“My teen liked it so much that two of his friends enrolled”

Academia Hispano Americana
More attraction details
Owner description: Established in 1959, we are proud to be the first Spanish Language school in San Miguel de Allende to specialize in teaching Spanish as a second language.
Reviewed January 5, 2012

I agree with the other reviews - a good program, good teachers, academic and rigorous. I wanted to add that 1.5 years ago - summer of 2010 - my then-16 year old attended for six weeks. He enjoyed the classes and went for the optional afternoon sessions of his own free will. It really improved his ability to speak Spanish. As you probably know, studying it in school in the US the kids just don't speak enough.
I knew it was a home run when two of his buddies - a 14 and a 15 year old - started to attend classes there, too. They weren't in the same level, so it wasn't so they could goof off during class. They enjoyed learning, although they did play cards during breaks with each other!

2  Thank queenoid

Reviewed December 16, 2011

When I first arrived in Mexico, I only knew the basics of Spanish. Both my parents are fluent, and now 3 months into the program I only speak to them in Spanish! This is a great program that offers intensive courses for grammar, practicing conversations, and even courses about the History and Culture of Mexico. The faculty at the academy is fantastic as well. I arrived a couple days late into the program and missed the orientation. The director spent an hour talking to me about how the program works, and helping me address exactly what I wanted to gain from it. Another example is when I was in level 4. I told the teacher that I was having trouble with the written assignments, so she promptly checked out a book for me and started to give me extra written assignments to address this issue. 2 weeks later, I’m able to read Newspaper articles without a dictionary! Overall this is a great program and I would recommend it to anyone.

4  Thank Jesse R
Reviewed October 28, 2011

I attended a study abroad program with Mount Hood Community College at AHA and I can tell you it was an amazing adventure! I was struggling with college spanish classes here and once I was emersed in the program I started to finally catch on. I had an amazing time and loved the teachers and our host families. I would most definately recommend AHA to anyone who wants to learn spanish, even if you think you cannot learn you will here.....

3  Thank bartlettmom40
Reviewed September 11, 2011

I can heartily recommend this language school in San Miguel. There are gifted faculty and a rigorous program of grammar, reading, writing and conversation... in addition to classes in literature, history and sociology for upper levels. We had absolute beginners and professional US Spanish teachers among our student body, and high school/college age students plus retired Americans and Canadians. The setting is a beautiful historic building with a sunny, flower filled courtyard where students spill out together on breaks to check email from home and drink superb coffee. Once I had spent most of the summer in San Miguel, I was able to confirm that the Academia has the reputation as the top Spanish school in town and the one which attracts the most serious students. And San Miguel is beautiful, charming and safe, safe, safe... very far from the notorious goings on at the US/Mexico border. The town is full of families and children celebrating their wonderful culture and enjoying life to its fullest.

3  Thank ivorytickler
Reviewed August 9, 2011

I have just finished a one-month semi-intensive course at AHA and can highly recommend it for the serious student. A word of caution, however - if you are just wanting to learn how to say "please, thank you" and "check, please" and then head to El Mercado, this is not the school for you. It is highly academic and, to reap the most benefit from the courses taught (beginner through advanced Spanish), one should plan on spending some significant time each day doing their homework and preparing for the next day's class. All classes are taught in Spanish only with Spanish-only texts. The use of English during class is discouraged which might be somewhat daunting for the person with absolutely not an iota of Spanish knowledge prior to entering the program. Nevertheless, with perseverance, one with even a very limited knowledge of the language can make significant gains even in one month's period of time. The entire staff is both welcoming and supportive. My teacher from Spain was excellent, patient, and full of enthusiasm, and I could not have asked for a better learning environment. In addition to the coursework, AHA offers optional day trips to neighboring towns on the weekends. These tours, led by bilingual guides, are well worth the price and provide an excellent opportunity to not only further practice one's Spanish but also to learn more of the culture and history of this most beautiful and interesting area. . As an aside, I found San Miguel de Allende to be a delightful and SAFE place to visit in spite of the many horror stories we hear about Mexico today. Unless you are part of a drug cartel, the chances are extremely high that you will not need to worry about your safety while visiting (and, if you are part of a drug cartel, you probably would not be in SMA in the first place!).

4  Thank mlynnslp