“Great lunch find”

Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Great lunch find”
Reviewed August 9, 2012

Centrally located across from the Parroquia this unassuming restaurant remains popular with the ex-pat and local crowd alike. Easy to miss, take stairs to charming rooftop for enchilladas or their lip smacking pozoli (stew).

Visited August 2012

Waukegan, Illinois
“Hiden treasure”
Reviewed August 8, 2012

Hard to find, but once you get there you'll be glad you did. make sure you sit close to the balcony edge for great views.

Food was classic Mexican specialties. I had the chicken with mole. Fantastic. My wife had the pork, she really liked that too.

Visited July 2012
Boulder, CO
“A lovely evening ...”
Reviewed July 12, 2012

We had dinner here with some friends on their last night in San Miguel. The roof deck is lovely on a nice night with a fantastic view of the Parroquia. And the green posole was delicious!

• Visited July 2012
“The goods were very good, but the not-so-goods were...”
Reviewed June 30, 2012

I'll admit that I went here because of its ranking on Trip Advisor. It seems strange to write this, but none of the Mexican food in San Miguel de Allende is that consistently good. I suppose it tries to cater to its large ex-pat population and forgets about being true to itself. First off, the place is perfect for scenic dining - the rooftop at dusk is beautiful; the service is quick at the outset, but slows down to a crawl throughout the meal which makes having a something nice to look out at a nice way to pass the time. I started out with pozole verde; it was a nice change to eat a version of pozole that wasn't the standard red in this part of Mexico. It was delicious - I should have ordered a large bowl and made it my meal. This version uses chicken, not pork, as its protein which works just fine. A condiment tray is brought out with your order so that you can put the toppings on to your liking: diced serrano; red onion, avocado, lime, crushed oregano, chicharrón, and tortillas - just delicious. I ordered a small bowl as an appetizer and had the cochinita pibil for my entree. This course wasn't as successful. Now I would never expect a restaurant to keep a suckling pig roasted in the ground on hand for an occasional order, but this version had none of the acid to offset the heat of the pork. Four orange slices as garnish suggested there was citrus somewhere present, but all I could taste was the heat from the chile. I also think the usual presentation of it being served on a banana leaf would have helped not only for presentation's sake, but to help keep the sauce from running all over the place. The annatto used in the marinade turns everything orange and you don't want that on your clothes! I only had sparkling water as this was election weekend and no alcohol is allowed to be sold until Monday morning. I decided to finish with cafe de olla, Mexican coffee with cinnamon, instead of desert, and like my appetizer, it was delicious. Again, service was very, very slow after my initial seating so I asked for my check when the coffee was put down. All in all, I'd love to repeat the beginning and ending of my meal and skip the middle. Cost of my meal was $20.00; I can find no complaints there. I might go back, if just for the pozole.

• Visited June 2012
1 Thank washwestcc
Timbuktu, Mali
“Best Guacamole and Margaritas”
Reviewed June 20, 2012

We ate here three evenings on a ten day visit. Best guacamole and margaritas I've ever had anywhere. Service is outstanding and everything on the menu is delicious. Beautiful rooftop views of the cathedral and countryside.

• Visited June 2012