“Spanish Immersion with Quality Teachers”

Academia Hispano Americana
More attraction details
Owner description: Established in 1959, we are proud to be the first Spanish Language school in San Miguel de Allende to specialize in teaching Spanish as a second language.
San Francisco, California
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“Spanish Immersion with Quality Teachers”
Reviewed July 17, 2012

This was my fourth time studying Spanish at La Academia. It is located in the center of town, just a short walk from El Jardín. The premises are lovely and tranquil. The teachers are professional and native speakers, which is highly important to me. In the past I've taken small group classes in the mornings. This time I took 3-hour private classes, one-on-one working on conversation and my own personal grammar needs. Javier and Lupita were perfect for my needs, and of course I look forward to my 5th visit.

Visited July 2012
3 Thank pjasso

San Miguel de Allende, Guanajuato, Mexico
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“Best Spanish School in San Miguel”
Reviewed July 4, 2012

I moved to San Miguel de Allende last December and beyond "buenos dias", I was helpless in Spanish. I chose to study at AHA because I felt that they were the most "serious" of all of the schools I researched. I was not disappointed-I liked it so much I went back for a second term and I'd like to do more when I can get the time. AHA's total immersion program is academic and very efficient. Small classes offer much individual attention and the diversity of students always makes for fun and interesting conversation classes! In the afternoons AHA offers lectures on the history of Mexico and on other topics of Mexican culture- as a beginner, I was doubtful that I would benefit much from this but I was mistaken- the lecturer was animated and humorous and communicated so clearly that even as a level one, I felt that these were some of the most helpful classes for me for my transition into my new Mexican home.All of the teachers at AHA are wonderful, smart, engaging people- The school itself is a voyage back into the history of Mexico- a beautiful 18th century Inn,the small classrooms surrounding a lovely courtyard- .

Visited January 2012
2 Thank Ann O
New York City, New York
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“Well Organized School with Excellent Instructors”
Reviewed June 30, 2012

My brother and I have attended three language schools in SMA. AHA is by far the best.
The methodology is superb and is probably the reason that AHA has been so successful for more than 50 years. Although all instruction is in Spanish, the instructors have great patience and empathy when presenting/explaining a new concept. None of the three instructors I had moved forward until everyone in class clearly understood the lesson's aim. The workbooks were new and helpful, but the teachers really carried the instruction--very professional.
The administration was well organized and helpful--just don't let the director, Paulina Hawkins, catch you speaking any other language but Spanish : )
Thanks AHA,
John B. Brooklyn, NY

Visited June 2012
2 Thank JBBotti
Northern California
163 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 171 helpful votes
“The Best Language School in San Miguel”
Reviewed June 14, 2012

I've attended this school five times and consider it the best language school in the city. The teachers are dedicated and excellent and the location is beautiful: in an old "meson" (inn) on Calle Mesones.

Visited May 2012
4 Thank Chelsea42
San Miguel de Allende, Mexico
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 10 helpful votes
“Not Well Organized”
Reviewed April 10, 2012

After coming from Warren Hardy School I found lots I didn't like about the Academia. Class rooms were dark with poor lighting. Text books looked like they were copied form a bad high school text. Never explained what we were going to learn, just dived right in. No English allowed which for the most part is a good idea but one or two words of English hear and there could of saved us 5 minutes of explanation in Spanish that still left me unsure after. Though the classes were not to large a lot of time spent listening to other students speaking bad Spanish (like working one on one with a partner better at WH). I did like the idea of having to take a test though, I learned a lot studying for it. Unfortunately San Miguel does not have many good options for intermediate/advanced Spanish.

Visited May 2011