“Study Spanish or art here!”
Review of Instituto Allende

Instituto Allende
More attraction details
Owner description: This famous school offers arts, writing and language classes.
Reviewed September 9, 2013

There are Spanish classes from beginner level to advanced and also sculpture, painting, sketching, and even jewelry making!
Whether you study or not, visit and see the activities.

6  Thank NormaBeth
in 4 reviews
"allende"
in 19 reviews

Reviewed September 4, 2013

i took the plunge last year and now have spent 6 months off and on in San Miguel in homestays. I enjoyed my visits to the Insttuto very much, and there are some excellent courses there. I can't vouch for Spanish classes there, however there are many other sources for Spanish in town, including individual tutors who are fantastic! However, other students have said to me, and I firmly agree, that we all have learned even more Spanish outside of the classroom. The family of Candida and Jose on Calzada de la Luz (about a 15 min. walkblocks from the Instituto) is a treasure! Everyone there is warm and wonderful. The meals are delicious. The rooms are simple but very well cleaned every day. Candida's only job is to take care of the home and you, and she loves people and is very patient. Don't be fooled by the street, which is noisy or the front door, which is ordinary. The rooms and the house are located a long distance away from the street, and noise never bothered me. If you walk inside and talk to them, I hope you find, like I did, that you are meeting two of the warmest kindest people in the world. They will speak as much Spanish to you as you want. The TV is never on during meals (IMPORTANT). They sit with you throughout the meal and talk (IMPORTANT). Candida is very flexible and will try to adapt her cooking to whatever you desire and will offer meals at whatever time you want. Wifi is outstanding. They have made all the difference in the world to me, and I wish you the same experience. Their number is 415 154 9705, or contact their son Luis through email at arq__e__ing@hotmail.com (each is 2 underscores). What are you waiting for? The other student who is here was comparing notes with me last night, and we both agreed that this home is our home away from home, 1000% better than some other homestays we have had, in Mexico and two other countries. Feel free to contact me offline if you wish.

4  Thank PA610
Reviewed May 28, 2013

The Instituto Allende was the catalyst for the influx of Americans to this city. Now there are over 10,000 U.S. citizens in residence. The Instituto Allende with its numerous classes and galleries will give students an education in plastic arts along with Mexican culture.

2  Thank DixieLB
Reviewed May 27, 2013

What a dream place to have a wedding. This must be one of the best places in Mexico. The magnificent courtyard is a arquitecture jewel.

See more reviews
Reviewed May 11, 2013

Three hours a day Monday through Friday I take intensive spanish lessons from an excellent instructor at el Instituto Allende. My class could have accommodated 8 students, but as luck would have it there are just two of us. I am mid-way through my program and my spanish has improved dramatically. Many foreigners come to San Miguel de Allende to live full-time and attempt all sorts of methods to learn spanish. I realized, that while incredibly affordable, sitting with a spanish language teacher once a week for an hour was not advancing my language skill at all. So I opted for the immersion program and while it is not easy, nor should it be, it is very, very effective. In short, I have nothing but praise for this institution. It's a bonus that class is located in a beautiful building with a much reviewed little restaurant! Instituto Allende is located on Ancha de San Antonio #22 in San Miguel de Allende, Guanajuato, Mexico.

8  Thank Shelley939