All reviews former convent petite suite buffet style main courtyard comfortable room rooftop garden stayed here for nights front desk staff close to the main square chilaquiles breakfast was included quiet street within walking distance our honeymoon nice breakfast quiet at night every morning
Selected filters
Reviewed May 13, 2018

I hate to give this hotel a poor rating. It is a beautiful place, gorgeous room and friendly staff. But none of our party slept more than a few hours the whole time we were there (3 nights on a weekend in May).
They were shooting fireworrks ALL over town ALL night long ( that is no exageration).
All the guests in the hotel and most of the tourists in town were complain8ng about it.
The explanation from the hotel staff and from the locals is that they do this every weekend in May to celebrate various holidays. But apparently there are no restrictions to the times they can shoot off fireworks or if there are, there seems to be no desire to enforce any restrictions. In reality, it’s just an excuse for a bunch of people to shoot off fireworks indescrimentently. All NIGHT LONG!
I realize that one hotel cannot stop this practice ( or at least limit it to reasonable hours during the evening) but I would think that if most of the hotels in town decided to do something about this, they would have considerable clout.
This is the 4th time I’ve been in San Miguel and I’ve never had this problem. But I won’t be back. Too bad...such a lovely place!

Room tip: Don’t book on the weekends. Fireworks ALL night long. Not sure what the weekdays are like. Never had this problem in San Miguel before.
Date of stay: May 2018
2  Thank Sherrill R
Reviewed May 8, 2018 via mobile

We drove here from GTO and navigated the cobblestone streets to this property, parking right out front, curbside. The check in process was flawless and very cordial. There’s a center courtyard that is beautifully maintained where Monday through Friday you can have breakfast to order which is included in your stay. Breakfast on weekends is a buffet. The room was on the second floor – there are no elevators. It was very spacious and wonderfully accommodating with a king size bed and lounge chair as well as a daybed. The bathroom was well appointed. The Wi-Fi signal at that end of the building was tenuous at best. When we mentioned it to the staff they even brought in a Wi-Fi extender. Your location is near so much activity – cathedrals, restaurants, and points of interest. For those of you who wonder, we felt safe at all times. The area is not exactly noise free – there is a kennel of some sort nearby that generally awakened us at dawn’s light But otherwise it was remarkably calm. We would definitely come back here again.

Date of stay: May 2018
Reviewed May 5, 2018 via mobile

First time I visited this boutique hotel and San Miguel so didn’t know what to expect. El Santuario is in a great strategic location, 2 block from the town center with great shops on the way. Very reasonsble price for the quality of the hotel. It’s clean and have great staff that are dedicated to help as much as they can.

Trip type: Traveled with family
Reviewed May 2, 2018

We stayed at this hotel for 3 nights in April 2018 to attend a wedding. The hotel is very well located, close to the centre of San Miguel de Allende, and the central courtyard, where you come into the hotel, is very pretty and appealing with its bougainvillea.

We were booked into a master suite at the hotel. Maybe I had unrealistic expectations of a “master suite” but the room, though comfortable, was fairly modest.

However the most negative aspect of our stay concerned payment! The hotel “blocked” the cost of the first night’s stay on my bank card before we arrived but then also charged me the cost of the 3 nights as soon as we checked in. When I went online after checking in and checked my bank account I found that 4 nights were listed as “saldo por aplicar”, which suggested that 4 nights were going to be charged to my account. It also meant that this money was not available to me to spend. The hotel assured me that the first “blocked” night would be unblocked, but by the time I left and flew back to London it was still blocked. To be fair to the hotel the blocked amount was eventually unblocked, but it meant that during our stay in San Miguel I was not able to use the blocked money and I left the hotel not sure whether the money would be unblocked or not. To compound matters I found the hotel staff not very helpful or cooperative in dealing with the issue.

The best thing about the hotel was the breakfast served in the courtyard by the delightful Abraham and his colleagues! A real treat!

• Trip type: Traveled as a couple
5  Thank brutcj_2009
Reviewed April 15, 2018 via mobile

Lovely Spanish colonial building in central SMA, close to El Jardín, central plaza. Beautiful courtyard for breakfast and just sitting. Large, comfortable rooms with high ceilings and beautifully decorated in Spanish colonial style. Delicious breakfast (including eggs/chilaquiles) and attentive service. Welcoming and helpful front desk staff. Come stay here, you won’t want to leave.

3  Thank richkru
Luis Alberto G, Guest Relations Manager at Hacienda El Santuario, responded to this reviewResponded April 16, 2018

Dear Richkru: Thank you so much for sharing your kind comment with us. We're so glad you enjoyed your stay in the hotel, we appreciate the time you took to write this. We would love to have you here one more time, you are welcome in here whenever you want to come back, as we in here, "This is your house". Warmest regards and see you next time.