“Very close to city center and great value”
Review of Hostel Alcatraz

Hostel Alcatraz
Reviewed May 1, 2014 via mobile

The hostel was a last minute booking and I'm glad I made it. I was within two blocks of the city center and it was such a great value for how close it was. I was in a shared room with 3 other girls. There is one shared bathroom for 8 hostel guests and it was never a timing issue for me since I was up before 7am each morning. The only downside to the hostel was that the lockers were not in the room instead they were kept on the downstairs level and they were very small and could only hold small valuables and a few pairs of clothes. I ended up tossing my backpack in the furthest corner under my bed and hoped no one would take anything. Other than the lockers Everything else was fine. Hostel Was in a Tranquil area so I was able to get Plenty of Sleep and the receptionist Was also Very Nice. I would definitely stay here again as the value and location were great

Stayed: March 2014, traveled solo
1  Thank Santana P

Reviewed March 3, 2014

I stayed at this hostel for ten days and loved it! Everyone that works at Hostel Alcatraz was so friendly, I felt like part of the family. I wore earplugs to bed, so the street noise didn't bother me, but if you want a very quiet room, ask to stay in the back of the hostel, away from the street. The location of the hostel is perfect for seeing everything in town. You can cook and keep food in the fridge. The book at the reception area has lots of ideas for day trips and sight-seeing. When I return to San Miguel, I'll stay here again. I felt welcome and safe, and I was able to completely relax and enjoy getting to know the town and the people.

Room Tip: Rooms in the back are quieter due to less street noise.
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled solo
3  Thank bknn
Reviewed February 6, 2013

I enjoyed my stay here. It is probably the most affordable place to stay in town. It is close to the main plaza and you can't get lost. The receptionist Jose and Rosa are my favorite people in San Miguel. They talk to you like friends not guests. This quaint hostel is clean and efficient. The owner has another hostel near by but this one is the better of the two. Everyone I met during my stay was friendly and open to talking about their experiences around town. The public library is next door and there are some great eateries and cafes near by. I love this little town to relax. Be sure to visit one of the hot springs in San Miguel. The bus stop is not far from the hostel. I attended a home and garden tour sponsored by the public library next door led by Americans residing in San Miguel. It was $20 but it was well worth it. Funds go to the public library.

What I liked about this hostel is that the women and men's sleeping quarters were on opposite sides of the building which as a female solo traveler is important to me for safety. The kitchen is a shared area and there is a lovely patio and living are near reception to read a book or work on your laptop. My only suggestion would be for the owner to buy new pillows as some are turning yellow or brown. The sheets seemed clean but thank God I brought my own pillow. They have large closets and cabinets to store your belongings.

Nonetheless, I really liked the feel of this hostel and would recommend to solo travelers.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled solo
3  Thank travelingmatt2011
Reviewed January 17, 2013

I was at this hostel for ten days over the Christmas holidays and found this hostel clean, basic and centrally located. It was a very short walk on well lit street to the central plaza and most nights in the female dorm I had the room to myself. I would not agree with the review that said that the hostel was noisy as even during the Christmas week I did not find it so. The bathrooms and dorms were thoroughly cleaned each day and I even had a few changes of linen. A nice feature of this hostel is the laundry service. As my clothes selection was rather minimal I appreciated the 12 pesos a pound laundry service. The wifi Internet was a bit sporadic but Juan's Cafe was just across the street and this place had both excellent comida and dependable wife. The staff was friendly and efficient and I felt quit safe in this hostel as a single female traveller.

Room Tip: I think all rooms are about the same. I like to sleep next to a window but this is more of a persona...
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed February 8, 2011

Hostel Alcatraz is really the bare minimum...
It's cheap, and very simple.
The bad thing is that it's noisy. When I've been there, it smelt very very bad.
We did not sleep well because of the noise and the bad quality of beds...

But it is a good place for bagpackers, because of the price, but don't go there if you want to rest!

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed August 2, 2010

Stayed in the hostel for one day (which is enough for San Miguel de Allende).
Online I booked for 120 MXN and paid 10% in advance. In the hostel, they did not know about my booking and instead I had to pay 140MXN and my deposit was gone, too.
Well, 152MXN is still cheap for such a central location, but not the right way to do business.

The rooms were clean and very simple. Be aware not to take a room next to the street. It is awful noisy and you will not sleep at all. Furthermore the neighbors enjoy partying a lot, which means fireworks during the night.

There is no WLAN, no breakfast.

The lady running the place is nice and friendly.

So, it is a cheap way to stay a night, just bring your earplugs.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled solo
Reviewed April 12, 2010

Having arrived in SMA late at night, I was not sure what I was getting in to, when the taxi driver carried me from the bus station to the hostel. I got there around 10 pm. The staff was very friendly, my room was great, especially since I had it all to myself, (even the mattress was comfortable) and I was able to stroll down the street to find something to eat. I slept very well, The next day I was delighted to see the charming courtyard, the great kitchen, the clean bathrooms, hot showers, and after walking around SMA for hours, to discover that the hostel is in the perfect location for walking everywhere, I was very happy! I met lots of great travelers from around the world. I highly recommend Hostel Alcatraz, and think it's a super bargain at $12 for a dorm bed.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled solo