“We thoroughly enjoyed our meal at The Restaurant”
Review of The Restaurant

The Restaurant
Cuisines: Contemporary
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Description: THE RESTAURANT, housed in one of San Miguel’s most elegantly colonial settings at Sollano 16, opened in February 2008 featuring Chef Donnie Masterton’s world class cuisine. It is located just steps away from the main square of San Miguel de Allende, the prettiest and most restored/written-about Colonial city in all of Mexico. Offering a full bar, it serves lunch and dinner five days a week in a sun-dappled eighteen century Moroccan courtyard, as well as in their elegant dining salon.Serving global comfort good, THE RESTAURANT’s menu reflects the changing seasons with a focus on the simplicity of fine ingredients. The Chef collaborates with local organic growers, dairy farmers and ranchers to procure the freshest, highest quality and responsibly raised product available. Catering to today’s more experienced, adventurous and health conscious diners, The Restaurant will emphasize quality in food and customer service…as well as a more involved relationship with respect to our food and the land it comes from.
Reviewed September 5, 2012

We loved the space. It’s in a courtyard open to the sky which looked Moorish with a Moorish fountain trickling water (and that had rose pedals in it). The columns were Corinthian (go figure). There was a design shop next door with big windows so you could see into it. It was a nice view. We were brought foccacia with an olive that had mashed anchovies in it. Yum—I wouldn’t have thought of doing that myself. The General Manager, Jorge or “Flash” came to chat and told us that bottles of wine were half price. We asked about ½ bottles and he said “yes, they were half price too”. So we had a ½ bottle of Alamos Malbec, one of our favorites (M$130). For our starter we shared the “Raviolis rellenos de costilla braseada en vino con tomillo fresco; (red wine braised short ribs raviolis with fresh thyme)” (M$120). The sauce was great and the raviolis cooked perfectly. We were happy. For our main we had “Trucha al curry con zanahorias glaseadas en miel, coliflor, almendras y mantequila oscura; (curry dusted trout with honey glazed carrots, cauliflower, almonds and brown butter)” (M$230). The curry and cumin mixture on the trout was just great. Chef Donnie Masterton came to talk and we enjoyed him. He is from LA and cooked and catered and executive-chefed there before coming to San Miguel de Allende. He is talented. For dessert we shared on “Tarta de Mango y mora azul con crema batida de albahaca; warm mango and blueberry tart with basil whipped cream” (M$85). The tart and the crust was very good but that whipped cream with silvers of basil was sooooooo good. A very good meal and an enjoyable evening. We spent M$585 plus tip.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,116)

Reviewed August 3, 2012

We enjoyed our final evening in San Miguel at this excellent restuarant. International menu with Mexican accents. Professional service. Interesting wine selections with fair pricing. Set in a spacious old building the atmosphere is calm & encourages quiet conversation with friends. We will be back on our next visit to San Miguel.

Reviewed July 30, 2012

My friends and I visited this restaurant a couple of weeks ago. We had dined at it before every time we visited San Miguel, a group of couples and friends. All our past experiences had been very good. But this time we experienced the worst service I have ever encountered in my life. They totally ruined our night. Starting with the Maitre who could not be any more pompous and arrogant. The waiters kept overlooking us, had a rude attitude awfuk just awful. I used to alway recommend this place but I will never ever go back. I warn you all if you want bad service spoiling your night out then go ahead and go! Imagine how bad it was that we voiced our complaint to the Maitre and as we left the waiters insulted us! Definitely not "fine" dining service!

5  Thank CutbertoParraNicolin
Donnie M, Owner at The Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded August 5, 2012

Dear Valued Guest, I am extremely sorry that you and your guests had an unpleasant dining experience with us. As the chef and owner of The Restaurant this type of negative service from my staff is not acceptable and I assure you we will take the right measures to correct the problem.
Donnie MAstrerton

Reviewed July 12, 2012

Beautiful setting with gourmet food! Great service. We lucked out ... that hey had 1/2 price on all their bottles of wine!! Very romantic outdoor garden with Moroccan details. Order the capese salad and share a delicious ribeye with humongous onion rings!! Yummy!!

Reviewed July 7, 2012

Lovely site but since the service was so bad I imagine they cater to one time tourists only and not repeat loyal customers. The menu is small with great fresh items, my kind of food. The shrimp and octupus polenta was cooked well, but bland. Once we got our food the server ignored us, never offered us another drink or to see is everything was okay. At these prices which are steep I expect excellent, professional service. Our bill was $850 pesos plus tip. We had one entree each, one drink each and one shared dessert. Too bad. Next time Im in san miguel which is often, Ill go for something else.

1  Thank boogies75