“Best breakfast in SM”
Review of Cafe Rama

Cafe Rama
Cuisines: Contemporary, International
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Breakfast, lunch and Dinner Open Tusday to Sunday from 8 am to Midnight CLOSE MONDAYS For the Moment we do not take Reservations
Mexico City, Mexico
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Best breakfast in SM”
Reviewed March 9, 2014 via mobile

Croc Monsieur is a must have, melts in your mouth. Cozy, great coffee. Service is quick and everything is extremely fresh.

1 Thank Cvarce

Albany, New York
“Best Coffee in Town”
Reviewed March 7, 2014

Loved sitting beside a real fire, cozy atmosphere with good, strong fresh brewed coffee and an excellent breakfast.

• Visited January 2014
2 Thank abstractmuse
Mexico City, Mexico
“Great food and atmosphere at Cafe Rama”
Reviewed March 6, 2014

Cafe Rama is unique. We loved the place, its paintings, charming decor which really makes you feel at home. Then comes the food!!,,, We had dinner and the next day breakfast . Everything was delicious and very well presented, from salmon to chilaquiles. Great desserts and best capuchino in town!! While you're there take a look at the "Rama". The waiters always eager to do their best . Then for us ladies there a gem of a store with awesome pieces of jewlery.
A perfect place to go with a group of friends.
A must when visiting San Miguel

• Visited February 2014
2 Thank Rosa Maria B
Morelia, Mexico
“My second time was even better. ”
Reviewed March 4, 2014 via mobile

I came back to Cafe Rama with new friends. They all loved the place. Great food, great service, good price and the decoration is awesome.

3 Thank Miltonverger
Ohio
“Mediocre at best”
Reviewed March 2, 2014 via mobile

My friend and I are both chefs with almost 50 years of experience between us. Upon entering Cafe Rama around 8pm on a Sunday night we were greeted and seated in the front room and immediately asked for a drink order. This is a pet peeve of mine. I hadn't had a chance to open the menu and honestly I don't know what I want to drink until I know what I am going to order as an entree. He ordered a margarita which was delicious since I tasted it before he got a chance to! I ended up ordering a margarita as well as Cafe Rama apparently had run out of every menu item we were interested in. So we settled for two appetizers; an eggplant with tomato sauce and the jocoque which was supposed to be gorgonzola, watermelon, jalapeño, and dried cranberries with garlic pitas. I have no idea where the other delicious sounding menu items others have waxed eloquently about...not to be found on the menu the night we were there. We were brought a plate of carrot and cucumber sticks with chile/lime/salt and fresh limes as a snack.

The eggplant rollatini was absolutely tasteless. Overcooked goat cheese filled undercooked eggplant..not sure how the kitchen created that....and ladled with an under-seasoned tomato sauce. The Jocoque, in one bite, had a bleu cheese flavor, but the primary dairy was a thick crema. Don't get me wrong, it is a light, fresh salad...just not what was ordered. The pita chips that came with it were burnt.

We did feel rushed to leave at some point. one of the waitresses did take an interest in our lack of finishing our meal. When we told her our thoughts about the meal she, too, said "I wouldn't eat these burnt chips...this isn't right". The only time our initial waitress approached our table was to ask to clear plates that were clearly not ready to be cleared.

The Jocoque was removed from our bill all due to the one waitress. I believe the manager/owner sat at a front table the entire time. He did nod to us as we left.

I'm not sure about the restaurant scene in San Miguel; but usually many restaurants are competing for tourist money. It takes rising above the norm to succeed whether it's your service and/or food that is outstanding. If our meal is any indication, I can't see Cafe Rama succeeding based on the lack of taste in their food and management's lack of customer care.

Visited March 2014
4 Thank suechef
Cheryl F, Owner at Cafe Rama, responded to this review, March 7, 2014
Of course I welcome all comments about Cafe Rama.

As you mentioned your experience in the restaurant business, I would question the harshness of your review on just 1 visit. Based on the other reviews for Cafe Rama - it could be that you were a victim of an unfortunate night at the end of an unexpectedly busy weekend - and I apologize for that. I was there the evening and acknowledged you upon leaving - you had an opportunity to speak with me about your experience…and I would have gladly done so. As a restauranteur who also dines at other places - I think it is fair to give a restaurant more than just 1 visit.