All reviewssan miguelhot waterquiet streetsmacharm
Reviewed January 16, 2011

My wife and I recently spent a week at the Casa Quetzal bed and breakfast in San Miguel de allende, Mexico. We had a great experience both in terms of accomodations and the city. Our room was great and includes a full breakfast that can be served in suite. Javier is the concierge/manager at the Casa Quetzal and he was great in every way. He and all of the staff were very helpful in making recommendations; reservations; translations; etc. The location was great, only a few blocks from the center of town. We had a lot of fun in the City and our thanks to Casa Quetzal and the entire staff.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled as a couple
CynthiaPrice, Owner at Casa Quetzal Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 18, 2011

Thank you so much for taking the time to write this review! It means the world to us and we hope to see you back in SMA soon! - best, cynthia

Reviewed January 16, 2011

We were impressed with the charm of the hotel and the friendly and helpful staff. Before we left on our trip, we were concerned about the safety of traveling in Mexico, but felt very safe and comfortable in San Miguel as well as on the ride to and from the airport. San Miguel is filled with things to do for people who like the creative arts.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled as a couple

Thanks so Much Ron for taking the time to write this review. I am so glad you had a good time here and thanks too for letting people know that San Miguel is a safe place to visit. We will hope to see you back with us soon! best, Cynthia

Reviewed November 24, 2010

The Casa Quetzal is a hotel that is resting a bit too comfortably on its laurels. The staff is attentive (help getting stuff out of a car parked two blocks away, etc) but there are too many other things amiss for a guest to be happy paying $265 per night (for the Pacifica Suite). We do not usually spend this sort of money for a hotel and this was a bit of a splurge, and the disappointment was doubly real.

On check-in we were offered the opportunity to view a number of available rooms prior to making a choice. The Pacifica suite featured a small bedroom with a loft (for reading and television) and the option of having natural light and a private space to relax outside was appealing. There is a CD/DVD player linked into a TV in the small upstairs loft. A large patio downstairs came with a Jacuzzi, a small table and two chairs. A separate upstairs terrace (accessed by a spiral staircase from the main patio) is furnished with two lounging chairs and a small table. The bathroom is a bit awkward: sink outside in the entrance to the suite, (small) shower and toilet apart. Hot water can take some time getting to the room, but it was hot when it arrived and there was lots of it.

But there are problems. At this price you expect lodging to live up to the luxury boutique hotel billing. At this, Casa Quetzal fails. It isn't that it is terrible, but at this price point the guest has a right to expect tasteful furnishings and the sort of finishes that should come with it. This is an old building, remodelled and adapted to hotel accommodations, and one expects age to show - but look at the photo attached. This isn't about age - this is about lack of maintenance and attention. Furnishings presumably are a matter of taste, but it is hard to find traces of the art that is supposedly part of the Casa Quetzal's appeal. In Mexico, with its wealth of artistic tradition - ancient, traditional and contemporary, plastic flowers and cheesy souvenirs are inexcusable. I've tried attaching other photos - positive and less so, but TA keeps kicking them out.

Rooms come with breakfast included - OK, but definitely nothing special, and canned mushrooms in an omelette in Mexico just doesn't cut it. Neither did the hot chocolate, which tasted suspiciously like it came from a box, nor the supermarket strawberry jam.

The hotel just seems to need someone to take a hard look at what needs to be done to have this place live up to its billing. The room is not all that it ought to have been (convenience, decor, maintenance). The landscaping is pretty, but why do the plants in the private patios look to be neglected and dry?

On the positive side, the location is excellent - an easy walk to the principal sights. There are lots of other hotels in San Miguel, however, and it is hard to recommend this as an option.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Chapul
CynthiaPrice, Owner at Casa Quetzal Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded December 9, 2010

