“Just the right balance of luxe and relax” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Rosewood San Miguel de Allende

Rosewood San Miguel de Allende
Los Angeles
“Just the right balance of luxe and relax”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 24, 2014 via mobile

We booked a deluxe room for a weekend stay from May 1st to May 5th. As we normally do, our first request is for a complimentary or low cost upgrade. While we were rejected a free upgrade we were offer a pricey upgrade to a higher level suite. We declined and were comfortable with the decision as out room was really quite nice.

The room was as billed. Spacious, well laid out with all of the amenities you'd want. The bed was just the right balance of firmness. I'm picky about cleanliness and to this end I was very happy. A nice clean room, free of dust and a bathroom that was, well clean. Shampoo, body wash, etc were above average but not top drawer. The private patio was surprisingly private given that we were ground level and faced the pool at an angle.

The restaurants were excellent. The main dining room offers a fair valued continental breakfast. The highlight is the roof top restaurant. We had afternoon drinks each night with breathtaking views of San Miguel and a beautiful sunset.

The pool was slightly disappointing. Kids and adults all mixed in one large pool. I like kids, but when away for a couple weekend , I prefer peace and quiet while taking in the sun. There is a kids area pool but really not inviting for kids, can't blame them.

The service was excellent. Two highlights, first is we left our in room safe open with our US passports and most of our spending cash along with jewelry exposed to the turn down service. All was left untouched. Not a peso was missing. Bravo for integrity. The other is my wife has started collecting do not disturb items that are unique. The Rosewood uses a charming angel for their DND. I mentioned this in passing and 30 minutes later a gift box was brought up to the roof and given to my wife.

Final analysis, the hotel hit the right balance. It's not the most posh or sophisticated hotel, but such a property would not fit in to the locality. Rather, Rosewood offered an excellent product with quality and service. I recommend this to all visitors of San Miguel.

Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
5 Thank Harry G

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (111)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Austin, TX
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 24, 2014

We've been loyal guests of Rosewood Mayakoba for several years and never thought we would find another hotel that could match Mayakoba. However, we recently visited Rosewood in San Miguel and I believe Mayakoba has met it's match.

Everything about our stay was perfect. The location, food, service, spa, rooms, landscape, decor, etc. were over the top.

Some highlights: drinks on the rooftop at sunset while munching on octopus and patatas bravas. Sitting in the patio eating sushi. Hanging by the fireplace in the Tequila bar on a cool night. Having breakfast in the courtyard. Smelling the lavender on the walk to the pool.

I'm excited that we now have our perfect city hotel (Rosewood San Miguel) and perfect beach hotel (Rosewood Mayakoba).

We'll be back to this hotel soon and often.

Room Tip: I doubt there's a bad room at this place but if you can get a room with a view
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank WesbecherY
maine
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 15, 2014

I can't believe I haven't reviewed the Rosewood in San Miguel de Allende. I thought I had.
My daughter and I spent five days there in February. We loved it. The staff are friendly and so helpful. Our room was very nice with an incredible view, the bathroom was spectacular. The pool area is a pretty place to hang out on a hot day. We ate at the roof top Tapas bar and it was really good food ,and again, a beautiful view of San Miguel.
There is not one negative thing to say about the Rosewood, it is perfect.
We thank you all at the Rosewood for a lovely visit.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
Austin, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 14, 2014 via mobile

This hotel is everything you'd expect from a true five star hotel. We stayed in room 302. The views are amazing. The king size bed is comfortable and the pillows are perfect. Every amenity is as you would expect.

The Nespresso machine in the room was a nice touch. Our coffee pods were refilled daily.

The main square is an eight minute walk. The hotel had a taxi there for us in five minutes or less when needed.

The rooftop tapas bar has food as good as the view and the view is spectacular. The spa is one of the best I've been to.

Tips to the support staff, including the maids, are added to your bill as a 10% service charge. Internet was included in the room rate and was ample with 3mbps down and 1.5 up.

The breakfast buffet was included in our package. The food is very good and they make an accurate espresso.

Taxis here, as in much of Mexico, are a little older and lack seat belts much of the time. I recommend hiring a private car to get to and from the airport. It's about a 90 minute drive no matter which airport you choose.

Cellphone service was good nearly everywhere except driving from the Leon airport. I now use KnowRoaming these days but the provider was Movistar and I had 4G LTE much of the time.

There is good free WiFi at the Starbucks on the main square.

We moved to the Rosewood from a private house we had rented that did not have AC. I was told that most of the rental houses lack air conditioning and it was over 80 degrees in May. So keep that in mind if you are considering a house vs a hotel.

Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
4 Thank rcullet
MEX
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 25, 2014

This time I had the opportunity to visit this facility with my family. Overall it was a great experience, great service of the staff at all the time and a lot of activities to do with the kids.
I recomend the hotel's bar called Luna, which has an amazing view of all San Miguel Allende with the right atmosphere.
Looking forward to return at any time.

Room Tip: ask for the junior suites. great option for families up to 4
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Manhattan Beach, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 23, 2014

Rooftop bar at the Rosewood is a must. Beautiful view at sunset. Great drinks (although you'll pay) and very tasty tapas plates. Sometimes we prefer to eat a lite dinner and this was excellent and special. Best to make a reservation.

Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank nancyraiche
United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 14, 2014

This is a beautiful hotel, very well laid out with just about all of the amenities one would expect from a first class hotel. Relative to other options in the area, it is very new, and therefore provides all the modern conveniences one hopes to have when visiting a foreign country. It happens to be in a great location and while I am sure that there are smaller, charming and accommodating hotels in SMA, for a hotel this size, I was surprised at how intimate the service was. I had a great room with a private terrace and all of the public spaces, both inside and outside the building, were very attractive and welcoming. In fact, whoever designed the hotel stayed true to the colonial architecture and feel of the place, without crossing the line into a caricature of what a hotel in Mexico should look like. The pool area was surprisingly beautiful and inviting and I would probably make more use of it the next time that I am there. Anyone considering the hotel will have seen pictures of its rooftop bar. As pretty as those pictures are, nothing beats the real thing. Just outstanding--and the drinks and tapas on offer are great. The one thing the hotel lacked? A proper gift shop. If I wanted a magazine or newspaper, or a snack item or drink, or a gift item to take back with me (even something as basic as an item with Rosewood San Miguel printed on it), there was nothing on offer. Given the size of the hotel and all of its wonderful amenities, this did come as a surprise.

Room Tip: I understand the weather in SMA to be very nice year around, so for that reason, I might want to spe...
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled solo