“The Magic of Mexico at Antigua Capilla in San Miguel...what a feeling!!!”

Antigua Capilla Bed and Breakfast
Reviewed July 10, 2009

My first girl friend from 30 years ago and I got together again 2 months ago, She, living in Mexico City, and I, living in San Diego CA, we decided to take a romantic trip to San Miguel de Allende to re-enconter, I was the one in charged of getting a hotel, I wanted the perfect atomospher...I got it with Antigua Capilla.

To start the reservation was super easy online, with in 1 day Antonieta and Francisco replyed to me that everything was ready, I felt like I've chosen the right one. The communication was super, they even offered to wait for us at the entrance of town to guide us in since we drove from Mexico City, no need because is super easy to get there. The hotel is located only 10 minutes walk up town from the main plaza, that gives the hotel tranquility and also gives you a chance of walking the streets and little "callejones" going down to the plaza. Since the hotel is up town the view is spectacular. Every morning we woke up to see the air ballons
passing by at 7-8am from the terrace where you can see the whole town, and after that breakfast at 9am. I can still smell the coffee and the buildings bricks from next door.

We got Mata Ortiz Room...It was the perfect atmospher that I was looking for, great taste on the room design, well, all the hotel great design taste, the bathroom incredible, the pictures online where nothing for what really is....Antonieta and the staff made our re-enconter super special and unforgettable. Antonieta and Francisco, we will come back to your hotel, we will go back to San Miguel de Allende, and the next time we probably get married at San Miguel de Allende....well, that if Estela excepts my love for ever. Thank you Guys.
P.S. the food at the hotel....mmmm, yumi !!!! and Antonieta, thanks for the recommendation of that great restaurant (the restaurant) super nice and delicious!!!

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank freynoso67

Reviewed July 3, 2009

My wife and I just returned from a fabulous stay at Antigua Capilla in San Miguel de Allende. Everything about this place is amazing. Beautiful rooms, great breakfast (included), exceptional service, and an amazing view!
You won't be dissappointed.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 24, 2009

What a treat to find Antigua Capilla on our recent trip to Mexico. The brand new B & B set on a hill overlooking San Miguel feels as though it has been there forever. Maybe it is because of the antique chapel in the central courtyard (it would be a great place for a wedding) or maybe it is simply the elegant Mexican-colonial design. The view of San Miguel and surroundings from the rooftop is stunning, especially at sunset.

We were delighted with the unexpected luxuries like 600 thread count sheets, fresh roses in our room and homemade granola that was part of a tasty Mexican breakfast. The extra touches like a make-up mirror, a CD player and flat screen TV makes this place feel like home. Everything is spotlessly clean.

We stayed in the Santa Anna room which has a bovida ceiling and is decorated with authentic copper pots from the Patzcuaro region. The bathrooms are extravegant with a large shower, two sinks and tile from Delores Hidalgo. Apparently, all the rooms are decorated with art from various Mexican regions.

Antonieta and Fransisco, the charming hosts, are fluent in both Spanish and English and helpful with tours, taxi's, sights, you name it. They really look after their guests.

We both wholeheartedly recommend Antigua Capilla for its atmosphere, aesthetics, service and value.

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 1, 2009

You can't go wrong at Antigua Capilla. Marie and Francisco made me feel like a member of their family, which made my solo trip much more serene. The establishment is scrupulously clean, I couldn't find a spec of dust even. It felt luxurious with many more amenities than I expected, and VERY comfortable rooms. I ate tons at every breakfast, with some new, tasty item presented each time. They went overboard to help me at the slightest request, help with a phone call, whatever. There was an unexpected benefit in being a few minutes from the centro- by the time I left I felt like part of this little neighborhood. And it was very quiet, no roosters crowing or dogs barking when I was there. I was amazed at the view from the rooftop terrace, it was incredibly beautiful and relaxing day and night. Book now, you'll be glad you did.

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled solo
Reviewed April 1, 2009

Our trip to Mexico started out on a great note with the help of Antionetta and Francisco who owns and runs this beautiful B&B. Upon arrival, we were shown into our rooms. I've traveled quite a bit and this place was AMAZING! The beds looked so comfortable, spotless and inviting. The room was spacious and unique that I really felt transported back in time but in luxury! It was clear that they looked into the details of the room from the clean crisp white sheets to the minute details in the bathroom. (I even took pics of their bathroom for some design ideas). One of the great perks that they managed to do was that we can call the U.S. for free from our room. I made use of that once and the signal was clear with no problems at all. Both Antionetta and Francisco made us feel like home. They gave us a tour of their property and anwered all our questions about the area and the decor. They even gave us recommendations on where to go shopping and for dinner which all turned out great.

I would also be remissed not to tell you about the views from the balcony and the breakfast. They have a lounge area up in their rooftop with a beautiful wooden deck filled with flowers. They even have an area that you can grill at. We didn't use it as we wanted to try the local flavors plus we were only there for a couple of days. You can see the whole town from the top. It was a great place to take pictures, to read, and make wishful plans to be invited there one day for a wedding as it would be a perfect place for a destination wedding.

Now the breakfast. I spent 10 days in Mexico and had amazing food the whole time...but this was by far the best breakfast I ever had. The fruit and granola with yogurt was wonderful! We even inquired about where they got the granola, but Antionetta made it. Maybe after reading this, she'll consider selling her granola mix..it was simply the best ganola I ever had!

Thanks for a great time at your place. I hope to come back soon and stay longer this time! :)

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled with friends
Reviewed March 30, 2009

As the name implies, Antigua Capilla is a beautiful B&B newly constructed around an "antique chaple" which the owners lovingly restored. The rooms are large, spacious, and bright, filled with fresh flowers, authentic art work and native pottery. The beds and linens are of top quality, and the showers/baths are tiled with local colors and pattern. The inner courtyard has a bubbling fountain and bright plants and flowers, and the rooftop terrace offers a spectacular view of the town and sunsets. The best part of this place is the gracious hospitality extended to us by the owners, Francisco and Antoinieta, who are experienced innkeepers from San Francisco, and their staff, including Meche, Lupita, and David. We really enjoyed seeing the sights in San Miguel, and coming "home" to Antigua Capilla after a day out was a real treat, something we always looked forward to. We hope to come back again soon.

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled with family
1  Thank PJCHiddenHills_CA
Reviewed March 30, 2009

I recommend this wonderful bit of pleasure to anyone who wants to visit San Miguel and stay in an exceptionally clean, well appointed, comfortable, and beautiful B&B. A true mixture of old and new. The owners are from San Francisco and know how to make guests comfortable and welcome. Enjoy a glass of wine on the top level with a sunset view of the whole town below. A short walk to the jardin, but a great location in the breezes above the city. White down comforters, huge tiled showers, lots of sunlight on tiled floors. Oh, and you can drink the water.

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled with friends