“GREAT!!”

The Restaurant
Cuisines: Contemporary
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Description: THE RESTAURANT, housed in one of San Miguel’s most elegantly colonial settings at Sollano 16, opened in February 2008 featuring Chef Donnie Masterton’s world class cuisine. It is located just steps away from the main square of San Miguel de Allende, the prettiest and most restored/written-about Colonial city in all of Mexico. Offering a full bar, it serves lunch and dinner five days a week in a sun-dappled eighteen century Moroccan courtyard, as well as in their elegant dining salon.Serving global comfort good, THE RESTAURANT’s menu reflects the changing seasons with a focus on the simplicity of fine ingredients. The Chef collaborates with local organic growers, dairy farmers and ranchers to procure the freshest, highest quality and responsibly raised product available. Catering to today’s more experienced, adventurous and health conscious diners, The Restaurant will emphasize quality in food and customer service…as well as a more involved relationship with respect to our food and the land it comes from.
Genoa, Italy
“GREAT!!”
Reviewed September 22, 2013

Food is excellent, service is great. Beautiful place for dinner, or just drinks. Loved Burger night! Went a few times, for dinner and for burgers always enjoyed it.
Its a must stop when in San Miguel

Chicago, Illinois
“Good food, but unexceptional”
Reviewed September 11, 2013

Portions are on the small side. Food is good, but expensive (compared to others in town, cheap compared to US big cities!). I've had several dishes there and all were prepared to US standards (i.e. not very flavorful). The salads are especially good, stick with those. Desserts are have good balance, but again, not very flavorful.

If there were 20% less expensive they'd get four stars. If they were 20% less and their food was more flavorful they'd get five stars.

• Visited September 2013
New York, New York
“Not to be missed.”
Reviewed August 29, 2013

I'm a bit embarrassed to say we ate here four times in one week (up from twice during my last visit). Honestly, this place is the real thing, with exquisite food and lovely service. And I don't know how they do diner of this quality for about $30 to $40 a person (including appetizer, entree and dessert). It's was we pay for a second or third tier restaurant in NYC, and with a chef who trained at Montrachet, this I'd decidedly NOT a second tier restaurant.

Dallas, Texas
“Best Pork Chop I've ever had!”
Reviewed August 28, 2013

The setting, service, and food were exceptional! A thunderstorm came up quickly and they closed the retractable roof. Neat as JerryWorld! Kudos

Visited July 2013
San Miguel de Allende, Mexico
“Good Suiza Burger on Thursday, BUT DO BEWARE!”
Reviewed August 24, 2013

We shared a salad and each had burgers and (horrendously overpriced -MXN$495) wine Thursday night.
The check was MXN$865, which I paid with my Cap One MC credit card, and left a cash tip of MXN$120,.
When the MC charge appeared, it was US$ 76.18 vs US$66.18 given the currency conversion of 13.2125->13.0784 that overnight.
There are criminals in that place!
I'll never return.
AVOID!!!

Donnie M, Owner at The Restaurant, responded to this review, September 17, 2013
Hello Alfred, I have reviewed your check, your voucher that you wrote in the amount and scratched out the tip and the voucher which shows what we charged to Imbursa bank. The amounts are all the same $865.00 in pesos. We charged you 865.00 in pesos to your Cap One MC Credit Card. Whatever they charged you for the exchange rate is solely up to them. The issue you have with your check is with your credit card company. We have no control over what exchange rate they use.
I can understand your frustration in seeing your statement and it appearing that we over charged you but the amount of the check is the same on all three receipts. If this is not the case I would like to see your statement and we can the contact Cap One and try to clear this issue up.
I want to let you want we are an independently own restaurant with 30 employees and we strive to work with them to make our guest happy and for them to work in a welcoming environment. All of your employees work very hard to make our guest feel comfortable and at home. Kindness and honesty are hallmarks of our business. Theft of any sort is not tolerated in our establishment. As I said in my prior email to your person account our prices are based on an average mark up to our costs. Those cost include the cost of the product, payroll, insurance, utilities, maintenance, repairs, rent, social security, advertisement, promotion and employee benefits to name a few. The profit margins in the restaurant business are not huge, 10 to 15% is the norm. It’s more a labor of love. It is my hope that this letter will clear things up and I would like for you to return to The Restaurant as a welcomed guest. If there is anything else I can do please let me know.