I just returned from San Miguel where I visited with a group of 20 people. There are two stories here -- first how much we loved the hotel and the town, and second how amazing the hotel handled the swine flu situation.
First of all, everyone in our group (some of whom can be picky!) absolutely loved the hotel. To start, everyone you meet who works there -- reception, restaurant, spa, cooking school team, maintenance -- could not possibly be more helpful, solicitous, gracious or genuine. They love what they do and it shows, and their pride in their hometown is very evident. The hotel's rooms are all different, but universally interesting and fun. The level of cleanliness, efficiency of housekeeping and condition of the property is excellent and impressed even our most extreme 'clean-freaks'. The hotel is like a secret paradise hidden inside colonial period historic houses. Beyond the facility, the location is perfect about 3 blocks from the main plaza. The hotel was incredible at arranging activities for our group -- we LOVED the house tour and the spa. Food was very good -- the pancakes at breakfast are the best ever and we never tasted fresher guacamole. Crepes Suzette at Parque were a real treat! We also loved hanging out by the pool. You'll feel pampered here. OK -- simply stated, it was great -- people, place, town, etc.
So, we arrive on Sunday amid so concern about Swine Flu and it just gets worse. So we decided on Tuesday morning to leave earlier than planned -- on Wednesday morning. How did the hotel react? They said, 'How can we make your last day amazing?' And they did -- we had a wonderful party, mariachis at dinner, and on and on. They did the right thing in every regard without us even asking. Laura Chavez handled our group. She is relatively new there, but you wouldn't know that. Laura is a special person who made us feel at home. She kept us informed with all developments regarding the flu situation (no cases in San Miguel while we were there), assured us that medical assistance was available thru the hotel, communicated regularly with openness and honesty, and made us feel comfortable. When we decided to leave early, she helped make all of the arrangements quickly and efficiently. When Laura needed help, the rest of the team joined in. Laura also tried to teach us to dance to the mariachis. They are amazing. While the general manager Marc Rodriquez was out of town, he personally called us to make sure everything was being done to our satisfaction. He must be pretty good looking at his team.
So, i don't mean to sound like the marketing department, but it's one thing to see how a place does in normal times. In difficult times, the true colors show, and in this difficult time, the team at Casa de Sierra Nevada showed what an amazing place this is. We felt special and inspired by all of them, especially given all of the concerns that they must have been facing with this flu situation affecting their country and families. We pray for their safety.
Our group visits a different place every year. For the first time, our group wants to return here. We felt sad that our trip was cut short and we missed out on some of the amazing thinks in San Miguel. We had to cancel the cooking school, some tours and more... But, we'll be back! A truly special place.
If you have any questions about this hotel, we would love to tell you how great they are. The hotel can put you in touch with us as a reference.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- A heritage hotel in the Mexican heartlands, Belmond Casa de Sierra Nevada evokes the charm of a bygone era. San Miguel is an adventure for the senses. Yet at the very center of this vibrant city lies a safe haven that’s at once connected to the locale and is its own private sanctuary. Swing open our ancient, wooden front doors and the fiesta outside gives way to a siesta-like calm. Water fountains and blooming flowerpots dot the cluster of heritage mansions that make up the hotel. A large pool, fringed with lush foliage and plants, provides the perfect place to cool off. 17th- and 18th-century buildings reveal inner courtyards, terraces and gardens. Here, history is woven into every stucco wall, tiled bath and curved ceiling, all balanced with modern luxuries. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Priceline, Hotwire, Orbitz, Travelocity, Hotels.com, HotelQuickly, TripOnline SA and Cancelon so you can book your Belmond Casa de Sierra Nevada reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Casa De Sierra Nevada By Orient-Express Hotel San Miguel De Allende
- Hotel Casa De Sierra Nevada