“Breathtaking View from the Roof Terrasse”

Antigua Capilla Bed and Breakfast
Seattle, Washington
“Breathtaking View from the Roof Terrasse”
Reviewed September 30, 2013

I stayed at the Antigua Capilla on my first visit to San Miguel de Allende, and I while they seem to be many beautiful properties to chose from, I was especially drawn to the prospect of a view. And I was not disappointed! The view from the roof was amazing, and I although Mexico was being pummeled by two hurricanes during my stay and the weather was worse than usual, I tried to spend as much time as I could on the roof. But then again it was also tempting to just enjoy the lovely courtyard with the old chappel and an assortment of beautiful hummingbird feeders, and of course the main stars: the hummingbirds. Anybody who enjoys a good flight show will have a great time watching these little guys and their amazing maneuvers. The rooms, as many reviewers have mentioned before me, have everything you'd expect from a 5 star hotel plus individual charm and loving details. I experienced the location up on the hill in a narrow and traffic-free alley as immensely quiet, acknowledging that you are in a Mexican city and certain sounds are not under the control of any property owner. I also enjoyed the hike up a hill on the way home, was appropriately challenged going down the cobble-stoned streets in high heels, and would recommend the use of the friendly and economical taxis to anyone who doesn't enjoy a good city hike. I only wish I could have stayed longer!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank salsaretreat

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (67)
Reviewed September 27, 2013

Have previously stayed in another B&B in san miguel which i thought was a great place to stay. I wanted to try a new place, and I'm glad I did.
Location: it's located about 10min walk to main square in San Miguel. The walk is safe, just a bit hard on the way back due to the fact that it's uphill. That being said, Antigua capilla offers the best view in San Miguel. There's a terrace with seating area that offers great sunset views of san miguel.
Staff: Very friendly and accommodating.
Rooms: The rooms were very comfortable, challenging great hotels with a true authentic mexican flavour. I can tell you that the details of of the house are of great taste and definitely not cheap. Our room had a nice bath tub which just added to our pleasant stay. HD apple TV with premium movies included. Down comforters and pillows. The owners really paid attention to detail. They even had earplugs at bedside so people like me don't fuss of loud church bells in the morning, which can be heard in all of san miguel.
Breakfast: one word Delicious. The breakfast consisted of granola, yogurt, fruid, coffee, wide selection of tea and huevos aogados. All served in talavera pottery.
Overall: this place is a must and for the rates they offer it's unbeatable.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Ismamart
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed September 15, 2013

All I can do is reiterate what everyone has said before me. Antigua Capilla is a veritable crafts museum that showcases some of the finest work in Mexico. Except you get to examine it in your room or as you eat breakfast with a great group of people. If you don't feel like going out for the evening there is easy access in your room to a hard drive chocked full of recent movies and TV series. If that isn't enough, Antoineta goes to great lengths to help you fill your day, making recommendations, reservations and arrangements. Thanks to her I had a great stay in San Miguel. Hands down one of the best places I have ever stayed.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank smokemirrors15
Richmond, Texas, USA
Reviewed September 4, 2013

My husband and I went to San Miguel de Allende for a wedding last weekend, and we picked Antigua Capilla Bed and Breakfast after seeing it was rated no.1 by Trip Advisor. The room was amazing, and it had the most comfortable bed I've ever slept in, and it even had Apple T.V. Antonieta was an amazing host, and she went out of her way to help us, and make us feel like family. We couldn't wait for her amazing breakfast every day. Although the hotel was relatively new, the decorations and ambience made us feel like we were staying in an elegant Hacienda. A very memorable weekend!!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
San Francisco, California
Reviewed September 4, 2013

Wow. Well, thanks to a recommendation from a local American ex-pat, I ended up booking here for a friend's wedding last weekend. The proprietress, Antoinetta couldn't have been more lovely. She greeted me at the door, showed me to a lovely room and proceeded to make the best recommendations in town. She is originally from San Francisco, so she gets the American traveler needs. I'll admit, I am a fan of finding the local scene and exploring, but on this trip, free time was at a premium thanks to wedding activities, but what little we had, she unerringly steered us towards food and experiences that would give us a good flavor for the local experience but satisfied our American time crunches.

Pros:
--The BEDS! The sheets! The smell of the sheets! OMG... I felt like a happy Goldilocks when I laid down the first night. (I heard horror stories about some of the other places people stayed and definitely felt like I got the best deal in town)
--The outlets were all suited for US appliances and were fairly hi-tech with Apple TVs, stereo systems and the like.
--Bathrooms were charmingly decked out and awesome water pressure.
--The view from the roof... gorgeous!
--The Breakfasts... didn't have a bad bite to eat. Local flavors done really well.
--The decor was charming -- clean, not too cluttered with just the right amount of flair.
--Filtered water from the taps -- no need to worry on that count.
Cons:
Nothing that actually has to do with the Capilla.
--Keep in mind that the walk down and up the hill is really suited only for locals, San Francisco natives and billy goats. The sidewalks are narrow and the cobblestones are treacherous. Come prepared with hiking boots or sturdy trekking shoes rather than heels, sandals or flip flops.
--Not many taxi drivers know where the B&B is, so I took a picture of the card and showed it to every taxi driver along with the cross street where we needed to be dropped off.
--The B&B entrance is in a long and narrow alley so don't be scared if your taxi driver dumps you off on the corner and motions you to walk down the alley. It's a well-secured entrance and you'll feel perfectly safe once you're inside. :)

Room Tip: My friends were in Room 8 and they had a killer shower. My room (5) had a balcony and soaking tub in...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank absolutelylawless
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed September 3, 2013

I looked at 20 different hotels and B&B's before choosing this one. I'm very picky about hotels. I don't need them to be overly fancy or trendy, but I do care a great deal that they are beautiful, thoughtful and memorable. I have traveled all over the world and had both amazing and awful experiences. However, we could not have been happier with our stay at this B&B. The room was lovely (as was the entire property itself). Not a single detail was missed, from the architecture to the bedding and even the local wine in the fridge. The hosts Fransisco and Antonietta were lovely and took care of any arrangements that we required including a drivers to and from the airport. The breakfasts were wonderful and they accommodated my gluten-free diet without any issues whatsoever. The rooftop area is particularly gorgeous and we enjoyed sitting up there each day. The B&B is at the top of a steep hill, we took a nice walk down each morning and in the evening, if we were too tired to walk up, it was only a $3 cab ride to get back! The sheets on the beds were so nice that I came home and purchased a set! I can't wait to return to SMA and when I do, I would ONLY stay at Antigua Capilla Bed & Breakfast.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank theyogamama
Orange, California
Reviewed July 25, 2013

We went to San Miguel de Allende just for the weekend and couldn't have chosen a better place to stay!
What makes this B&B so special, besides the perfectly kept amenities, beautiful decoration and clean modern comfortable rooms, is that Francisco and Antonieta personally make you feel like a true guest in their own home. Right from the start they showed us great hospitality, warmly welcoming us and even taking the time to share very good recommendations on San Miguel.
Besides all this, the property is very conveniently located, just a short walk from downtown but far enough to be isolated from all the noise and crowded streets.
We spent a delightful afternoon on the rooftop terrace drinking an excellent local artisanal beer (Dos Aves) while enjoying a priceless view of San Miguel and its pleasant weather.
Delicious and freshly cooked breakfast is complimentary, served by Antonieta herself and the helpful staff.
We are already planning a future trip to San Miguel, in great part only to stay again in Antigua Capilla!
I highly recommend it!