“Great experience!”

Marilau, Mexican Ancestry Cooking School
More attraction details
Owner description: Hola y muy bienvenidos! As in all cultures, those born and raised in the society are the best source of knowledge about traditions. As a Mexican native, I inherited my Mexican cuisine knowledge from my previous generations. And my passion too! From my earliest years, I watched my mother, my aunts and grandparents in the kitchen, so I invite you to join me in tranquility to take our aprons and spoons, to use the very fresh ingredients of our Mexican Cuisine, and recreate together those delicious dishes. I love sharing my knowledge about one of the most varied and delicious cuisines in the world. I take pride in customizing my classes to suit the needs of all students -that don't have to stick to a fix classes program calendar- in my cozy kitchen with its antique Mexican molcajetes and metates. Just contact us to arrange your own hands-on class with a maximum of 4 students per class to insure individualized attention to each. Classes are from Monday to Friday, starting at 10:00 am. A special schedule can be arranged for private groups. A minimum number students apply for each class. We offer open custom classes for short stay students and professional intensive courses.
Huntington Beach, California
“Great experience!”
Reviewed June 28, 2012

We loved Marilau, she is such a warm and welcoming teacher... A must do in San Miguel. You can create your own menu or do a pre made menu, we made our own and all of the food was wonderful! it was a private class and she was amazing!

Visited June 2012

austin, TX
36 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 44 helpful votes
“Excellent and enjoyable cooking class”
Reviewed May 11, 2012

We were fortunate to select Marilau's cooking school for our first experience with the preparation of central Mexican cuisine. The recipes were super, and Marilau made the experience fun as well. We did the bulk of the preparation in her very comfortable kitchen. She provided many key tips on what to do and what not to do. For example never mix two fresh chili types in the same recipe. We prepared a full meal, and can't wait to try it on our friends. We will definitely go back for classes on salsas and marinades.

Visited May 2012
Westport, Connecticut
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Authentic Mexican Cooking Class”
Reviewed April 24, 2012

My husband and I were delighted to find this cooking school right in the neighborhood where we were staying. We had arranged our menu ahead of time via e-mail and got exactly what we asked for... Sopa de Tortilla, Rajas de Chile Poblano con crema and Pescado Veracruzana. Maria's English is excellent and her teaching style easy to follow and fun, we had a great time with her. She is a true professional and we learned techniques that make all the difference in achieving the true Mexican taste we sought. We ate out a lot while in San Miguel, but the food we prepared at the cooking school was by far the best.

Visited April 2012
1 Thank Mary Pat P
New York
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Great Mexican Cooking Teacher and Course”
Reviewed April 20, 2012

I took MariLau's course twice over the course of 2 years. Each time the course was extremely helpful in learning Mexican cooking techniques. The recipes are good, especially the Aztec tamal dish, but what is more important is that she teaches real Mexican cooking and the techniques used by home Mexican cooks. Invaluable lessons for those who really want to cook Mexican. MariLau is charming, patient and an excellent teacher.

Visited November 2011
Portland, Oregon
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 12 helpful votes
“Highlight of My Visit”
Reviewed April 4, 2012

I took two different classes from Maria during my five day visit to San Miguel. Both excellent. The classes are hands-on, so you learn by doing. I highly recommend the salsas (sauces) class if you haven't done a lot of Mexican cooking before. You'll get hands-on experience working with dried and fresh chiles, and you'll have a great array of sauces to work with in all of the Mexican dishes you make in the future. For the second class, Maria taught me how to make a full menu -- tortilla soup, arroz blanco a la mexicana and chile ancho relleno de frijoles (dried ancho chiles stuffed with black beans/manchego cheese and baked in tomato sauce). All delicious! The true test came when I recreated the menu at home. The meal turned out beautifully. "Gourmet Mexican food", according to my guests. Maria really knows her stuff, and is passionate about traditional, authentic Mexican cooking. She is an excellent teacher and communicates clearly. I wholeheartedly recommend her classes.

Visited September 2011