“Terrible teaching.”
Review of Instituto Allende

Instituto Allende
More attraction details
Owner description: This famous school offers arts, writing and language classes.
Reviewed February 22, 2008

This place is about as unprofessional as it gets.Indifferent if not outright appalling "teaching",clueless and indolent intructors, and a cast of cash cows who come to learn art and leave with less than they came with. The so-called travel help is non-existent, and the students learn more from each other than from the instructor( who rarely leaves her desk).If you want to see some of San Miguel, then fine.if it's art instruction you want , save your money!

8  Thank acrtfepol

Reviewed May 17, 2007

I arrived into San Miguel de Allende with the brightest and most postitive intentions of learinging more Spanish and starting work on my MFA. I was satified with the language program but the MFA program was horrid. The program was not much more equivilant to an elementry program for the arts in the states. The facilities were abhorrent, accest the facilities were non existant: no after hours, one is only allowed to work in the studios when teachers were in class. Unfortunately, the teachers were commonly 30+ mins late and offered little or no deeper insight to students work or progress. The undergrads (all enrolled were Mexican) were distant to students enrolled in the masters program therefore not allowing for much sharing of cultural insites to art making form either end of the specturm (most of the master students were from the states or Canada). The president of Instituto Allende was very unflexable to work with student's enrollment that were non traditional and wanted to complete independant study work outside of school or wanted to enroll later than the regular starting dates of classes and carry over the work to finish in an independant way/style until the course work/time equivilant was completed. Very unflexable. The school is trapped in the dark ages for it students. Art history courses that were offered and required written research course work for papers did
not even have adiquate computer sevices to do research, write or get into the library due to short or conflicting hours with classes and a severe shortage of student acessable computers. Save yourself the hassels,money and worrries!

15  Thank jburnite
Reviewed October 30, 2006

My Husband and I attended the Instituto for the month of April, 2006. We enrolled in the Semi-intensive Spanish Class, entry level, having no background in Spanish at all.
Our experience could not have been better.
Our teacher, Elvira was a seasoned, patient, literate woman who gave us a good basic course in the language. Her classes were interesting, well run, always on time. I cannot praise her enough.
The Instituto itself was clean, the classrooms a bit Spartan but the overall experience was wonderful.
I do not hesitate to recommend the Instituto to anyone wanting to spend some quality time learning a new language on vacation.
Helen,PEI, Canada

8  Thank PEIVisitor
Reviewed July 6, 2006

I was a student at the Instituto Allende in March 2000, but not an art student. I was there for a month to study Spanish (6 hrs. per day). I thought the program & teachers were great. I learned more Spanish in on month, especially conversation than I did in 2 yrs. at my local community college & I felt the tuition was very reasonable.

The Instituto also offered short excursions to other nearby places as well as overnight trips to other cities. Everyone I met on those trips seemed vary happy & had few complaints.

My conclusion is that if you're serious about getting an MFA, go to a "real" art school, but if you just want some "fun in the sun," go there to study Spanish, not art.

4  Thank sherrychicago
Reviewed June 27, 2006

Wow, pretty negative. I don't disagree...but
Have you any personal or financial connections with Bellas Artes?
M (SMdA, Gto.)