Because this review covers so much territory and begs for a through response, I feel the need to go down through it and respond to almost every statement.
1. The reviewer has suggested that we are not continuing in our commitment to the highest quality in service and maintenance of our hotel. As a hotel that was once among the most expensive in San Miguel and is now pretty much square in the middle of the price range, (without one price increase in the past 5 years), as a hotel that has survived the opening of many new hotels in the past 2 years, and even the past few months, the VERY LAST thing we are doing is resting on our laurels. In this economy and with the often inaccurate negative press that Mexico is enduring, we at Casa Quetzal have striven to make the experience of our small Boutique B and B even more value added .
2. If these clients were given the option of a number of rooms, why did they choose one that is outside of their normal price range yet not of a décor they appreciate? Of our ten rooms, surely they could have found one among our more Mexican inspired designs, and with our prices beginning at $125 USD, surely their budget needs could have been met as well.
3. The client feels the $265.00 price tag for the Pacifica Suite was too much for what it is. This suite happens to be one of our most requested. With a very private patio large enough to include a Jacuzzi, dining and sitting area, with another private sun terrace, on the 2nd floor, and with an interior space that allows for a choice of places to be – with all of that as well as the usual amenities of our hotel - breakfast en suite and free laundry services, free wi-fi, a computer for our guests to use, free bottled water and generally, much more that is gratis than your average B and B or small hotel - one would be hard pressed to find such a suite anywhere in San Miguel for that price. (I did a quick look around and could find nothing even close to comparable anywhere near the main square in the Historical Center.)
4. As to the taste of this room – the opinions stated in this review strike me as simply inaccurate. Take a look at the pictures I have posted of the exquisite bed in this room and the general décor. The room is unashamedly influenced by the Pacific Rim (ergo, the name), something our Mexican guests enjoy – a change from the typical Mexican décor - as clearly stated in the descriptions of it on our web page. Since this client had the chance to see it before committing, I am again confounded that they would then complain about their choice. And there are no plastic flowers in Pacifica, or any other suite in the hotel. What is there, is a surround of paper flowers tucked up into the bowl of a light fixture in the kitchen area, meant to be fun and whimsical. (If you can’t enjoy a little break in what is otherwise a sophisticated décor, then you won't appreciate Mexico, where high Kitsch is an art form in its own right.) I do not, I repeat, do not put plastic flowers around the hotel where live, fresh, and exotic flowers can be found.
5. Yes, the main building of Casa Quetzal is indeed an old Colonial building and ALL buildings in San Miguel – new or old - have damp areas on walls caused by the humidity of the rainy season at this time of year. The rainy season does not really end until late September and this guest was with us in October, indicating only that we had not yet gotten to all the repairs the rainy season demands, as opposed to a factual overall indictment of our maintenance of the hotel. The maintenance of a place such as this is indeed daunting at times and we work literally day and night to keep the gardens and buildings looking there best. (My attention to such details is, in fact, an in-joke between me and my staff since I notice is every brown leaf, every ding in a wall, every crooked light and painting – so, if anything, I am over demanding about attention to all these details.)
6. The one area of this review where I would find some agreement is with the use of canned mushrooms in our omelets. Not my favorite thing either, though no one has ever complained before. With this review I have decided to cut the mushrooms from the menu rather than continue their use or even replace them with fresh mushrooms which have such a short shelf life. (By the way, our chocolate Abuelita is made in the traditional Mexican way, from scratch, and is delicious enough that I have to avoid it.) And supermarket strawberry jam? Other than making my own, I have never found much difference between available strawberry jams which leads me to the conclusion that this reviewer was really getting carried away with finding things to criticize.
7. The moniker of Luxury Boutique Hotel may not be what best describes Casa Quetzal, and is not the description I use. We are a hybrid – not really only a bed and breakfast, and not really a full service hotel. We are a small and intimate hotel, dedicated to making our guests feel special, known and well cared for in an environment that is friendly and attentive without ever being over bearing. We pride ourselves on the qualities that make us unique – a sense of warmth in our welcome and ongoing demeanor, while still offering privacy and discretion in all aspects of our service and accommodations.
Since I cannot find this person in my data base, given the information that is provided accompanying this and the other reviews posted by same, I (nor any of my staff) are at all certain as to who this person is. Were I able to contact this person directly, I would do so, as I do when there is the very infrequent problem, offering my personal apologies for the disappointment along with whatever amends might be appropriate.
In general, we do absolutely everything we can to insure a guest´s satisfaction (even going beyond the call of duty to go 2 blocks away to bring their luggage to us, as this person reported), and as the managing owner of Casa Quetzal, I wish more guests would air their problems/dissatisfactions with us when on site so that we can actually do something about it when we still have the chance to improve their experience.

Reviewed November 9, 2010

Just delightful! Small, intimate hotel, lovely helpfulstaff and a truly beautiful place. Only minor comment is that lightling was a bit dim in the rooms - could use some more lamps.

• Stayed: October 2010
CynthiaPrice, Owner at Casa Quetzal Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded November 13, 2010

Thank you so much for this review! And also for the comment about the lights. . .this is an on-going project of ours - to improve the lighting in the rooms for those who like to read in bed. Your review will put some energy into that project. !! Again, many thanks for helping us make our hotel ever better for our guests.

Reviewed September 23, 2010

My husband and I spent a night at Casa Quetzal a few days before our wedding (otherwise we were staying with friends outside of town). It was exactly what we needed. We stayed in the sweet with the private outdoor hot tub. My husband (the great guy that he is) ordered the "romance package" so we had rose petals, candles and champagne waiting for us when we returned from dinner. What a treat! The staff was extremely courteous and helpful. In the morning we had fabulous chilaquiles on the terrace. What a way to spend a great time with my fiance amidst all the wedding craziness. We will definitely return to Casa Quetzal next time we're in San Miguel de Allende.

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled as a couple