“Indian Spa in Mexican mountains”
Review of Shanti San Miguel

Shanti San Miguel
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Escape into tranquility. Swim, take a yoga class, have a massage, relax by the pool with a book and some of our healthy organic food...and now, you can stay overnight.
Reviewed November 28, 2011

This place is a little off the beaten path (about $20-25US round trip by cab from SM de Allende), which was nice. We were met at the door by the owner, with some very nice, fresh churros. The people were very hospitible and the scene was lovely. The indian food was surprisingly spot on and the michelada was good too.
Be careful, if you start some conversations with the owner, you won't be able to get away from talking with her the whole time. She is very nice, but just doesnt get the hint that you are there to relax.
Overall, lovely experience.

Reviewed August 3, 2011

I had the good fortune to spend a day at Shanti last week. I was met at the door by the owner, Brett, who gave me a tour of the facility and explained the amenities available. She made me feel at home and I am always impressed when the owner is actively involved in the day to day operation. I swam in the beautiful solar heated saltwater pool, availed myself of a massage and enjoyed a delicious Indian lunch. The staff was friendly and attentive without being obtrusive.

All in all, it was a marvelous escape from the density of San Miguel and I will return to Shanti each and every time I am in San Miguel.

I took a taxi but Brett explained to me that they have a shuttle service available and I will use it on my next visit.

3  Thank Glorenzo3
Reviewed July 31, 2011

We spent the entire day at Shanti San Miguel, swimming in the warm pool, reading in the very comfortable deck chairs, and enjoying the great menu offerings. Every detail of Shanti has been considered and is of the highest quality, from the luxurious Turkish towels to the Japanese teapots. Of course, it's fun to spend a day at La Gruta or Escondido, but this is a much more luxurious experience for not much more money. Brett, the designer and owner, and her staff are extremely attentive. There is a reading room with a nice selection of books, delicious popcorn cooked the old-fashioned way on the stovetop, and next time, I plan to schedule a massage on one of the antique Indian massage tables. The menu offers a nice mix of American and Indian dishes, and is very reasonably priced. The chai tea is delicious. Transportation to and from Shanti was easy and included in the price of the day pass. We plan to return to Shanti soon and highly recommend it to anyone as a relaxing, aesthetic experience of the highest order.

2  Thank HeatherChase
Reviewed July 29, 2011

Planned a day at shanti with a friend on a visit to San Miguel. We were picked up by the friendly driver and taken to a location in the middle of what seemed like nowhere. We loved the facility and the salt water pool. We both had massages and the masseuse was wonderful. My friend did yoga with the owner but was not all that thrilled by the quality. I found the owner's propensity for plopping herself down to chat or just sit there distracting and invasive. Also, later in the afternoon some families with kids arrived. This is fine, I have kids but I'm not sure that their presence playing in the pool contributes to a serene peaceful environment. Didn't eat there so can't comment.

4  Thank tohhall
Reviewed July 17, 2011

Shanti's remarkable owner, Brett, greeted us with warm nut bread and a full explanation of the facilities and services available to us. The open space and large turquoise tiled pool were so inviting. Towels were brought out, large umbrellas opened, refreshments offered, and the pampering continued throughout the day. A variety of massages are offered and my friend said hers was the best massage she had ever had. Manicures and pedicures are available. I chose to swim, lounge, read and have very interesting conversations with Brett and the other visitors. Brett is a former Chicago restraunteur and that, combined with her love of India, bring the level of her food to an unexpected high for a small spa. The Indian cuisine is fragrant and multi-layered with warm spices while the omelets and sandwiches are enormous, interesting and brilliantly prepared. At the end of the day we were allowed to pay by paypal and avoid all foreign exchange charges! Then the free shuttle that had picked us up that morning returned us to the Shopping center where we could grab a few things before returning home. Absolutely the finest spa day I have ever had.

2  Thank never2old2try