All reviewssan miguelhot waterquiet streetsmacharm
Reviewed January 3, 2013

Although it seems impossible that one could go wrong in the paradise that is San Miguel de Allende, Casa Quetzal was a charming and romantic retreat! I loved that stepping off of the cobblestone streets, we entered into an Escher-like series of patios and courtyards studding the narrow, plant-lined, open-air halls between breezy rooms. I can still taste the papaya smoothie served each breakfast atop the hotel under an umbrella and amidst colorful Talavera pottery. SMA is a perfect dreamworld, and Casa Quetzal is a lovely place to stay as you experience it. Convenient, clean, and full of SMA character!

My one tiny gripe is that the American owner was at one point quite condescending to the local concierge in front of us as guests. That made me feel an awkward stab of post-colonial shame and I can't shake that memory.

Room Tip: The pink room along the main hallway is charming!
  • Stayed: February 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank ktimene
guerras2, Manager at Casa Quetzal Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 9, 2013

We are very glad you enjoyed your stay at casa quetzal!!! thank you for your comments! we hope to see you back im our hotel real soon!

Kind regards!
General manager & staff

Reviewed November 4, 2012

This was a 20 or so room boutique hotel. My room was located at the end of a long pathway full of beautiful desert plants, and there was a nice roof top patio with a great view of the city.

How do I get one of these Mexican beds back home? It was so comfortable.

I booked very early and got a great deal with Expedia for $75 for a basic room. Staff were a lightly light on English but everything worked out well and I enjoyed this nice hotel located in the Centro of San Miguel.

Anyways, I usually stay at cheaper hotels or hostels so perhaps I was just overwhelmed by these "unusually luxurious" surrounding, but it was great by my standards.

San Miguel by the way is extremely beautiful. But it is also very popular with tourists. So there is a trade-off to consider. I came for two nights and it was enough to enjoy this magnificent town.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled solo
guerras2, Manager at Casa Quetzal Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded November 23, 2012

We are very glad you enjoyed casa quetzal thank you so much for your comments! we really look forward to seeing you soon!

Kind regards!
Casa Quetzal manager & staff.

Reviewed October 26, 2012

The location of Casa Quetzal is excellent, only a few blocksfrom the zocalo.
All the rooms are differnet with a couple nice roof top patios.
Lots of spots to get away and relax with a good book.
We had room 101 which is our front, a bit of street noise but a great room, big with a fireplace and a big bathroom.

Room Tip: The rooms to the back have less street noise with shared outdoor patio's.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
guerras2, Manager at Casa Quetzal Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded November 5, 2012

Thank you for your comments!
we are very glad you enjoyed casa quetzal, we are aware room 101 is a bit noisy but very soon we will be installing duo-vent windows to prevent that!
we are really looking forward to your next visit with us!

Kind regards

Casa Quetzal Manager & staff

Reviewed July 26, 2012

I went to San Miguel de Allende to attend a friend's party. In researching many properties it became clear that a one night stay can be very expensive. I settled on Casa Quetzal because it was reasonably priced at $110/night. It was centrally located but very average. I guess, as the expression goes, you get what you pay for.

Room Tip: Avoid the rooms in the front. They are directly on the street.
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled solo
2  Thank Scottsdalelarry
guerras2, Manager at Casa Quetzal Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 23, 2012

Thank you for your feedback!
our commitment is based on listening what our costumers need and giving it to them, we are replacing the noisy windows with Duo-Vent systems to keep all the noise away from the rooms,
we look forward to your return to our hotel.

Best Regards.

Reviewed June 12, 2012

i Traveled with the family last may we had a great experience! casa quetzal is a beautiful hotel near the city center (3 min walk) rooms are really large and nicely furnished staff is english speaking and friendly overall a great value!

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family

Hi Jane we are so happy to hear you and your family enjoyed casa quetzal! we appreciate your comments and really look forward to having you back in our hotel!

Kind Regards!