Tiga and all three were unbelievably good dishes. Marilua shared her recipes, tips on preparing and cooking and instructed us on what to do and why. She also shared information about her culture and family and what to do and see in San Miguel de Allende.

We will definitely come back to learn to make more authentic Mexican food with Marilau! It was an experience not to be missed.

Reviewed October 17, 2012 via mobile

I had the pleasure of learning to cook with Maria over 3 days while I lived in San Miguel for a month. I was interested in learning authentic Mexican dishes and that I did! Maria is a fantastic teacher, showing you the techniques then letting you do the rest, you really learn that way. Her list of menu options is extensive and through her passion for Mexican cooking, she'll excite you to want to try many recipes. Her teaching style is very informative, she not only tells you what goes in a dish but why which really helps you learn why Mexican food is so delicious. Maria is very patient with beginners and became a friend while I was in San Miguel. Her love for her heritage and the cuisine that comes with it is infectious and learning from her was one of the highlights of my trip to San Miguel! A must for home cooks, chefs and those who love Mexican Cuisine!

Reviewed October 8, 2012

We took a class with Marilau in September 2012, a corn-husk tamale-making class!
The class was a true learning experience and a most enjoyable time. Marilau's passion, extense knowledge and experience with 100% Authentic Mexican foods is incomparable! The class was hands-on, fun and taught very well. Marilau is a gracious teacher/host and is willing to share form her vast experience and knowledge. A class with Marilau is a must for any foodie enthusiast that visits San Miguel de Allende. You also get to eat the fruits of your labor...delicious!